Trying to decide on 2014 SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTrueman

Hi Folks!

I’ve learned a lot from reading these threads and appreciate the help. I’m thinking about a 2014 SV with 10,124 miles and the premium package. I’ll be certified by the local dealer. I’m near Philadelphia, but the car came up as a government lease in Davie, FL. AHr is 56.74, SOH is 86.76% and Hx is 82.93%. The dealer wants $12,500. The car is clean and drives well, but I’m unsure of the battery specs and price. I have a 25 mile RT commute and currently drive a 2015 Ford F-250 we use to pull our travel trailer. I love my pickup, but it gets 11 mpg and is a pain to park in a normal lot.

What do you all think about the price?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxamu9uf0xd1xcx/IMG_0404.JPG?dl=0

Thanks!

Rob

Thanks for the reply, LeftieBiker! That was my thought too. I'm surprised that the battery capacity was that low with so few miles. I assume it's because of the hot weather.

$13K is a lot of money for a 2014 with those numbers... You have to add to your calculations that in 4-5 years, you will have to change the battery ($6000).

I am starting to consider the purchase of a Leaf car similar to buying underwear.... You buy NEW. Used (at $12k+) will have given the original user the "best" years, and you get the worst years of its life.

RTrueman said:
Thanks for the reply, LeftieBiker! That was my thought too. I'm surprised that the battery capacity was that low with so few miles. I assume it's because of the hot weather.

Yes, Florida is almost as hard on leaf batteries as Arizona.

I got a 14 SL Premium Package, 11500 miles for $13000; SOH=92%, 12 bars.
Your cells, all of them, have been heat hammered. I think they'll be a bit worse for the wear going forward.
Negotiate.

powersurge said:
$13K is a lot of money for a 2014 with those numbers... You have to add to your calculations that in 4-5 years, you will have to change the battery ($6000).
The claim at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25882 is that a new battery is now $7K + labor and tax. That poster claims the total ends up being ~$8500. Hope it's only a fluke and not the actual price for a 24 kWh battery from Nissan going forward.

But yeah, before it was about $6K total: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17168&p=374490.

RTrueman said:
Hi Folks!

I’ve learned a lot from reading these threads and appreciate the help. I’m thinking about a 2014 SV with 10,124 miles and the premium package. I’ll be certified by the local dealer. I’m near Philadelphia, but the car came up as a government lease in Davie, FL. AHr is 56.74, SOH is 86.76% and Hx is 82.93%. The dealer wants $12,500. The car is clean and drives well, but I’m unsure of the battery specs and price. I have a 25 mile RT commute and currently drive a 2015 Ford F-250 we use to pull our travel trailer. I love my pickup, but it gets 11 mpg and is a pain to park in a normal lot.

What do you all think about the price?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxamu9uf0xd1xcx/IMG_0404.JPG?dl=0

Thanks!

Rob
Another example of Nissan moving vehicles north to reduce battery degradation. I wouldn't pay more than $10,000 for it. Used prices have risen recently, but that's crazy. I think others have reported paying $8-9K for four year old Leafs in the past. On the plus side, with a 25 mi RT commute you should be good for many years. Anyway, just do it and save yourself some serious money on fuel. Let's stop sending money to the oil barons and keep it in the US.

Hi folks!

I'm on vacation in Flordia (not far from the original location of the Leaf!) so I haven't checked this group in a few days. Thank you all for your responses. I made an offer of $10,500 "all-in" (tax, tags, other stuff!). They're supposed to get back to me tomorrow. With a daughter starting to drive around this time next year and two boys following a couple years later, I like the idea of a car that doesn't go very far! Range-anxiety can be useful!

Regarding the battery, is it true that a battery degraded by heat will continue to degrade faster even after being moved out of the "hot" area? Interesting. Also, looking at battery capacities of various Leafs based on age, it looks like this vehicle is right on the curve for a four-year-old vehicle (https://pushevs.com/2018/03/20/nissan-leaf-battery-degradation-data-24-vs-30-kwh-batteries/)

Anyway, thanks for the comments! I'll let you know what happens.

Rob

Regarding the battery, is it true that a battery degraded by heat will continue to degrade faster even after being moved out of the "hot" area? Interesting.

That isn't established. It wouldn't particularly surprise me with the pre-4/2013 packs, but I wouldn't expect it to be as much an issue with the later packs, except maybe for those that were in extreme heat for years in places like Arizona.

Well, the final price is just under $11,000k just for the Leaf. I think I'll continue to look a little bit, but don't think it's a bad deal. Thanks for all of your thoughts, suggestions, and opinions.

Rob

Back