GaryHere

Re: This is normal?

Wed May 30, 2018 3:50 pm

More frustrating results just now.

Went ONLY 10.5 miles driving some at 60mph and rest streets. Ac on freeway then off on streets.

21% drop in SOC for only 10.5 miles? I cant imagine what it would be when I start to lose bars :(

SageBrush, I began the test and reset when I hit 80% SOC.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Wed May 30, 2018 3:55 pm

OK.
Post your miles/kWh and trip miles when you get down to ~ 20% SoC
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Wed May 30, 2018 4:11 pm

I'm not sure if this helps, but TaylorSFGuy reported waaaaay back in 2011, that, when driving, the 10th bar seems to drop more quickly than the bars on either side. IIRC, this was a leading indicator of a permanent bar loss.
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 45.80 AHr; 45,000 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

GaryHere

Wed May 30, 2018 4:21 pm

SageBrush wrote:OK.
Post your miles/kWh and trip miles when you get down to ~ 20% SoC

Ok. Will do. Thanks again.

Reddy wrote:I'm not sure if this helps, but TaylorSFGuy reported waaaaay back in 2011, that, when driving, the 10th bar seems to drop more quickly than the bars on either side. IIRC, this was a leading indicator of a permanent bar loss.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is going to happen with this car.

At this point I'm kinda turned off by the car :(

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed May 30, 2018 8:16 pm

GaryHere wrote:More frustrating results just now.

Went ONLY 10.5 miles driving some at 60mph and rest streets. Ac on freeway then off on streets.

21% drop in SOC for only 10.5 miles? I cant imagine what it would be when I start to lose bars :(

SageBrush, I began the test and reset when I hit 80% SOC.

I don't usually quote posts with images, but this is an exception. When the GOM is showing 91 miles with 83% charge, it is wrong, unless you are driving at 30MPH. The 62 miles at 62% SOC is pretty close to what a very good pack would show, OTOH. I think that when you drive home to park your car you are driving slowly and gently. This inflates the GOM estimate when you start it up again, and it corrects itself over the next 10 miles or so. What really matters here is the actual range available, not the GOM readings. Only a range test will give the that, and I think that when you do one you will be pleasantly surprised. I have found that with gentle but not slow driving my 24kwh Leaf would gradually converge its real world range with the GOM estimate over the course of most trips, with the two converging at roughly 40 miles left.
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Wed May 30, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

SageBrush

Wed May 30, 2018 8:47 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:When the GOM is showing 91 miles with 83% charge, it is wrong, unless you are driving at 30MPH. The 62 miles at 62% SOC is pretty close to what a very good pack would show, OTOH. I think that when you drive home to park your car you are driving slowly and gently. This inflates the GOM estimate when you start it up again, and it corrects itself over the next 10 miles or so. What really matters here is the actual range available, not the GOM readings. Only a range test will give the that, and think that when you do one you will be pleasantly surprised.

Quite likely. Excellent reply.
This is why I told him that little snippets would drive him crazy.

1. Decent range test
2. Draw conclusions

The rest is noise
-----

GaryHere

Wed May 30, 2018 9:49 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
I don't usually quote posts with images, but this is an exception. When the GOM is showing 91 miles with 83% charge, it is wrong, unless you are driving at 30MPH. The 62 miles at 62% SOC is pretty close to what a very good pack would show, OTOH. I think that when you drive home to park your car you are driving slowly and gently. This inflates the GOM estimate when you start it up again, and it corrects itself over the next 10 miles or so. What really matters here is the actual range available, not the GOM readings. Only a range test will give the that, and I think that when you do one you will be pleasantly surprised. I have found that with gentle but not slow driving my 24kwh Leaf would gradually converge its real world range with the GOM estimate over the course of most trips, with the two converging at roughly 40 miles left.

Well I am glad you did :)

I dont pay much mine to that GOM at all; it was basically the same in my Volt, was just an estimate of the last previous driving habits but it was that drop of 21% that really threw me for only that short of miles driven

This is all new to me, Im only 11 days into owning a Leaf so I guess some patience is needed here on my part :D

SageBrush wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:When the GOM is showing 91 miles with 83% charge, it is wrong, unless you are driving at 30MPH. The 62 miles at 62% SOC is pretty close to what a very good pack would show, OTOH. I think that when you drive home to park your car you are driving slowly and gently. This inflates the GOM estimate when you start it up again, and it corrects itself over the next 10 miles or so. What really matters here is the actual range available, not the GOM readings. Only a range test will give the that, and think that when you do one you will be pleasantly surprised.

Quite likely. Excellent reply.
This is why I told him that little snippets would drive him crazy.

1. Decent range test
2. Draw conclusions

The rest is noise

I like that: Noise hehe

Good points

I will just sit it out till we get to the 20% SOC and see

But I might call on you for the math help, I am still not clear 100% with all the x and such

Sorry it must be the heat heat making me not too bright in my math, though I never was ! :)

SageBrush

Wed May 30, 2018 9:59 pm

GaryHere wrote:
But I might call on you for the math help, I am still not clear 100% with all the x and such

No worries. Lots of people here happy to help.

I should clarify, I mean statistical noise. No insult intended
-----

GaryHere

Wed May 30, 2018 10:36 pm

SageBrush wrote:
GaryHere wrote:

No worries. Lots of people here happy to help.

I should clarify, I mean statistical noise. No insult intended

Yes I find this has been an awesome place to get help!

I am very very grateful for it and appreciative for all the help.

I knew what you meant by noise but I do complain a lot for sure ! LOL

Probably why I am single hehe

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Thu May 31, 2018 5:34 am

Remember that you bought this car used.... So you cannot necessarily expect to get one mile of driving / per 1% of charge.. That is pretty much for a newish car.

If you were driving 60MPH AND using the A/C, It is possible that you could have used 20% charge to go 10 miles.

You really need to charge the car to 100% until the three blue dash lights GO OFF. Then reset the miles/ KW, and the odometer. Then drive a good 40-50 miles on the highway at or under 55 MPH. (I personally like to drive at 53 MPH to get the best economy) . No A/C, no Heat....

At the end of the 50 miles, see what the battery charge % is... It should be 45-50%.... That is the scientific way to do this... This topic has had too many posts back and forth that are not helping you assess and get used to you new car's individual capacities.... Not knowing the battery capacity with Leafspy, this is the only true way to see......

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”