goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Re: Arizona battery degradation/ heat precaution questions

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:50 pm

GaryHere wrote:Wouldn't the speed driven influence those results of the kWh used?

I mean if I drove at 75mph from 80 to 20% SOC wouldn't that yield different results than my driving this recent test at about 20-35 mph?

The battery measurement shows how much kWh capacity the battery has. Once the battery capacity is known, you can use that capacity in any way you want. Driving faster will use more power due to increased drag and result in less range. For max range, drive slower.

For this type of measurement, both the numerator and denominator would be changed by equal amounts so the battery capacity result should be unchanged.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:01 pm

GaryHere wrote:Do you think the lessened capacity is typical for the age of the battery? 3 years old?

I'd say pretty average.

Excuse my nature, but let me ask one last time:
Only one charge to bring the SoC up to ~ 80% at the start of the test, and no recharges since, right ?
And second, the miles/kWh meter was zeroed when SoC hit 80% -- again right ?
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:18 pm

goldbrick wrote:For this type of measurement, both the numerator and denominator would be changed by equal amounts so the battery capacity result should be unchanged.

ACCURACY POLICE HERE. TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF THE KEYBOARD.

Not equal amounts, equal proportions.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

GaryHere

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:21 pm

goldbrick wrote:
GaryHere wrote:Wouldn't the speed driven influence those results of the kWh used?

I mean if I drove at 75mph from 80 to 20% SOC wouldn't that yield different results than my driving this recent test at about 20-35 mph?

The battery measurement shows how much kWh capacity the battery has. Once the battery capacity is known, you can use that capacity in any way you want. Driving faster will use more power due to increased drag and result in less range. For max range, drive slower.

For this type of measurement, both the numerator and denominator would be changed by equal amounts so the battery capacity result should be unchanged.

Ok, I get it now, thanks for the reply :)

SageBrush wrote:
GaryHere wrote:Do you think the lessened capacity is typical for the age of the battery? 3 years old?

I'd say pretty average.

Excuse my nature, but let me ask one last time:
Only one charge to bring the SoC up to ~ 80% at the start of the test, and no recharges since, right ?
And second, the miles/kWh meter was zeroed when SoC hit 80% -- again right ?

Ahh ok so average, until our heat gets to it long term then the chit hits the fan LOL

Correct---- NO charges since that 80%

And correct as well on zeroing the miles/kWh meter when I was at 80%

I just got the first LBM, I have to admit that indicator that looks like a gas pump with a plug is pretty dam cool :)

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:26 pm

I would rather see you run a longer range/battery capacity test if you are concerned before deciding to give up the car. I notice that the SOC% and SOC bar drops are not always linear so a test from full charge to LBW (or even VLBW) would give more accurate results. Also, I find that the mi/kWh number on the dash is generally a little high compared to measuring charging energy from the wall with an accurate watt-hour meter and calculating the actual miles/kWh so you may have actually used more than 10 kWh from the battery during your test (which would imply that the battery has more capacity than Eric calculated).
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

GaryHere

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:30 pm

GerryAZ wrote:I would rather see you run a longer range/battery capacity test if you are concerned before deciding to give up the car. I notice that the SOC% and SOC bar drops are not always linear so a test from full charge to LBW (or even VLBW) would give more accurate results. Also, I find that the mi/kWh number on the dash is generally a little high compared to measuring charging energy from the wall with an accurate watt-hour meter and calculating the actual miles/kWh so you may have actually used more than 10 kWh from the battery during your test (which would imply that the battery has more capacity than Eric calculated).

Hi. Ok sounds good. I certainly have plenty of time as I asked about the paperwork today and Carvana said likely that title won't get to me till late July.

Then I suppose I'll decide then what to do with it.

Thanks for your reply, stay cool up there in Phx.

GaryHere

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:19 pm

I want to thank all the wonderful posters here whom in the last few weeks helped me tremendously especially SageBrush Eric whom I thanked thru the PMs.

On Saturday I'm trading in my Leaf and getting my Fiat back.

The lack of TMS was too much a concern for me and the Fiat has two systems, active and passive for cooling so it seemed like the right thing to do before I drop a bar and I really lose it. LOL.

Thanks to all and have a great summer and safe Leaf travels and adventures for you all. :D

Gary

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:56 am

I am also certainly glad that GaryHere is trading in his Leaf....

GaryHere

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:59 am

powersurge wrote:I am also certainly glad that GaryHere is trading in his Leaf....

Me too :D

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”