This is normal?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryHere

Thanks to a few on here who wrote me on the SOC and distance traveled but now that I look at this more, this is normal?

To go only 8 miles, slow AF, in ECO and B mode and this drop of SOC? and GOM shows 11 miles.?

Im confused at this. If it drops this much in 8 mi slow driving, I am shuttering to think on the freeway for a trip?

13% drop in SOC for only 8.3 miles?

First pic after I charged at a free CP L2 to 80% then I drove home 8 miles and took the second pic.

QorXxl7.jpg

0vuUkLi.jpg

My 9 month old 30kWh pack gets about 1 mile per % on the SOC gauge. It can drop 1% just driving 100 yards after charging but after that it is fairly consistent. However....I do sometimes get almost 2x the % change on the SOC on my commute to/from work even though there is only about 300' net elevation gain/loss over 9 miles. I'd say it's too early to tell. Keep checking how many miles you get vs SOC change every time you charge to see how it stacks up. It should average out at some point and then you will have a better idea about your real range vs the SOC meter.

Is this a 2015 you've had all along or is this a used car? I suspect the later, and you might not really have 12 bars.

A few things:

You might want to keep the dash on the efficiency screen (showing average mi/kWh) and reset it each time you charge the car. Maybe you are driving lead-footed and only getting 3.0 mi/kWh, which would help explain such range changes.

You should learn to ignore the GOM (guess-o-meter) and what it shows for range. It is not a true measure of the remaining range or batter capacity. In fact, you might be better off to cover it up and never look at it again!

You really want to get Leaf Spy Pro and an OBD-II adapter. Set LSP your current efficiency and it will show you the real amount of kWh in your battery and what your real remaining range might be.

A/C use at low speeds ?

It is a really, really good idea to get in the habit of parking facing South if the car is not in the shade, putting up a sunscreen, and opening windows enough for ventilation. If you do not the AC will run at ~ 5-6 kW until the retained heat is removed and your range will suffer dearly.

goldbrick said:
My 9 month old 30kWh pack gets about 1 mile per % on the SOC gauge. It can drop 1% just driving 100 yards after charging but after that it is fairly consistent. However....I do sometimes get almost 2x the % change on the SOC on my commute to/from work even though there is only about 300' net elevation gain/loss over 9 miles. I'd say it's too early to tell. Keep checking how many miles you get vs SOC change every time you charge to see how it stacks up. It should average out at some point and then you will have a better idea about your real range vs the SOC meter.

Ok will do. I have a feeling something is wrong and maybe the battery was reset. Things drop so fast with my same trip. My Fiat500e a few weeks ago with the same trip hardly budged at all with its SOC. I think the same battery kwh in both cars.

Will watch it. Thanks much.

jlv said:
Is this a 2015 you've had all along or is this a used car? I suspect the later, and you might not really have 12 bars.

A few things:

You might want to keep the dash on the efficiency screen (showing average mi/kWh) and reset it each time you charge the car. Maybe you are driving lead-footed and only getting 3.0 mi/kWh, which would help explain such range changes.

You should learn to ignore the GOM (guess-o-meter) and what it shows for range. It is not a true measure of the remaining range or batter capacity. In fact, you might be better off to cover it up and never look at it again!

You really want to get Leaf Spy Pro and an OBD-II adapter. Set LSP your current efficiency and it will show you the real amount of kWh in your battery and what your real remaining range might be.

Yes its used. From Carvana. Maybe was reset? Who knows. Working on that Leaf Spy when I get some more cash in next month.

hehe I like the idea of covering up the GOM!

I dont drive lead footed ever, I have had Prii and such and I am definitely broken in as a hybrid/EV/Old person driver lol.

I looked at that Kwh today and I reset it when I charged to 80% and it reads 5.4 today.

Thanks for the reply!

SageBrush said:
A/C use at low speeds ?

It is a really, really good idea to get in the habit of parking facing South if the car is not in the shade, putting up a sunscreen, and opening windows enough for ventilation. If you do not the AC will run at ~ 5-6 kW until the retained heat is removed and your range will suffer dearly.

No AC was on at all. I dont use it here if I go a few miles. Its a waste cause it doesnt get cool until a while so I just open all the windows even though this week we are heading into 108 this week.....Yikes.

I do park as I have in the past, facing south and always under a tree etc. Just now I parked in the shade of my apt. complex.

I will see what is going on but I find it very odd it drops that much really.

Thanks for all the replies guys! :)

You don't need LeafSpy to exclude a reset (and in fact LeafSpy can be fooled by a reset)

a. Charge up to 80% SoC
b. Reset trip meter. This will also reset the kWh/mile meter
c. Go for a drive down to ~ 20% SoC
c2. x= a - c
d. Note the consumption rate (miles/kWh meter for the trip)
e. Note the miles driven this trip

Y = e/d
This is the kWh used during this test. It also is kWh used by x% of the battery
Full charge capacity in kWh = Y/x
12 bars should have at least 22*0.85 = 18.7 kWh battery capacity.

This is not a perfectly accurate test, but full battery capacity much below 18.7 would be suspect.

Unless my math is off, your results aren't that unusual.

