Just bought a 2011 Leaf and loving it!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deolloz

This is my first EV and probably not my last, a used 2011 Leaf SL w/ only 44,000 miles and in general fantastic condition. 9 bars of capacity on the battery, still, and a squeaky clean carfax report.

A few questions if I may:

About Range/Capacity:
W/ 9 bars of capacity left, I believe I'm able to go only about ~50 miles of range on a full charge, is that correct? I know of course lots of variables must be accounted for. But on my first two full days of using it, after about 50 miles, i was running on the "---" and VLB warnings to get home.

I recently bought the OBD took that was recommended on various websites and will be hooking it up to my car and using the "leafspy" app to get an accurate gauge on my EV's SoH. Any advise or tutorials on that would be greatly appreciated.

About the Touch-Screen Navigation:
Is it possible to actually use the built in touch-screen navigation system with TRAFFIC reports and current charging stations listed? And, how do I update the MAPS? (or would I be better off using my phone? I know that the original built in 2G NETWORK has been disabled on my car by the dealer at some point in time, so that's good that it's not still searching for that network and wasting battery) But I'm not sure how updated and accurate the navigation is at this point in time.

About charing:
One of the chargepoint locations near my house is FREE!!! HOORAY! but I noticed that location is not on the "PlugShare" app, although it does show up on the ChargePoint app which is how I found it!? Why doesn't it show up on the "PlugShare" app too?

Thanks all and I'm very excited to get to learn more and more about this vehicle. From my understanding, my vehicle may have sat unused and/or in storage for the last 3 years prior to my purchase from a used car dealership, according to the carfax report. Not sure if/how that may have affected it's batteries capacity, but the overall condition is superb.

About Range/Capacity:
W/ 9 bars of capacity left, I believe I'm able to go only about ~50 miles of range on a full charge, is that correct? I know of course lots of variables must be accounted for. But on my first two full days of using it, after about 50 miles, i was running on the "---" and VLB warnings to get home.

I'll take this one. Your actual range will depend both on the factors of which you are aware, and on whether it's a "solid" nine bars or if it's about to drop to 8 bars. You may want to call it a 40 mile range, with a 10 mile emergency reserve.

LeftieBiker said:
About Range/Capacity:

I'll take this one. Your actual range will depend both on the factors of which you are aware, and on whether it's a "solid" nine bars or if it's about to drop to 8 bars. You may want to call it a 40 mile range, with a 10 mile emergency reserve.

Thank You LeftieBiker, Yes I do believe a ~45 mile range would be about average for me at this point in time. I think hooking up the OBD tool and using the leafspy app within the next few days should give me a better idea of the SoH in total. I was really hoping for a 50 mile range because that would keep me nice and safe each day. We shall see, and I will be on the hunt for general battery maintenance tips from here on out. Also looking at replacing the battery, at some point down the road, if this one can service me for at least a 2-3 years.

If the tires are inflated to the suggested 36psi, raise them to 40-42. That will give you another mile or so of free range, as well as better tire life. I'm not sure where you are, but in most locales you'd also benefit from adding a heater Off/On switch to the climate control, as your car runs the energy-wasting water heater whenever the climate control is on and the temperate outside isn't hot. This will add another few miles when the heater isn't needed.

LeftieBiker said:
About Range/Capacity:

Welcome and congratulations! This is roughly correct, but watch out for winter where the range can be anywhere from 20-50 mi depending on temps, speeds, snow, wind, rain, etc. I've been driving mine nearly 7 yrs and have the same mileage & bars, so you've got an "average" 2011 Leaf. BTW, go to your profile and input your approx. location so we can continue to give you better advice.

