Buying Used 2015 QC Option question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryHere

hello all

Gary here. Im getting a nice deal with a 2015 S Leaf Thursday and did some research but got conflicting reports so I figured I would ask here plus I needed/wanted to join anyways as well!

The Leaf will have the QC port option and but Im confused to this........

If it has this QC port does that mean the charger on the leaf is a 6.6kwh, NOT 3.3? From what I read, yes and then on Reddit someone mentioned they have a 2105 with the QC port but ONLY the 3.3 kwh charger onboard, hence my confusion.

I ask cause I will be using public charging as im in an Apt now until I rent a home in the summer.

Thanks for your help and nice to be here.

Gary

If the car has the upgraded charging package, which includes the DCQC port, then I believe it also has the upgraded 6.6 kW L2 charger. At least on the 2017 model S I know that is true, not 100% sure about 2015 but I've never heard differently.

It may be the case the Reddit poster is limited by the output of their EVSE or is using the L1 EVSE cable that came with the car for 'trickle charging'.

Thanks much for the speedy reply.

I think from my research the upgrade includes the rear backup cam and the QC port as well as the 6.6 charger.

It only shows it on the ad as having the QC port (very good pic of it) and rear backup cam but says nothing about if it has the 6.6kwh charger.

Unfortunately it's from Carvana, the online seller, which I like, but you have to go by pix and options they say it has.

I definitely know the QC Port is on it but the most important thing for me now, as I said being in an apartment, would be having that faster 6.6kwh charger cause I have to publicly charge at this time and it's way shorter on L2 with the 6.6

Thank you for your reply and time.

Have a nice Eve, Gary

My 2015 S with QC port has the 6.6 charger, too. I just looked at the original window sticker and the Charge Package option for $1,770 includes BOTH the Quick Charge port and the 6.6 kW Onboard Charger. The rearview camera was standard equipment.

mkwilkes said:
My 2015 S with QC port has the 3.3 and 6.6 chargers. I charge with level 2 (6.6) at home.

Ahh so some come with both and you manually have to switch it to the highest kw which is the 6kw?

This is similar to my Volt I had, I think it defaulted to a lower amp of current and you had to switch it manually.

Of course in that Volt example, I'm talking of changing the amp.

mkwilkes said:
No manual switching on my 2015 S model Leaf. Level 1 and 2 charging happens automatically out of the same port.

Ok thanks much for the reply .

It seems the DCQC always is paired with a 6.6kw charger and not solo.

Good info from you guys makesme excited for MNL delivery on Thursday :D

Just to make it clear: The Leaf S always has the 6.6kw charger when it has the Quick Charge option, and all Leaf SV and SL models made from 2013 on have the 6.6 charger standard. Finally, ALL 2011 and 2012 Leafs have a 3.3kw charger.

LeftieBiker said:
Just to make it clear: The Leaf S always has the 6.6kw charger when it has the Quick Charge option, and all Leaf SV and SL models made from 2013 on have the 6.6 charger standard. Finally, ALL 2011 and 2012 Leafs have a 3.3kw charger.

Perfect..

Thats all I need to know.

Wouldnt make sense if it had a QC option and NO 6.6kw as well.

Thanks !

Im counting the time till I get my Leaf :D

The earlier Leafs with QC had the 3.3 charger - the charger is bypassed anyway with QC - but they decided to make it a complete "Charge Package" and include the 6.6 onboard charger for the S.

LeftieBiker said:

The earlier Leafs with QC had the 3.3 charger - the charger is bypassed anyway with QC - but they decided to make it a complete "Charge Package" and include the 6.6 onboard charger for the S.

Think I am getting confused again........sorry.

So QC doesnt = 6.6 kw charger all the time then on early ones like 2011?

So on this 2015 Im getting, it COULD not have the 6.6kw charger but could have the QC Port (which I know it does)?

Sorry, im confused now.,,, :|

At least it has ALL 12 bars. :D

jVyA2WQ.jpg

2011 and 2012 Leafs have the slower charger, because the 6.6kw version was introduced in 2013. The S (also introduced in 2013) retained the 3.3 unless provided with the Charge Package. From 2013 on, as I wrote earlier, ALL SV and SL Leafs have the 6.6.

LeftieBiker said:
2011 and 2012 Leafs have the slower charger, because the 6.6kw version was introduced in 2013. The S (also introduced in 2013) retained the 3.3 unless provided with the Charge Package. From 2013 on, as I wrote earlier, ALL SV and SL Leafs have the 6.6.

Thank you. That clears it up for me.

/thread :D

GaryHere said:
mkwilkes said:
My 2015 S with QC port has the 3.3 and 6.6 chargers. I charge with level 2 (6.6) at home.

Ahh so some come with both and you manually have to switch it to the highest kw which is the 6kw?

This is similar to my Volt I had, I think it defaulted to a lower amp of current and you had to switch it manually.

The car goes strictly by current. It respects the J1772 protocol so the included L1 EVSE works but it will draw the full current at 120V if you let it. There is no switching involved.

GlennD said:
GaryHere said:
mkwilkes said:

The car goes strictly by current. It respects the J1772 protocol so the included L1 EVSE works but it will draw the full current at 120V if you let it. There is no switching involved.

Ok. Thanx much for the reply :D

So, I believe Gary is clear that his soon to be delivered '15 Leaf S has the 3.3kW, 6.6kW, and the QC port. As I referenced in an earlier post, I looked at the original window sticker on my '15 S and the Charge Package option included the 6.6 kW charger along with the QC port. I saw something on the window sticker that confused me. We always refer to the Level 1 charger as 3.3 kW, but on the window sticker it says that it is 3.6 kW. Can any of the experts explain the discrepancy? A link to a picture of my window sticker is attached.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jo5kqOZzB0iXAihj2

You are getting several things confused. The onboard charger is both L-1 and L-2 capable. The total power used by it (input power) is 3.6kw, and the power it delivers to the pack (output) is 3.3kw.

Back