V8BoatBuilder
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:32 am
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 311847

Just Took Delivery - What do You Wish You Knew When You Got Started...

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:48 am

Hi All:

I just purchased and drove home a 2018 SL with Tech Package, black-on-black. I beat the dealership up and got them to include free oil changes for life!! :lol: This car replaces a beloved VW TDI with a manual, I've gone from three pedals down to one!

Very impressed with the car, compared it against the Chevy Bolt and it was leaps and bounds above. I'll be using the car to commute ~40 miles each way daily in Central NJ. I'll be installing EVSE's outside at both my house and shop, even though it will most likely only be charged at work.

Question for all Leaf owners: What do you wish you knew about the Leaf and owning an electric vehicle when you first got started, that you've learned through ownership.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ec1Rx ... u2N4iYYFAu
2018 Leaf SL, black on black
Drive more, worry less.

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1347
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357
Location: Anaheim

Re: Just Took Delivery - What do You Wish You Knew When You Got Started...

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:55 am

Most here like Clipper Creek EVSE's I use and build OpenEVSE units. I understand the Amazing EVSE on Amazon is made by Clipper Creek. It is only 16A cut it will do the job overnight. At less than $200 it is hard to turn down.

There is also the Chinese units. They lack GFCI protection but they are less than $200 on Amazon.
Last edited by GlennD on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e

Levenkay
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:01 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 308382
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Just Took Delivery - What do You Wish You Knew When You Got Started...

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:57 am

In just about seven years of LEAF ownership (not all the same physical car, tho), I haven't discovered anything that would have altered the purchase decisions. There *have* been a couple disappointments of the "I wish they'd..." kind. The most significant of these is the lack of any kind of cooling for the battery, A couple notches down, potato-size-wise, is Nissan's lackluster approach to the notion of firmware updating.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 4852
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Just Took Delivery - What do You Wish You Knew When You Got Started...

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:09 am

V8BoatBuilder wrote:Hi All:

I just purchased and drove home a 2018 SL with Tech Package, black-on-black. I beat the dealership up and got them to include free oil changes for life!! :lol: This car replaces a beloved VW TDI with a manual, I've gone from three pedals down to one!

Very impressed with the car, compared it against the Chevy Bolt and it was leaps and bounds above. I'll be using the car to commute ~40 miles each way daily in Central NJ. I'll be installing EVSE's outside at both my house and shop, even though it will most likely only be charged at work.

Question for all Leaf owners: What do you wish you knew about the Leaf and owning an electric vehicle when you first got started, that you've learned through ownership.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ec1Rx ... u2N4iYYFAu


I learned through experience that Nissan's tire pressure recommendations resulted in rapid tire shoulder wear, particularly with the Ecopia tires. The batteries make these fairly heavy cars for their size. Caught it early by feeling the tires for "feathering", and once I bumped the Ecopias up to 44psi tire wear and handling improved. Not sure if this applies to 2018.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9228
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Just Took Delivery - What do You Wish You Knew When You Got Started...

Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:38 pm

When I bought my 2013 I wish I had known about the battery degrading under high Summer temps. I attribute half of the car's 5 year capacity loss to that first, HOT Summer.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DarthPuppy
Posts: 660
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:45 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Re: Just Took Delivery - What do You Wish You Knew When You Got Started...

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:55 pm

You're already on top of mine. I was going to recommend getting a L2 station as soon as possible. Once we got one, our use of the EV vs ICE increased quite a bit as the turn-around time for charging was greatly reduced.

Congrats on replacing the TDI with a Leaf - probably qualifies for a 'most improved' medal.
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

lkkms2
Gold Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:10 am
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 302025
Location: San Diego/National City, CA

Re: Just Took Delivery - What do You Wish You Knew When You Got Started...

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:41 am

V8BoatBuilder wrote:Hi All:

I beat the dealership up and got them to include free oil changes for life!! :lol:


I wish I had though of that :D

In the winter mornings you can enjoy preheating the car while the Leaf is plugged in, and in the summer you can precool while plugged into the EVSE.

I think you will enjoy the propilot features and the intelligent cruise control during your commute. Note you can adjust the desired spacing btwn you and the car in front of you when using the cruise control.
2011 Leaf SL purchased 6-22-2011, sold 1-18-2017 with new battery.
2017 Leaf SV with Premium Package purchased 12-30-2016

V8BoatBuilder
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:32 am
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 311847

Re: Just Took Delivery - What do You Wish You Knew When You Got Started...

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:52 am

Nubo wrote:I learned through experience that Nissan's tire pressure recommendations resulted in rapid tire shoulder wear, particularly with the Ecopia tires. The batteries make these fairly heavy cars for their size. Caught it early by feeling the tires for "feathering", and once I bumped the Ecopias up to 44psi tire wear and handling improved. Not sure if this applies to 2018.


Great tip - thanks! I usually run my tires at a higher PSI anyway, will jump from 36 to 38 to start and see where we go!
2018 Leaf SL, black on black
Drive more, worry less.

V8BoatBuilder
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:32 am
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 311847

Re: Just Took Delivery - What do You Wish You Knew When You Got Started...

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:54 am

DarthPuppy wrote: Congrats on replacing the TDI with a Leaf - probably qualifies for a 'most improved' medal.


TDI w/manual was a great car, NOx emission scandal aside, I was getting an honest 45mpg on my commute. But I'll take the medal. :lol:
2018 Leaf SL, black on black
Drive more, worry less.

V8BoatBuilder
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:32 am
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 311847

Re: Just Took Delivery - What do You Wish You Knew When You Got Started...

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:56 am

GlennD wrote:Most here like Clipper Creek EVSE's I use and build OpenEVSE units. I understand the Amazing EVSE on Amazon is made by Clipper Creek. It is only 16A cut it will do the job overnight. At less than $200 it is hard to turn down.

There is also the Chinese units. They lack GFCI protection but they are less than $200 on Amazon.


Since I have 208v at my shop, I am thinking of getting a OpenEVSE kit and taking the Nissan's EVSE J1772 cord to round it out (Nissan EVSE won't work on 208). Thoughts?
2018 Leaf SL, black on black
Drive more, worry less.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”