L2 EVSE doesn't shut off when leaf is fully charged

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black2014SL

I bought a 2014 SL a few weeks ago. I was charging it with the 120v charger it came with for first week until my AeroVironment L2 EVSE https://www.amazon.com/Nissan-LEAF-...89&sr=8-8&keywords=aerovironment+leaf+charger came in and I was able to get a 50amp circuit ran off the main breaker box. Charging with the 120v I never had an issue. I installed the L2 a couple weeks ago and at first it would charge fine. As in, it would charge to 100%, the 3 blue lights on the car would be solid for a few minutes then shut off, then the EVSE would go from charging to ready to charge state. I could leave it plugged in and it would stay in the ready to charge state.

Starting last week I went in the garage and I could hear the EVSE tripping back and forth from charging" to "ready to charge" state every 5-10 seconds. This seemed very odd to me and I would just go push the stop button, check the car and very it got 100% charge. About 3 days ago I went to drive the car and it was flat out dead. Door locks, nothing would work. I found the 12v battery was dead. It looked factory but I threw it on my charger anyways and it would never charge back up. I went and bought a optima yellow top 51r and put that in. Everything seemed great, even the L2 charger shut off (went in to ready to charge state) when the leaf hit 100% and it stayed off. I had heard a bad 12v battery could cause this issue where the charger won't shut off when it gets to 100% so I figured this was the fix.

Well I still have this problem. I've only had the new 12v battery for 3 days now. It tests just fine, as it should. But I am still having the issue where I plug in my L2 EVSE and the leaf will charge to 100%, but the EVSE keeps changing states between ready to charge and charge every 5-10 seconds. From what I understand, the EVSE just supplies power, and the charger is built in the car. Once the car gets 100% charge it will still "charge" for a bit as it balances the cells. But then the charger stops, and therefor the EVSE should go into a standby state and stay there.

Today I thought I'd try the 12v reset and disconnect the ground for 5 minutes. Then I went for a drive and took about 30% off the battery and came home. I plugged in the L2 and it starts charging just fine. I would check on it every 10 minutes or so and I could see the charging light on the EVSE start to flash quicker which means its close to full charge. After about 2 hours the 3 dash lights on the leaf were fully lit and the car read 100% charge. However the EVSE went from having the charging light flashing, to it just being solid lit as it if was still charging. So I let it sit another hour and no change other than the 3 blue lights shut off indicating its not charging. Although the EVSE charging light is lit and my electric current detector pen goes off when I touch the cable meaning its got power going to the car.

So I have stopped it and I have hooked the 120v charger up to it even though it has 100% charge. (Edited after posting) Just after posting this the 3 dash lights are now off and the L1 charger is in standby state. So it seems to be the issue is just when I charge with my L2 charger.

I'm not sure how public L2 chargers work, but when I was at work I plugged it in to charge on their L2 charger. I was busy and never got around to moving the car after 4 hours so it sat there on the charger for 8 hours. I noticed the charging station charged me for the full 8 hours. I'm not sure if this meant the car was charging that long or if it just charged me because I never took it off the charger. Did it keep charging because my L2 on the car is having issues?

The next time I have it on the L2 and it starts flipping back in forth from charging to ready to charge, I will take a quick video and post it.

Any suggestions on what I should take a look at? My bluetooth OBDII is late from Amazon so I can't get any leafspy readings yet. Hopefully by tomorrow.

I know L1 and L2 use the same port on the car. So does that mean that if the L1 charger works as it should, the L2 should as well and that rules out an issue with the car? Or is there a separate component inside the car that L2 uses that L1 does not? Just trying to 100% rule out an issue with the car.

Black2014SL said:
I know L1 and L2 use the same port on the car. So does that mean that if the L1 charger works as it should, the L2 should as well and that rules out an issue with the car? Or is there a separate component inside the car that L2 uses that L1 does not? Just trying to 100% rule out an issue with the car.

There is only one charger in the car. If it works fine with the Level1 EVSE or with other Level2 EVSE units, then the car should be okay. As already suggested, it is most likely that your new Level2 EVSE is defective.

Thank you for confirming that. I have already ordered a replacement and am getting a refund on this one. I'm guessing in my situation the car keeps telling the EVSE to shutoff and it's trying but fails and trips back to charging then finally goes into fault state. The thing that worried me is the EVSE at my work didn't shut off after car was full when I used it (I've only used it once and it's my first time ever at a pay charger). And by shutoff I mean it didn't stop charging me per hour. That must be their way of saying don't hog the EV spot?