Deolloz said:
Is it possible to actually use the built in touch-screen navigation system with TRAFFIC reports and current charging stations listed? And, how do I update the MAPS? (or would I be better off using my phone? I know that the original built in 2G NETWORK has been disabled on my car by the dealer at some point in time, so that's good that it's not still searching for that network and wasting battery) But I'm not sure how updated and accurate the navigation is at this point in time.
Just use your phone. Nissan charges too much for an "upgrade" to 3G (IIRC), which is still pretty outdated.
Deolloz said:
One of the chargepoint locations near my house is FREE!!! HOORAY! but I noticed that location is not on the "PlugShare" app, although it does show up on the ChargePoint app which is how I found it!? Why doesn't it show up on the "PlugShare" app too?
Be a good EV citizen and add it to Plugshare yourself. :cool: -OR- Don't add it and keep it for yourself :twisted:
Deolloz said:
Thanks all and I'm very excited to get to learn more and more about this vehicle. From my understanding, my vehicle may have sat unused and/or in storage for the last 3 years prior to my purchase from a used car dealership, according to the carfax report. Not sure if/how that may have affected it's batteries capacity, but the overall condition is superb
At this point it really doesn't matter. Your car, like mine, has seen calendar degradation that is a function of time and temperature. If used quickly (2 yrs) at Seattle temps, the battery will go 100,000 mi before losing 3-bars. If used slowly (7 yrs), you might lose 3-bars in 40-50,000 mi. I have a friend in Seattle who bought the same time as me and has 2x the mileage with the "same" degradation. Just use it as much as you can. Charge when you need to and stop sending money to the oil barons, foreign or otherwise.

Deolloz said:
About charging:
One of the ChargePoint locations near my house is FREE!!! HOORAY! but I noticed that location is not on the "PlugShare" app, although it does show up on the ChargePoint app which is how I found it!? Why doesn't it show up on the "PlugShare" app too?
PlugShare's info is crowdsourced. You're one of the crowd; you can add the location yourself. I added one earlier this year when a Whole Foods installed two Voltas. I would only suggest that the description and photo, if any, be chosen to help someone who's never been there.

Reddy said:
Deolloz said:
Just use your phone. Nissan charges too much for an "upgrade" to 3G (IIRC), which is still pretty outdated.

That's not entirely true.
First of all, the 3G modem upgrade is $199, which restores your use of CarWings/EVConnect for life. That means status/charge updates, remote climate control, etc. The TRAFFIC reports (I think) require a Sirius/XM subscription, but they are useful. Don't bother updating the maps: I still have the original (2011) database and find the navigation as good or better than my wife's 2016 Ford.
Check my sig for the heater "mod": one of the most valuable mods ever developed for a 2011/12 Leaf!

I second what Stanton said and will add some additional information:
1. The map on my 2015 has very little updated information compared to my 2011, but is still quite useable so I recommend to save your money and stay with the original maps.
2. The 3G modem upgrade is useful for charging station updates on the map as well as remote climate control. Although the upgrade was free on my 2015, I would have paid for it if I still had the 2011.
3. The traffic information is a subscription through Sirrius/XM. I like it so I kept the subscription after the free trial ended on each car.
4. The heater cut off switch is a necessary modification because the heating elements in the little hot water tank are activated whenever the HVAC is on if ambient temperature is lower than 60 F or the set point, if higher (even just for ventilation). I actually ran the 2011 dead on my way home once when I had ventilation on (without heat) and the temperature was low enough to activate the 5 kW heating elements. I did not notice the extra power draw until it was too late and ran the car dead about 1/2 mile from home. I then made a temporary modification by putting a resistor in place of the liquid temperature sensor. I would have purchased the plug-and-play kit from Tor as a permanent fix if the car had not been totaled.

LeftieBiker said:
If the tires are inflated to the suggested 36psi, raise them to 40-42. That will give you another mile or so of free range, as well as better tire life. I'm not sure where you are, but in most locales you'd also benefit from adding a heater Off/On switch to the climate control, as your car runs the energy-wasting water heater whenever the climate control is on and the temperate outside isn't hot. This will add another few miles when the heater isn't needed.

Leftie Biker, so it's safe to inflate the tires up to 40-42? I believe my tires on the car are "run flats," I was told there "wasn't spare tire" in the vehicle. Is that true?

I don't know where/how to install a heater on/off switch? Is that a modification that has to get added to the car by a mechanic or the dealer?

Thank YOu.

Reddy said:
LeftieBiker said:
About Range/Capacity:

Welcome and congratulations! This is roughly correct, but watch out for winter where the range can be anywhere from 20-50 mi depending on temps, speeds, snow, wind, rain, etc. I've been driving mine nearly 7 yrs and have the same mileage & bars, so you've got an "average" 2011 Leaf. BTW, go to your profile and input your approx. location so we can continue to give you better advice.