After charging, GOM guessed 80 mile range. After driving 8.3 miles, in theory, you used 10.4% of that 80 mile range. The battery gauge suggests you used 13%. That is not that much of a deviation between these two rough estimate numbers. The drop in GOM range would suggest you used 13.75% of the range.

As noted above, you might want to turn around and drive the route in reverse and see what it gives you. Back when I drove the Leaf as my commuter, my battery level and GOM reported much less drop in the commute to work than in the commute back home along the same route.

I agree with most of the above. Don't assume yet that it's a BMS reset - get your M/KWH reading first. If this shows 12 bars, it may be near losing one, in which case those numbers do seem ballpark. I've always had a big drop in the GOM estimate after leaving home, because I drive up and park slowly, but often leave in a hurry, with a heavy right foot...

LeftieBiker said:
I agree with most of the above. Don't assume yet that it's a BMS reset - get your M/KWH reading first. If this shows 12 bars, it may be near losing one, in which case those numbers do seem ballpark. I've always had a big drop in the GOM estimate after leaving home, because I drive up and park slowly, but often leave in a hurry, with a heavy right foot...

I'll do the the m/kwh first and see but...as I just walked to get my mail I'm beginning to think, unfortunately, that I made a big mistake trading in my Fiat 500e in for the Leaf. I think I made a costly mistake by getting this car here in Tucson with up to 108 degrees looming this week.

It's a shame cause I really like the car alot :(

LeftieBiker said:

Ok will do, thanks.

You mean this Energy Economy display?

I think it resets when I reset the trip "B" right?

So this is the current m/kwh but honestly I have no clue whats good (except for higher numbers obviously hehe) numbers.

GaMHKLx.jpg

Yes. 5.5M/KWH is great! Was that for just a short trip? With odometer mileage that low, economy that high, and a range estimate that is often low, I'm puzzled too, at this point, as a BMS reset seems less likely with less than 20k miles, unless the car resided someplace very hot. Still, 65 miles estimated range with 8 charge bars doesn't seem that low, although I'm used to thinking in terms of % SOC, not bars.

You need to reset the mi/kWh display by pushing the button to the left of the steering wheel that has a period on it. As someone who has driven a 2015 for over 3 years, I see no evidence of a BMS reset and, as I said before, it is not unusual to see variation in the SOC drop vs. distance. If you are concerned about range, charge it fully instead of trying to stop at 80%.

LeftieBiker said:
Yes. 5.5M/KWH is great! Was that for just a short trip? With odometer mileage that low, economy that high, and a range estimate that is often low, I'm puzzled too, at this point, as a BMS reset seems less likely with less than 20k miles, unless the car resided someplace very hot. Still, 65 miles estimated range with 8 charge bars doesn't seem that low, although I'm used to thinking in terms of % SOC, not bars.

Good to hear all that. Sounds reassuring.

The 5.5 there was reset when I finished charging Sunday to 80% and so drove 12 miles or so since then. I won't reset it and take a small freeway drive tomorrow to get some different non street readings with some higher speed on the m/kwh.

Btw Carfax showed it's entire life prior was in the east Bay area of SF.

I'll post more results tomorrow and thank you and all for your input and help here.

:D

GaryHere said:
Willing to name the cities, including where it said it was serviced and registered?

There can be HUGE variation in daytime temps during summer and hotter months in the Bay Area. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=464260#p464260.

GaryHere said:
The 5.5 there was reset when I finished charging Sunday to 80% and so drove 12 miles or so since then. I won't reset it and take a small freeway drive tomorrow to get some different non street readings with some higher speed on the m/kwh.
That will just confuse you.

Read my earlier post
You do not have to follow the reasoning to follow the instructions although it certainly helps

cwerdna said:
GaryHere said:
Willing to name the cities, including where it said it was serviced and registered?

There can be HUGE variation in daytime temps during summer and hotter months in the Bay Area. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=464260#p464260.

Lol, yep. That's why SF weather reports take up so much time on the local news shows because they're compelled to read off the current and forecast temps in 20 different locales. SF-ers also know their fog and they demand specificity. Witness "moderate to heavy night and morning upper-valley ground fog". :lol:

cwerdna said:
GaryHere said:

Not much info on the Carfax but heres what I can provide:

Hayward CA- For sale Hayward Nissan

Millbrea CA- DMV Title issued

Hayward CA- Hayward Nissan dealer serviced it

SageBrush said:
GaryHere said:
That will just confuse you.

Read my earlier post
You do not have to follow the reasoning to follow the instructions although it certainly helps

Ok, re-read it.

I guess my head spins when I see math, lol, but re-reading it, now I get it :D

GaryHere said:
Ok, re-read it.
Excellent !

Off you go then. Realize that you do not have to perform the test in one trip. The start and end numbers are used.

SageBrush said:
GaryHere said:
Ok, re-read it.
Excellent !

Off you go then. Realize that you do not have to perform the test in one trip. The start and end numbers are used.

Yes and thanks for all your help and yes literally, off I go.

I was just leaving to go to the Kohls where there is FREE charging :D

Getting tired of paying Blink high prices of 2.40/hr --- ouch but on a good note, Im getting closer to renting a home where I can park and charge like a normal EV owner would hehe.

Too bad I sold my L2 charger but there are more to buy :D

Back