I Just Reserved a 2012 SV with 29k miles !!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayabusa

After years and years of wonder, I Just reserved a 2012 SV with 29k miles !!! The sells man told me that the car has 11 of 12 bars, is that even possible on this 6 year battery ?

Also the car is located in 320 miles from my home, do you guys think is doable to got it back driving ? (stopping every 50 miles to charge the battery ?) There is any web to plan a route with EV charging station out there ?

And last question, there is any way to check with the VIN number the factory configuration of car options ?

Thank you all and I will post pictures soon.

kayabusa said:
After years and years of wonder, I Just reserved a 2012 SV with 29k miles !!! The sells man told me that the car has 11 of 12 bars, is that even possible on this 6 year battery ?

Also the car is located in 320 miles from my home, do you guys think is doable to got it back driving ? (stopping every 50 miles to charge the battery ?) There is any web to plan a route with EV charging station out there ?

And last question, there is any way to check with the VIN number the factory configuration of car options ?
1) Losing only one bar in 6yrs/29kmiles is somewhat unlikely, but not impossible. With those low miles, it's probably the original battery, but obviously if the battery was replaced, that would explain the good health, too.

2) Driving half-a-dozen 50 mile legs is also not *impossible*, but it'll take you 12 to 15 hours if everything goes perfectly: all quick charger stations functional and available when you arrive. Also, the practicality of the drive you propose is pretty strongly dependent on just where it is. If you don't want to provide your approximate location, sign onto PlugShare and look for yourself.

3) Yes. Have you heard of this amazing web application called "Google"? Try looking up "nissan leaf vin decoder".

Levenkay said:
1) Losing only one bar in 6yrs/29kmiles is somewhat unlikely, but not impossible. With those low miles, it's probably the original battery, but obviously if the battery was replaced, that would explain the good health, too.

2) Driving half-a-dozen 50 mile legs is also not *impossible*, but it'll take you 12 to 15 hours if everything goes perfectly: all quick charger stations functional and available when you arrive. Also, the practicality of the drive you propose is pretty strongly dependent on just where it is. If you don't want to provide your approximate location, sign onto PlugShare and look for yourself.

3) Yes. Have you heard of this amazing web application called "Google"? Try looking up "nissan leaf vin decoder".

Thank you for the answers helps me a lot.

-Regarding the battery if it was replaced, should be on the carfax right ? because there is no battery replacement on the carfax...

-I Don't have the time for it, I'm just renting a uhaul trailer for the trip.

- Thank you for the recommendation, "vin decoder" was the keyword missing in my search....

Regarding Battery Warranty, I found this on the carfax : 2011-2016 Leaf lithium
ion battery is covered against capacity loss below 9 bars of capacity as shown on the
capacity level gauge for 5/60,000

Is that true ? I read something about 8/80,000 miles.

The 8/80,000mi warranty is not for capacity loss, unfortunately. So you will likely not get a battery replaced within warranty since it has been over 5 years. But on the bright side, it sounds like you have a pretty healthy battery so hopefully there won't be anything to worry about for years.

kayabusa said:
Levenkay said:

-Regarding the battery if it was replaced, should be on the carfax right ? because there is no battery replacement on the carfax...

- Thank you for the recommendation, "vin decoder" was the keyword missing in my search....

ion battery is covered against capacity loss below 9 bars of capacity as shown on the

Ohhh, that's not good ! is the cost for replacement still on $5k ? and there is anyway to check if the battery was already replaced ?

Ks70292 said:
The 8/80,000mi warranty is not for capacity loss, unfortunately. So you will likely not get a battery replaced within warranty since it has been over 5 years. But on the bright side, it sounds like you have a pretty healthy battery so hopefully there won't be anything to worry about for years.

kayabusa said:
Levenkay said:

If you have the VIN, you could try to find out service history from Nissan (probably would need to go through a dealer service department). Battery warranty on 2011 through 2015 was 8 years or 100,000 miles for defects and 5 years or 60,000 miles for capacity loss (loss of 4 capacity bars).

kayabusa said:
Ohhh, that's not good ! is the cost for replacement still on $5k ? and there is anyway to check if the battery was already replaced ?
Was originally $5499 + tax and labor: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=17168.

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25882 claims it has gone up to $7K + tax and labor. I've seen some FB posts elsewhere that claim the contrary. I'd check w/some dealer service depts for a quote.

Since you have the Carfax, where did it reside before? I find 11 bars remaining on a '12 to be rather unlikely, unless the battery was replaced or the car resided in very mild climate or it had its BMS reset (http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/11/buyers-beware-this-is-must-read.html). The pre-4/2013 built Leafs had terrible batteries in terms of degradation.
Ks70292 said:
The 8/80,000mi warranty is not for capacity loss, unfortunately. So you will likely not get a battery replaced within warranty since it has been over 5 years.
There's no such thing as an 8 year/80K mile warranty. What GerryAZ wrote is correct.
kayabusa said:
After years and years of wonder, I Just reserved a 2012 SV with 29k miles !!!
there is any way to check with the VIN number the factory configuration of car options ?
Why? It's not like there were really any options on a '12 SV anyway. See Specs tab of http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/Leaf-Press-Kits/presskits/US-2012-nissan-leaf-press-kit.

Levenkay mentioned quick charger stations. '12 SV doesn't have CHAdeMO inlet (quick charge port on the specs tab above). OP would be limited to charging at L2, the whole way w/the lame 3.3 kW (3.8 kW max from the wall) OBC. OP would need to budget time for stopping 6 to 8 hours for each charging stop, assuming they were doing level 2 charging each time.

How much is this car? I hope they're not planning to overpay. Unless it's dirt cheap, not sure why someone would want a '12 at this point, unless it had a replaced battery (esp. a lizard one). Otherwise, one better have modest driving range needs if they plan to keep for another say 5 years.

OP, can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

Back