Matty
Delivery Date: 22 Jun 2018

"New" MY13 owner in NZ

Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:09 am

Greetings all. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the upward-spiraling price of petrol here in New Zealand, my wife and I recently picked up a JDM 2013 Leaf X, with 43K km (~27K miles) on the odo and 11 bars. I'd already spent some time looking through the threads on here before purchasing, so a belated thank you to all for your unwitting input. Currently the Guessometer says we should get about 127km on a full charge, which is more than enough for the trips it'll be doing around our small town and the surrounding area - it'll rarely be asked to do more than about 70km in a day.

Unfortunately it wasn't the best introduction to EV motoring as the 12V battery went flat part-way through the school run on the first day, stranding my wife at my daughter's school. However since getting the dealer to replace the 12V it's been fine since. We're very much petrolheads so it's been a real change of mindset, and my wife has even started wavering on her two previous absolutes of vehicle purchases, namely RWD/AWD and as big an engine as will fit in the chassis.

I've been quite surprised by how spritely the car is - on the test drive I was a little underwhelmed and figured maybe coming from our current car (essentially a wagon version of an Infiniti G35X) was just tainting the impression, but once we'd picked it up I tried a few "what'll she do Mister" runs and was surprised to get wheelspin off the mark, and even at 40km/h on a wet road.

We're still hoons at heart though, so we've already tossed up the idea of suspension mods and more performance-oriented tyres. I know it'll drop the range somewhat, but we have plenty to spare so losing 10% or so won't matter. I also have a mate who tunes high performance vehicles (and heavy vehicles like CATs etc) and is reverse engineering a Leaf control unit, so maybe there's more options to come in future too, it's early days yet.

TL;DR: Hi, I bought a 2013 Leaf and I type a lot.

Cheers,
Matty.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: "New" MY13 owner in NZ

Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:49 am

I'll have you know, sir, that almost ALL of my input here is witting! ;-)
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Matty

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:42 am

Okay, nearly 4 weeks in and we've very quickly got used to driving an appliance around town. It's working out very nicely for us. Here's some metrics, converted to USD and US Gallons for easy consumption by the majority on here.

Power costs around 21c/kWh, which is pretty high compared to what other posters are paying. The "greenie" upside for us is that around 80% of New Zealand's power is generated from renewable resources (from highest to lowest: hydro, geothermal, wind, solar).

Fuel is even worse - a bit over $6/gal for premium, and it's only going up, with major infrastructure projects underway meaning the government is introducing higher fuel taxes. EVs are exempt from any road user charges until 2021, or until the EV fleet is 2% of all registered vehicles, whichever comes first. As it stands there are around 3.5M vehicles on the road, and around 8,000 EVs, so my money's on 2021.

Based on our daily usage we were spending about $420/month on fuel, while with the Leaf we're using about $80/month of power, so will be saving a little over $4,000/year. This means the car will have paid for itself in around 2 years and 10 months, at which point any money we get back for it is a bonus since we never bought it for resale value.

Coupled with the $3,000 or so we should get by selling the car the Leaf is replacing, it's turned out to be a very sound decision for our purposes.

Inver57
Delivery Date: 30 Jun 2018
Leaf Number: 060898

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:00 am

I also brought a 2013 Nissan Leaf X.
Last week in Dunedin, 19,000 km and 90% SOH

Very quiet and smooth with so many features.
I calculated the cost / km and compared it to my old Toyota Vitz/Yaris and it is 4 to 5 times cheaper on fuel costs.

The only thing is you really have to be careful when driving in the country, the battery runs flat really quickly at a 100 kph.
In the deep south there are not many charging stations.

21c/kwh? Seems quite steep, have you tried switchme.co.nz?

Electricity is 97% renewable down here, so even greener.

Matty

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Inver57 wrote:21c/kwh? Seems quite steep, have you tried switchme.co.nz?

That's a(nother) curse of living in the North Island, our power prices are significantly higher than down there - we're already on the best deal we could find. We're renting at the moment (Hawkes Bay) but once we've found some land to put an old villa on we're going to install as much solar as we can and see if we can go off-grid.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”