Is this EVSE compatible with my 2012 Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucsonjak

It doesn't appear to be a model sold by the company anymore.

vqXxyHk.jpg

JuiceBox Open Source Level 2 EV Charging Station

Power: 15kW
Current: 60A
Voltage 120-204V

I'm being offered a deal on it and I wanted to ask before I said yes to buying it. Apparently it was a Kit that JuiceBox assembled for the current owner of it?

Looks like a 14-50 plug on it and it's showing 60A on the lid. The onboard charger on your LEAF maxes out at 3.3 kW, so unless it's super cheap I would pass on it. For your car, an EVSE using 220V@16A is all you need, lots of other choices for around $200 US...

I thought a 14-50 plug is rated for 40 Amps continuous.
A LEAF is not going to get anywhere near those Amp ratings but I would hesitate buying an EVSE that has mismatched components on principal.

alozzy said:
Looks like a 14-50 plug on it and it's showing 60A on the lid. The onboard charger on your LEAF maxes out at 3.3 kW, so unless it's super cheap I would pass on it. For your car, an EVSE using 220V@16A is all you need, lots of other choices for around $200 US...

I'm was offered it for $200 which sounded like a OK deal? I just got my car so I don't plan on replacing it for at least the next 5 years.

SageBrush said:
I thought a 14-50 plug is rated for 40 Amps continuous

Good catch--hopefully the pilot signal is set to a maximum of 40 amperes. Perhaps the unit is capable of being set to 60 amperes when hard wired to an 80-ampere branch circuit. At any rate, the 2012 will draw a maximum of about 16 amperes at 240 volts or about 18 amperes at 208 volts so it should be OK for Tucsonjak. I would be concerned about the cables and connectors if charging a car that could draw more than 30 amperes, but it should be OK for any car with 6.6 kW or less onboard charger.

The earlier?? Juicebox units were notorious for over-hyping their current rating. My Juicebox Premium also lists 60a in big font yet has a 10 gauge J1772 cable(rated for 30a) as well as a 10 gauge 6' power cable(rated for 30a) terminating in a 14-50 plug(rated for 50a) :roll:
Of course with my Leaf it's fine as it maxes out at 27.5a but my Juicebox's digital display would let me set it to 60a :shock:
I know better than to set it higher than 30a but I'd guess that not everyone would, ahh the early days of EVs, kind of the wild west :lol:
To the OP, Juicebox has always made quality products, not always code Kosher but decently built. For $200 I'd rather have it than a cheap Chinese 16a portable unit. Unless it has WiFi to set charging current you'll have to take off the cover and adjust the trim pot with a small regular screwdriver.

jjeff said:
The earlier?? Juicebox units were notorious for over-hyping their current rating. My Juicebox Premium also lists 60a in big font yet has a 10 gauge J1772 cable(rated for 30a) as well as a 10 gauge 6' power cable(rated for 30a) terminating in a 14-50 plug(rated for 50a) :roll:
Of course with my Leaf it's fine as it maxes out at 27.5a but my Juicebox's digital display would let me set it to 60a :shock:
I know better than to set it higher than 30a but I'd guess that not everyone would, ahh the early days of EVs, kind of the wild west :lol:
To the OP, Juicebox has always made quality products, not always code Kosher but decently built. For $200 I'd rather have it than a cheap Chinese 16a portable unit, unless it has WiFi to set charging current you'll have to take off the cover and adjust the trim pot with a small regular screw driver.

Yikes! I don't know if I'm comfortable opening up the box to mess with it.

As long as you just charge your 2012 you will be fine because it will not overload the circuit. If you are concerned about it, I would be willing to set it for you some time when I am in Tucson (might be a while before I am down that way).

I have a JuiceBox and LOVE IT! :D I, too, bought mine used with plain metal cover like the one in your photo. Not sure if it is exactly the same, but sure looks similar. The new ones are the same, with a fancy decal on it to make it look more official.
I control it with my smartphone. For $200, it's a STEAL! To be 100% sure, email or call them and ask them if it will do the job.

Good luck!

Welp, The person who was selling it had someone come and give them cash for it last night so I missed out.

Thanks everyone for the information and advise, Especially GerryAZ for offering to stop in to adjust it for me.

That would have been a good EVSE for you. No matter what the current was set for as long as it was above 16A the car would only take what it needs or 16A.

A high power juiceBox would loaf on an original leaf and $200 was a great price Oh well, there is a ton of 16A EVSE's for less than $300. Amazon had the 16A Amazing EVSE for $217 recently.

SageBrush said:
A LEAF is not going to get anywhere near those Amp ratings but I would hesitate buying an EVSE that has mismatched components on principal.

Range cords typically come in 40A and 50A versions. They are usually 4 feet long but 6 feet is available. 40A cords have #8 L wires. 50A cords have #6 L wires.

Both are cheap on Amazon or eBay. I paid around $12 shipped on a 40A cable from eBay. They are commodities and cheap. Unless you really need 50A the cable is much stiffer than the 40A ones.

GlennD said:
SageBrush said:

Range cords typically come in 40A and 50A versions. They are usually 4 feet long but 6 feet is available. 40A cords have #8 L wires. 50A cords have #6 L wires.

Both are cheap on Amazon or eBay. I paid around $12 shipped on a 40A cable from eBay. They are commodities and cheap. Unless you really need 50A the cable is much stiffer than the 40A ones.

The 14-50 is rated at 50A. Since there is no 40A units it is allowed to be used at 40A but the connector is a 50A unit.

It is good practice to label it 40A.

GlennD said:
GlennD said:
SageBrush said:

The 14-50 is rated at 50A.
US code allows a continuous load to be 80% of rated.
Looked at in reverse, a 40 Amp continuous load REQUIRES a 50 Amp rated circuit.

Along the same lines, a 40Amp rated cord should not be used for more than 32Amp continuous.

davewill said:
tucsonjak said:
GlennD said:
Oh well, there is a ton of 16A EVSE's for less than $300. Amazon had the 16A Amazing EVSE for $217 recently.

Is 'Amazing' the brand?
It's actually the "AmazingE". Yes, that's the brand, but it seems to made by Clipper Creek.

Woah!

I ordered one, I can't wait to get it installed.

Man, charging fast at home is going to be AWESOME.

tucsonjak said:
davewill said:
tucsonjak said:
Is 'Amazing' the brand?
It's actually the "AmazingE". Yes, that's the brand, but it seems to made by Clipper Creek.

Woah!

I ordered one, I can't wait to get it installed.

Man, charging fast at home is going to be AWESOME.

Just make sure it is on at least a 20A circuit (80% of 16A requires a 20A circuit). If it has a 14-50 plug then it requires a 40A circuit.

I am retired but when I was working I used a 16A OpenEVSE on a 20A circuit.Ii was nice the city paid for electricity. Just make sure your wiring is heavy enough.

GlennD said:
Just make sure it is on at least a 20A circuit (80% of 16A requires a 20A circuit). If it has a 14-50 plug then it requires a 40A circuit.

I am retired but when I was working I used a 16A OpenEVSE on a 20A circuit.Ii was nice the city paid for electricity. Just make sure your wiring is heavy enough.

It would be perfectly reasonable to make a 14-50 to 20a or 30a plug adapter. Just label it for use only with your EVSE.

Back