GaryHere

Re: Arizona battery degradation/ heat precaution questions

Mon May 28, 2018 5:38 pm

GerryAZ wrote:
GaryHere wrote:Reached 7 bars today on battery temp. but oddly not till hours after a one hr L2 charge to only 70%

I dare to try connecting to a CHAdeMO

:roll:

Does this mean that the lizard battery isnt so lizardy after all :evil:

7 bars is nothing--I had 9 bars Friday evening after a quick charge from 5% to 92% SOC in 32 minutes. I then drove at governed speed for a little ways at an undisclosed location. Traction motor draw was about 40 kW with high rolling resistance sport performance tires and no wind on a level surface at governed speed. The battery temperature was down to 8 bars by the time I returned home late in the evening; 7 bars the next morning after a full charge at L2 when I left for work at 4:45 AM; and 6 bars after being parked under covered parking all day.

I stopped obsessing over battery temperature a long time ago because I bought the first LEAF (and then the replacement) to drive for daily transportation around town. I record battery temperatures when I record charging data, but have never chosen to leave the car parked just because the battery was hot.

hi, oh ok so I have some lee way in the bars temp it seems.

Honestly I wished I didnt know anything about the battery and such so I can enjoy the car.

I never obsessed with all my EVs batteries in the past like I do with the Leaf; I guess theres obviously some concern with it and no TMS but I really wished I didnt know hehe

On another note, I went to charge for free this AM to 80% then drove home 5 miles on the streets. The SOC showed down to 72% with only a 5 mile drive at 30-40 mph and a hill. Isnt that a bit much of a drop? 8% to go 5 miles with downhill and in ECO and B Mode and hardly over 40 mph?

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Mon May 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Gary,

I would not worry about the drop from 80% to 72% SOC in a short distance. The SOC display on the dash is fairly accurate over the full range of usable charge from 0-100%, but there is fluctuation and it can be nonlinear over small changes in SOC.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon May 28, 2018 7:04 pm

GaryHere wrote:hi, oh ok so I have some lee way in the bars temp it seems.

Honestly I wished I didnt know anything about the battery and such so I can enjoy the car.

I never obsessed with all my EVs batteries in the past like I do with the Leaf; I guess theres obviously some concern with it and no TMS but I really wished I didnt know hehe

FWIW, I transitioned from 5 to 6 bars yesterday somewhere around the average temp sensor reading passing ~75 or 76 F. Don't know the exact transition temp.

Today, was a hot day (past 90 F) and unfortunately I had to park outside (garage door spring broken yesterday so I can't oen the door even manually until it's fixed, long story). Saw battery temp average reading past 83 F and was still at 6 temp bars.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GaryHere

Mon May 28, 2018 7:37 pm

GerryAZ wrote:Gary,

I would not worry about the drop from 80% to 72% SOC in a short distance. The SOC display on the dash is fairly accurate over the full range of usable charge from 0-100%, but there is fluctuation and it can be nonlinear over small changes in SOC.

ok thanks, good to know. If I get to go to the TEVA meeting here in Tucson, I am sure there will be some Leaf owners there to discuss with.

I saw a Leaf today at my gym and nearly ran after the car trying to talk to him LOL

cwerdna wrote:
GaryHere wrote:hi, oh ok so I have some lee way in the bars temp it seems.

FWIW, I transitioned from 5 to 6 bars yesterday somewhere around the average temp sensor reading passing ~75 or 76 F. Don't know the exact transition temp.

Today, was a hot day (past 90 F) and unfortunately I had to park outside (garage door spring broken yesterday so I can't oen the door even manually until it's fixed, long story). Saw battery temp average reading past 83 F and was still at 6 temp bars.

Ahhh 6 bars in the Bay area so I guess Im doing well here. I try to be good to the car and never park in direct sun if possible. I like to walk a bit anyways so if I see a tree, I park there.

At my apt. complex, about 3p there are spots free to park where the building casts a shadow on the car. Nice!

I only saw that one rise to 7 after a L2 charging which may or may not have been from that. Today I charged at another L2 with 6 bars intact and I even had the AC on the last 15 mins of charging.

A Volt was next to be and I could hear it swishing around cooling its battery like my Volt used to do at nite while charging.

Could have been so difficult for Nissan to put TMS in the cars back in 2011/2012 when all the trouble began? Maybe they would have saved cash by not having to replace all the batteries they did.

I know this is a dead topic but it still has me SMH everyday when I get in my Leaf.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon May 28, 2018 8:24 pm

GaryHere wrote:A Volt was next to be and I could hear it swishing around cooling its battery like my Volt used to do at nite while charging.

What happened to your Volt ? Seems like a better choice for hot climates.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

GaryHere

Mon May 28, 2018 8:31 pm

SageBrush wrote:
GaryHere wrote:A Volt was next to be and I could hear it swishing around cooling its battery like my Volt used to do at nite while charging.

What happened to your Volt ? Seems like a better choice for hot climates.

I sold it when I moved to an apartment cause I thought I wouldn't be charging much.

Briefly got a Sonic, which was my first ICE in a long time and I just couldn't do that car so that led to the Fiat 500e which no one could repair here in Tucson which led to the Leaf.

Oh u just asked about the Volt. Hehe. My bad. :D

I do love the Leaf alot however. It is built well and cool. I was thinking today how cool it was where Nissan placed the charge port. Very ingenious.

Evoforce
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:55 pm

I agree about the charge port location. I wish all cars had them in the front.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

SageBrush

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:19 am

GaryHere wrote:On another note, I went to charge for free this AM to 80% then drove home 5 miles on the streets.

Was this during your battery capacity test ?
-----

GaryHere

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:36 am

Evoforce wrote:I agree about the charge port location. I wish all cars had them in the front.

True.

The silliest location was on my Fiat 500e where it was in the rear passenger location area. A few times I had to maneuver the car into a space to get the J1772 to fit. :(

The iMiev is the same, well the L2 is on the passenger rear while the CHAdeMO is on the driver rear. (Or maybe that car is SAE combo but I know the QC is driver rear.)

SageBrush wrote:
GaryHere wrote:On another note, I went to charge for free this AM to 80% then drove home 5 miles on the streets.

Yes. Still on that test, have another 19% to at 20%.

Another question: wouldn't faster speeds vs lower, street speeds affect the kWh/miles results?

Im thinking it would be quite lower at 55mph than 25mph on streets?

Or is speed irrelevant?
Last edited by GaryHere on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

SageBrush

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:38 am

GaryHere wrote:
Evoforce wrote:I agree about the charge port location. I wish all cars had them in the front.

True.

The silliest location was on my Fiat 500e where it was in the rear passenger location area. A few times I had to maneuver the car into a space to get the J1772 to fit. :(

SageBrush wrote:

Yes. Still on that test, have another 19% to at 20%.

Another question: wouldn't faster speeds vs lower, street speeds affect the kWh/miles results?

Im thinking it would be quite lower at 55mph than 25mph on streets?

Or is speed irrelevant?

Speed will decrease your miles/kWh.

Keep this relation in mind:
rate * distance = amount
rate: miles/kWh
distance: miles
amount: kWh

If you charge in the middle of a test, you have to include it in your calculation.
-----

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”