GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Re: 2018 Leaf EVSE question

Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:35 am

MikeD wrote:lavalanguage: The 2017 NEC under article 625 appears to me to specify that a non-locking receptacle shall be used for a portable EVSE. To use a locking receptacle (normally of use only when vibration is present, say from a generator) not only presents an enhanced tripping danger but also more of a danger of pulling the receptacle apart if the plug is constrained when subjected to a large pulling force.

Secondly, I would, like Nissan, recommend a 50A dedicated circuit be run, not only because the heavier gauge wire is safer, but because portable EVSEs of the near future may require it. Also I currently see no reason to run a neutral wire. Thirdly, suggest running enough excess wire so that it would be easy to convert the circuit for a direct wired EVSE in the future for greater safety.

Compared to the labor adding the forth wire (neutral) is cheap. That way the receptacle is wired normally. Yes the EVSE does not require a neutral but many other things (Like an RV) do.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e

lavalanguage
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2018

Re: 2018 Leaf EVSE question

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Thank You all for the responses. I have learned so much about evolving reality of installing EVSE.

I think the Clipper Creek 30 model hard wired to the isolation switch sounds ideal and I have no reason
to think it should be a fire hazard. I was planning on testing the resistance of the #10 run back to the panel to make sure its not damaged.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”