All4Leaf
Delivery Date: 16 Apr 2015

Newbie question: Any quick visual unique identifier for a battery pack?

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:07 am

Hi,

I am relatively newbie to this forum - so kindly let me know if I should post this question elsewhere.

I am trying to find out if every Nissan Leaf battery pack has some sort of unique identifier (think like VIN but for battery pack).

I got a letter from Nissan about some recalls - just want to make sure that when I give my Leaf to the dealership it comes back with its original battery pack untouched.

I know I am being a bit paranoid :oops: but like I said, newbie question - please bear with me.

Thanks,

P.S. The recalls are about the front passenger airbag deployment and air conditioning system line.
U.S. Department of Energy cites electric cars as making up about a third of all vehicles on the road in 1900. In 1911, the New York Times even called existing electric vehicles “ideal.”
https://energy.gov/articles/history-electric-car

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: Newbie question: Any quick visual unique identifier for a battery pack?

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:24 am

Why do you think they might want to take your battery pack?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:44 am

I would not say "paranoid", but supremely careful.

If you wanted to confirm this, I would charge the battery to 100% the night before you leave your car at the dealer, and run leafspy.... Get screen shots on your phone of the numbers. Then do it again when you get your car back... The numbers should be the same.

You can figure that Nissan would have no reason to swap out your battery with another of EXACTLY the same condition. I could see if they wanted to swap your good battery with an old one, then it would be easy to see on Leafspy.

Dooglas
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 314779

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:59 am

Considering the labor involved in a battery swap, the donor battery would have to be pretty far gone for that to make sense - and you would notice that immediately. Sure, take Leaf Spy readings if you want to assure yourself, but isn't this like worrying about a dealer swapping out your gasoline engine when you are in for a service?
2013 Leaf SV - lease ended, 2016 Leaf S30

All4Leaf

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:34 am

Dooglas wrote:Considering the labor involved in a battery swap, the donor battery would have to be pretty far gone for that to make sense - and you would notice that immediately. Sure, take Leaf Spy readings if you want to assure yourself, but isn't this like worrying about a dealer swapping out your gasoline engine when you are in for a service?

Yes sir you are right; it would be equivalent to having gas engine swapped. It's just that I have had a friend who took his 2016 Nissan SV to a dealership and he is quite sure 'some' tinkering happened because his battery/range are not same as before.

I like the way you put it Dooglas - i.e. it's like having your gas engine swapped. Bearing that in mind, I will put out my fears and try to get my mind to get used to an electric car dealer visits.

Thanks
U.S. Department of Energy cites electric cars as making up about a third of all vehicles on the road in 1900. In 1911, the New York Times even called existing electric vehicles “ideal.”

All4Leaf

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:35 am

powersurge wrote:I would not say "paranoid", but supremely careful.

If you wanted to confirm this, I would charge the battery to 100% the night before you leave your car at the dealer, and run leafspy.... Get screen shots on your phone of the numbers. Then do it again when you get your car back... The numbers should be the same.

You can figure that Nissan would have no reason to swap out your battery with another of EXACTLY the same condition. I could see if they wanted to swap your good battery with an old one, then it would be easy to see on Leafspy.

Thanks powersurge.

TheLostPetrol
Delivery Date: 21 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 307105

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:51 pm

All4Leaf wrote:I am trying to find out if every Nissan Leaf battery pack has some sort of unique identifier (think like VIN but for battery pack).

LeafSpy has been reported on this forum to show a battery serial number alternating with the VIN every few seconds on Android. I myself can't confirm this, since I don't have Android.
2017-12-16 New Prius Prime
2018-02-21 Used pearl white 2015 LEAF SV Mfd 2014-07 In-service 2015-02-27
2018-02-21 26,938 mi AHr=60.22 SOH=96.98% Hx=90.73% 1 QC 988 L1/L2
2018-07-01 31,601 mi AHr=58.05 SOH=93.48% Hx=87.03% 11 QC 1223 L1/L2

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:38 pm

TheLostPetrol wrote:
All4Leaf wrote:I am trying to find out if every Nissan Leaf battery pack has some sort of unique identifier (think like VIN but for battery pack).

LeafSpy has been reported on this forum to show a battery serial number alternating with the VIN every few seconds on Android. I myself can't confirm this, since I don't have Android.

I can confirm what TheLostPetrol says for my '13 Leaf as I run Leaf Spy Pro on Android and looked at this in the past two days myself.

Also, I posted about this a bit before viewtopic.php?p=493308#p493308. I originally thought it was a bug.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jake14mw
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2017

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:46 am

All4Leaf wrote:Hi,

I am relatively newbie to this forum - so kindly let me know if I should post this question elsewhere.

I am trying to find out if every Nissan Leaf battery pack has some sort of unique identifier (think like VIN but for battery pack).

I got a letter from Nissan about some recalls - just want to make sure that when I give my Leaf to the dealership it comes back with its original battery pack untouched.

I know I am being a bit paranoid :oops: but like I said, newbie question - please bear with me.

Thanks,

P.S. The recalls are about the front passenger airbag deployment and air conditioning system line.

What year Leaf has these recalls?

pyromancy5
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2017
Leaf Number: 337249

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:54 am

jake14mw wrote:
All4Leaf wrote:Hi,

Thanks,

What year Leaf has these recalls?

I have no recalls open, but you can check here:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
2014 Leaf SL

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”