Charging faster than display on 110?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oofy32

Hi all, just bought a 2015 Nissan leaf model s with 11 out of 12 battery capacity bars lit up and 45k miles. I only have level 1 charging in the USA at 110v.

Last night I ran it down to 15 miles of remaining range and the display was warning me that the battery was low and said it would require something like 17hrs to fully charge on 110v. I plugged it in and it's showing 100% this morning about 13hrs later. Not sure when it hit 100% since I checked so soon as I woke up.

Why does the display not match the charging time? Or do I have a battery issue?

Thanks so much!

Oofy32 said:
Hi all, just bought a 2015 Nissan leaf model s with 11 out of 12 battery capacity bars lit up and 45k miles. I only have level 1 charging in the USA at 110v.

Last night I ran it down to 15 miles of remaining range and the display was warning me that the battery was low and said it would require something like 17hrs to fully charge on 110v. I plugged it in and it's showing 100% this morning about 13hrs later. Not sure when it hit 100% since I checked so soon as I woke up.

Why does the display not match the charging time? Or do I have a battery issue?

Thanks so much!

Estimated charging times are usually too large. L1 or 120V charging estimates more so.

With a capacity bar lost, your battery should be about 16.5 kWh to 18 kWh @ 20C. I suspect you don't have a way to measure battery temperature.

At LBW (Low Battery Warning), you would have about 3.5 kWh left. You add a little more than 1 kW into the battery on 120V charging. Or 1kWh per hour. So 13 hours of charging would take to battery to more than 16.5 kWh (3.5kWh + 13kWh) or a bit more, about correct. The capacity would be less at lower temperatures.

Note that 100% isn't complete, did charging stop? The blue lights turn off?

Display range aka the GOM or Guess Oh Meter isn't very useful. LBW happens at the same remaining energy, but the GOM can read anything from 24 miles to less than 9 miles, depending on recent driving. I've seen less than 9 miles at the top of a steep climb with a lot more energy left than LBW.

My experience has been that estimated charge times displayed on the dash are always longer than actual charge times (on both cars when new and after battery deterioration) so your experience is normal. By the way, nominal household voltages in the USA are 120 (receptacles and lights) and 240 (large appliances). I almost always charge on Level 2 (240 volts), but I know that Level 1 (120 volts) charging times are even more inflated. Enjoy your car!

Thank you so much for the information. So much technical stuff to learn!

Yes I believe charging stopped as the display read 100% and the blue lights were off.

I am going this week to the Nissan dealership to have it checked over to make sure everything looks good but so far I'm really enjoying driving it!

Thanks so much again for your help , WetEV!

Japan has 100V instead of 120V. The L1 charging times are using jJapan.s voltage. They will always show more time required.

Back