Thank You Reddy, yes needless to say I'm STOKED with this vehicle and it's possibilities. I have gone to my profile and updated my location and some basic info about me. I live in Central Texas, which basically has 2 seasons: 9 months of summer and 3 months of everything else. Lucky, my typically commutes are relatively flat. Thank you for the perspective about my vehicles age/range/mileage. I guess it is an "average" Leaf but none of these are average!!! ;]

Deolloz said:
I live in Central Texas, which basically has 2 seasons: 9 months of summer and 3 months of everything else.
I lived near Denton for a few years and I used to say we had 4 seasons: Dec, Jan, Feb, and summer.;)

GerryAZ said:
I second what Stanton said and will add some additional information:
1. The map on my 2015 has very little updated information compared to my 2011, but is still quite useable so I recommend to save your money and stay with the original maps.
2. The 3G modem upgrade is useful for charging station updates on the map as well as remote climate control. Although the upgrade was free on my 2015, I would have paid for it if I still had the 2011.
3. The traffic information is a subscription through Sirrius/XM. I like it so I kept the subscription after the free trial ended on each car.
4. The heater cut off switch is a necessary modification because the heating elements in the little hot water tank are activated whenever the HVAC is on if ambient temperature is lower than 60 F or the set point, if higher (even just for ventilation). I actually ran the 2011 dead on my way home once when I had ventilation on (without heat) and the temperature was low enough to activate the 5 kW heating elements. I did not notice the extra power draw until it was too late and ran the car dead about 1/2 mile from home. I then made a temporary modification by putting a resistor in place of the liquid temperature sensor. I would have purchased the plug-and-play kit from Tor as a permanent fix if the car had not been totaled.

Thank You for this information GerryAZ! It is all very helpful. I would like to know, do I have to have the 3g modem upgrade in order to get the Sirius traffic subscription, or can I have that without having 3g? Thanks for the tip(s) about the maps -- at this point in time, I'll probably stick with using my cell phone for most navigational purposes. What effect, if any, does charging a cell phone have on range? With a limited range in the ~40 mile area, I'm hesitant to do even little things like charge my cell phone while driving!

Deolloz said:
Leftie Biker, so it's safe to inflate the tires up to 40-42? I believe my tires on the car are "run flats," I was told there "wasn't spare tire" in the vehicle. Is that true?

I don't know where/how to install a heater on/off switch? Is that a modification that has to get added to the car by a mechanic or the dealer?

Thank YOu.
They aren't run flats unless someone has changed them to be so, which is highly unlikely as most run flats are low profile and would have needed new rims. They also would have badly affected range of the car. You don't have a spare because Nissan decided that it wasn't necessary. Some people have found compatible temporary spares at junk yards to carry around, but I always figured that having AAA was good enough. If I lived in a rural area, I might feel differently.

The maximum inflation pressure for the tire should be stamped on the sidewall of the tire.

Deolloz said:
LeftieBiker said:
If the tires are inflated to the suggested 36psi, raise them to 40-42. That will give you another mile or so of free range, as well as better tire life.

Leftie Biker, so it's safe to inflate the tires up to 40-42?

As long as you don't exceed the "Max Pressure" figure molded into the tire's sidewall, you're good. The 40-42 quoted by LeftieBiker is well within that (I know the "Ecopia Plus" max pressure is 51 psi, don't remember the figure for the Nissan OEM Ecopias). Some folks here have said they run it even higher than that figure, but I do not recommend that.

Many/most of us here believe that Nissan's recommended 36 psi is too low, and I am one of them. Sticking with Nissan's recommended pressure seems to cause the tread edges to wear out faster than the middle, a classic sign of underinflation. I have a 2015 VW eGolf that weighs about the same, and uses the same 2015/55/16 tire size that your Leaf uses, and VW recommends the "Ecopia Plus" tires that came with the car to be inflated to 41 psi. The tires wore evenly for the nearly 21k miles I've had this car, so VW's recommendation seems to be correct.

The downside of greater-than-recommended tire inflation is a harsher ride, and if you do overinflate too much, you will get accelerated wear down the middle of the tread.

Note these figures are for the Bridgestone Ecopia (the OEM fitment) or the Ecopia "Plus" which is what seems to be available as a retail replacement today. If your car was fitted with something else, you will need to play with the pressures until you get an acceptable balance of ride and even wear.

I THINK that the max pressure for the OEM down-rated Ecopias (aka "Ecrapias") is 44 or 46psi. 40-42 provides better range, better steering, and a not very harsh ride.

Back