GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Re: Just bought a 2011 Leaf and loving it!

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Deolloz wrote:
GerryAZ wrote:
bitmanEV wrote:during the summer is have the switch on OFF to be sure that's OFF 8-)

To keep the heater from running, you want the lowest resistance resistor switched in parallel with the temperature sensor so that would either be position 1 or 2 (not off). The OFF position is for normal heater operation.

Gerry,

Assuming I get the heater control switch kit installed soon ( it already arrived in the mail):

Before installing, do I need to pre-set the HVAC to a specific setting?

After the install, considering its hot here in Austin right now (~100), I will keep the AC on 60 degrees and lowest fan setting once cooled, then what setting do I put the switch at, 0, 1, or 2? Will that change in the winter months?

Thanks.

You want to use Position 1 (330 ohm resistor) to keep heating elements from being energized inadvertently while using A/C. Position 2 (2.2 kohm resistor) would allow the heating elements to be energized, but keep the fluid temperature lower than normal. The OFF position allows the heating elements to heat the fluid normally and will reduce range under certain ambient temperature conditions. Therefore, I recommend Position 1 to avoid inadvertent heating element use unless you need heat. Choose Position 2 or OFF depending upon cabin heat/defrost needs. Use OFF to get maximum heating.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

bitmanEV
Delivery Date: 30 Aug 2016

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:50 pm

i give up

will try again; in OFF there IS NO HEATING OR POWER CONSUMPTION with my Leaf
Next EV - Byton M-Byte reserved
Nissan Leaf MK1 - Japan build
Renault Zoe R240 - ditched after 8k Miles due crap quality / DS65 WBL
Toyota Rav4 (ICE) SWMBO (rock solid)
Subaru Forester - PX for EV (ODO 200.000+ Miles)
Driving BEV since Dec 2015

Deolloz
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:00 pm

GerryAZ wrote:You want to use Position 1 (330 ohm resistor) to keep heating elements from being energized inadvertently while using A/C. Position 2 (2.2 kohm resistor) would allow the heating elements to be energized, but keep the fluid temperature lower than normal. The OFF position allows the heating elements to heat the fluid normally and will reduce range under certain ambient temperature conditions. Therefore, I recommend Position 1 to avoid inadvertent heating element use unless you need heat. Choose Position 2 or OFF depending upon cabin heat/defrost needs. Use OFF to get maximum heating.

Gerry,

Since it's around 100 degrees right now in Austin regularly, I will want to have this set at position 1 for all summer, correct? I am -only- running AC in the car at this time.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Yes, to eliminate the risk of inadvertent heating element operation you should use Position 1 (330 ohm resistor) unless you need heat. It is less likely that the heating elements will be energized during A/C use in our high ambient temperatures than at more moderate temperatures, but why not use Position 1 so there is no chance? I temporarily connected a 330 ohm resistor in place of the sensor and was planning to build a permanent circuit with switches and relays, but the car met its demise before I made permanent modifications. I like the design of the plug-and-play kit and would have purchased one if my car had not been totaled.

I recommend that you do not use the OFF Position (enables full heat) unless you need heat and/or defrost and you are able to accept the associated power consumption and range reduction. Position 2 is a good alternative to have some heat with a less severe range impact.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”