Replacement EVSE will be here Tuesday. Will update then. Thanks for the feedback baustin and LeftieBiker!

Basically if it works properly on L1 then it should work the same on L2. The car only analyzes the pilot. It could care less about the voltage L1 and L2 are EVSE distinctions only, not the cars.

The car does care about the voltage; that's the reason why, when you plug in with an active timer set to delay charging, the car temporarily switches the EVSE on. That gives the car an opportunity to see what the supply voltage is, so it can work backwards from a programmed "be charged by" time to decide when to have the EVSE switch on "for real". Every evening while I was commuting, I'd hear the "ka-chack,.. ka-CHUNK" cycle as my LEAF discovered, for the five hundredth time, that the EVSE at my garage's grid coordinates was a 240V installation, and then went to sleep for the night.

The power conversion task of generating 350-ish VDC battery voltage from a 120VAC source is a little different from the task of generating it from 240V. Not horribly different; they both call for voltage step-up. But it's conceivable that just one of the two regimes would stress some marginal component in the power converter enough to cause a problem. Switches would have to stay ON for higher duty cycles on 120VAC than they would on 240; maybe there's a pulse transformer whose core saturates too early, or a transistor that overheats. Or maybe the higher supply voltage at 240V (plus who-knows-what local line noise) is too much for a capacitor or a transient-clamping component.

Weird stuff happens, and not just in software.

If your Leaf is like mine or my eGolf it only cares about current. On both cars I tested the 120VAC current and in violation of the J1772 spec they happily charged at their maximum current. The spec limits L1 current to 16A max but the car does not care.

I have not tested my B250e so I can not say what the Tesla charger does.

I got the replacement EVSE in and swapped it out. Started charging the car today on it, no problem. The car got to 100% and the 3 blue dash lights went solid for a few minutes then shut out. But the Charging Vehicle light is still on the EVSE and flashing every few seconds. It's been doing this for about an hour now after the charging lights on the Leaf dash went out. It should have stopped by now.

On LeafSpy I cleared all the DTC but there are a few that keep coming back instantly after clearing them.

B29C1 9409 CHARGER EVSE VC-98

P3171 000B EV/HEV PD Module System EVC-241
P3170 000B EV/HEV PD Module System EVC-241
P316C 000B EV/HEV PD Module System EVC-238

I have read about people with similar issue and software update resolved it. Anyone have any ideas what is going on with my leaf?

My battery stats are as follows: AHr=58.91 SOH=90.07% 395.77V Hx=87.52% 37QCs & 1248 L1/L2s, 256GIDs
Overall in good shape I think?

As the second EVSE didn't seem to change any thing and I have some DTC, I took my car to dealer I bought it from to be checked out.

I found the below thread for a TSB NTB16-006. Has anyone heard of this TSB before? Is the PDM covered in the 5yr 60k warranty?

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/latest-uploads/28158-ntb16-006-a.html

"If you have the following codes B29C1, P3171, 03170 and p316C, then probably the PDM need to be replaced, really a relay inside the PDM are bad and need to repack it but you need to take out the PDM and replace or repair"

I also found this which fits my issue: http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Leaf/2013%20LEAF/VC.pdf

B29C1 - EVSE • PDM (Power Delivery Module) (Signal stuck high): After charging is completed, AC power source continues to be input even though the PDM (Power Delivery Module) charging is stopped.

Possible Causes:
Harness and connector (Normal charge port circuit is open or shorted.)
EVSE
PDM (Power Delivery Module)

Issue persists on replacement EVSE so I believe the issue is with PDM or the harness. I read about someone getting water stuck inside the connector before causing weird issues.

Has anyone heard or had this issue before?

Black2014SL said:

B29C1 - EVSE • PDM (Power Delivery Module) (Signal stuck high): After charging is completed, AC power source continues to be input even though the PDM (Power Delivery Module) charging is stopped.

Possible Causes:
Harness and connector (Normal charge port circuit is open or shorted.)
EVSE
PDM (Power Delivery Module)

Issue persists on replacement EVSE so I believe the issue is with PDM or the harness. I read about someone getting water stuck inside the connector before causing weird issues.

Has anyone heard or had this issue before?

Sounds like it could indeed be your problem. I do find it a bit strange that it doesn't happen with the other EVSEs, which keeps some sort of odd interaction between the your car and that model EVSE in mind. If it's possible to find some brave LEAF owner willing to try your EVSE, that would be a good data point.

