Newbie question: Any quick visual unique identifier for a battery pack?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All4Leaf

Hi,

I am relatively newbie to this forum - so kindly let me know if I should post this question elsewhere.

I am trying to find out if every Nissan Leaf battery pack has some sort of unique identifier (think like VIN but for battery pack).

I got a letter from Nissan about some recalls - just want to make sure that when I give my Leaf to the dealership it comes back with its original battery pack untouched.

I know I am being a bit paranoid :oops: but like I said, newbie question - please bear with me.

Thanks,

P.S. The recalls are about the front passenger airbag deployment and air conditioning system line.

I would not say "paranoid", but supremely careful.

If you wanted to confirm this, I would charge the battery to 100% the night before you leave your car at the dealer, and run leafspy.... Get screen shots on your phone of the numbers. Then do it again when you get your car back... The numbers should be the same.

You can figure that Nissan would have no reason to swap out your battery with another of EXACTLY the same condition. I could see if they wanted to swap your good battery with an old one, then it would be easy to see on Leafspy.

Considering the labor involved in a battery swap, the donor battery would have to be pretty far gone for that to make sense - and you would notice that immediately. Sure, take Leaf Spy readings if you want to assure yourself, but isn't this like worrying about a dealer swapping out your gasoline engine when you are in for a service?

Dooglas said:
Considering the labor involved in a battery swap, the donor battery would have to be pretty far gone for that to make sense - and you would notice that immediately. Sure, take Leaf Spy readings if you want to assure yourself, but isn't this like worrying about a dealer swapping out your gasoline engine when you are in for a service?

Yes sir you are right; it would be equivalent to having gas engine swapped. It's just that I have had a friend who took his 2016 Nissan SV to a dealership and he is quite sure 'some' tinkering happened because his battery/range are not same as before.

I like the way you put it Dooglas - i.e. it's like having your gas engine swapped. Bearing that in mind, I will put out my fears and try to get my mind to get used to an electric car dealer visits.

Thanks

powersurge said:
I would not say "paranoid", but supremely careful.

If you wanted to confirm this, I would charge the battery to 100% the night before you leave your car at the dealer, and run leafspy.... Get screen shots on your phone of the numbers. Then do it again when you get your car back... The numbers should be the same.

You can figure that Nissan would have no reason to swap out your battery with another of EXACTLY the same condition. I could see if they wanted to swap your good battery with an old one, then it would be easy to see on Leafspy.

Thanks powersurge.

All4Leaf said:
I am trying to find out if every Nissan Leaf battery pack has some sort of unique identifier (think like VIN but for battery pack).
LeafSpy has been reported on this forum to show a battery serial number alternating with the VIN every few seconds on Android. I myself can't confirm this, since I don't have Android.

TheLostPetrol said:
All4Leaf said:
LeafSpy has been reported on this forum to show a battery serial number alternating with the VIN every few seconds on Android. I myself can't confirm this, since I don't have Android.
I can confirm what TheLostPetrol says for my '13 Leaf as I run Leaf Spy Pro on Android and looked at this in the past two days myself.

Also, I posted about this a bit before http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=493308#p493308. I originally thought it was a bug.

All4Leaf said:
Hi,

I am relatively newbie to this forum - so kindly let me know if I should post this question elsewhere.

I got a letter from Nissan about some recalls - just want to make sure that when I give my Leaf to the dealership it comes back with its original battery pack untouched.

I know I am being a bit paranoid :oops: but like I said, newbie question - please bear with me.

Thanks,

P.S. The recalls are about the front passenger airbag deployment and air conditioning system line.

What year Leaf has these recalls?

jake14mw said:
All4Leaf said:
Hi,

Thanks,

I have no recalls open, but you can check here:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

pyromancy5 said:
jake14mw said:
All4Leaf said:
Hi,

Thanks,

I have no recalls open, but you can check here:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Thanks very much. There were recalls for my 2014 SL, but when I put in my VIN, it lists nothing. I assume that means that the recall work was already performed on my car before I bought it used.

Back