If your car decides to work on the dealer's EVSE, they might insist there's nothing wrong with the car. Document everything in case you have to make your case to Nissan.

The dealer performed NTB6-016 and reprogrammed the PDM. They charged it to full on their L2 and claimed everything worked as it should and no error codes were thrown during or after charging. After the 30 mile drive home I threw it on my EVSE to charge to full to test. Once the car was full and dash lights shut off, the EVSE Charging Vehicle light was still lit. So I still seem to have an issue.

I checked LeafSpy and this time I do not have the 3 PDM error codes (P3171, 03170 and p316C). I only have the B291C 2408 CHARGER EVSE VC-98 error code. So at least the reprogramming fixed some of my problems.

I find it hard to believe two AeroVironment EVSE in a row are faulty. I have been ordering from Amazon so maybe they have a bad batch. From what I understand these are the Nissan recommended EVSE's. I am going to give AV customer service a call tomorrow to see what they think. The one thing I noticed is when doing the light test function on it (hold start and stop button for 3 seconds), it also doesn't go in to Ready to Charge state. Per the manual, when doing this test, the lights should illuminated going from top to bottom, then back to the top, and once done the Ready to Charge light should light back up. To me this sounds like a bad EVSE.

What EVSE do you guys recommend? I prefer a plug type so I can take it with me if I sell the house down the road.

Give AeroVironment Customer Service a chance to address your problem. I have been using my AeroVironment 30-ampere EVSE without incident on a daily basis since June 2011. I also have a Clipper Creek HCS-50P (40-ampere output with 50-ampere circuit required) at my workshop garage and will recommend either unit without reservations, although the AeroVironment is a bit high priced for a 30-ampere unit (40-ampere circuit required).

To the OP, don't know if you left the comment, but on the Amazon page you linked to in your first post, one of the reviews stated: "Not bad but not sure why my charging sign is on all the time". Seems like the issue is with the EVSE...

GerryAZ said:
Give AeroVironment Customer Service a chance to address your problem. I have been using my AeroVironment 30-ampere EVSE without incident on a daily basis since June 2011. I also have a Clipper Creek HCS-50P (40-ampere output with 50-ampere circuit required) at my workshop garage and will recommend either unit without reservations, although the AeroVironment is a bit high priced for a 30-ampere unit (40-ampere circuit required).

I meant to call them last week but didn't get around to it. I had the car in the shop getting the bumper replaced due to some kid rear ending me 2 days after buying the car. I'll give them a call tonight after work or tomorrow but I'm disappointed to have two of their units have the exact same issue, what are the chances. I have it connected to a 50amp circuit

alozzy said:
To the OP, don't know if you left the comment, but on the Amazon page you linked to in your first post, one of the reviews stated: "Not bad but not sure why my charging sign is on all the time". Seems like the issue is with the EVSE...

That was not me but I did notice that after I sent the first one back. That comment and my back to back problem EVSE is why I am leaning towards getting a Clipper Creek.

I just pulled it off the charging station at my work. It charged to full and the station read 0w going to the car. Also no error codes like I get when charging at home on the AV EVSE. So at this point everything points to bad EVSE. Will update after I replace EVSE or talk to AV customer service.

I called AV customer service and they took my contact info and brief description of the issue. They said I would get a call or email within 24-48 hours from a tech. Being it was Saturday I waited until Tuesday night before I said screw it and put in the return for the AV unit. I ordered the clipper creek HCS-40p which just got here tonight. I did finally get a call from AV this morning, which went to voice mail because I was working.

I just got done charging the leaf with the new EVSE and it worked as it should! Car dash lights shutoff and it stopped charging. The EVSE charging vehicle light turned off. The car also did not throw the B29C1 EVSE DTC error code!

Thank you to everyone who chimed in. You're input is much appreciated!

i have the exact same problem with chargepoint l2 chargers! Other forum members ridiculed me and said it was impossible! Anyways, try this. I will try it and report back. However, it may take a week or 2 for me to report back because i do not own a l2 evse. i have to use public chargers occasionally and usually just the l1 evse that came with the car.

1. use the buttons in the steering wheel to choose the correct level of charger you are using for the battery estimator.

2. if this fails, use the buttons in the steering wheel to turn off the charger using the timer.

3. it might be a proprietary evse to car communication issue. Try to borrow an official nissan l2 evse, the one that comes standard with the charge package with a new 2018 leaf. use that and see if the problem goes away.

4. please report back the results. i have no access to a nissan official l2 evse. thanks.

Back