Actual Highway Range of 2018 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docrun

I have been researching BEVs for some time and have looked at the bolt, i3 and leaf and although the other vehicles have thermal management I prefer the overall design and features of the leaf. The price point helps as well. It will be mainly used for work commute which consists of 80% highway at about 70 mph and 20% city for 15 miles one way. I will be able to charge at home either level I or II. My main concern is how much range I will lose on the highway at 70+ mph with ac on and future battery degradation. I searched the forums and I did not see much mentioned on Florida heat in regards to battery degradation especially the newer leafs. It will be stored in a garage that is not air conditioned and parked in a covered garage at work. I would like to hear what your thoughts on owning a leaf in Florida. As a side note I have an ice for longer drives.

Thanks for your help,

Jim

My Wife and I have put about 500 miles on our 2018 Leaf SL so far, doing around-town errands but mostly on a 40 miles (each way) commute in NJ. It's been in the 90s this past week, and the car is black so the A/C is working hard! I drive fast, often setting the ProPilot at 75mph. We do lose some range going that fast, but not enough to make a difference.

Lowest we've ever had the battery is 20%, usually it's is the low 40s, and haven't been charging except at home, at night, to start the day with full 100%. I just put a 14-50 outlet in the driveway, for the first few days I was unplugging our dryer and using an adapter.

Go for it, it's a great car.

The title needs to be changed to reflect the specific question - we have far too many "2018 Leaf" topics. I suggest "Actual Highway Range of 2018 Leaf."

If your commute is only 15 miles one way, you should be more than fine even with significant degradation. I have a commute that’s 15 miles of country road at 40ish and 25 miles of highway at exactly 70 (that’s where the cruise maxes out for the Japanese LEAF). That’s 80 miles total and I can easily keep the battery between 20 and 80 percent while only charging at home. That’s using the air while driving and while sitting in the car during my lunch break. Your commute should be no sweat.

Thank you for all of your responses. I have updated my subject, sorry about that. This information helps.

Thanks everyone.

jonathanfields4ever said:
If your commute is only 15 miles one way, you should be more than fine even with significant degradation. I have a commute that’s 15 miles of country road at 40ish and 25 miles of highway at exactly 70 (that’s where the cruise maxes out for the Japanese LEAF). That’s 80 miles total and I can easily keep the battery between 20 and 80 percent while only charging at home. That’s using the air while driving and while sitting in the car during my lunch break. Your commute should be no sweat.

Pretty much the exact same experience here with my 2018 Leaf.

Although I don't cruise as often as I should so I might get less value.

I haven't tested a max range yet (I got a 2018 SV on Monday). I've already put 300 miles on it though. My 70 mile commute at average highway speeds of 70+ mph and a big hill (up and down) brought me from 95% down to 39%. No climate control on.

cmaadams said:
I haven't tested a max range yet (I got a 2018 SV on Monday). I've already put 300 miles on it though. My 70 mile commute at average highway speeds of 70+ mph and a big hill (up and down) brought me from 95% down to 39%. No climate control on.

Wow. That’s a heck of a commute. What’s your charging situation at work?

Docrun said:
I have been researching BEVs for some time and have looked at the bolt, i3 and leaf and although the other vehicles have thermal management I prefer the overall design and features of the leaf. The price point helps as well. It will be mainly used for work commute which consists of 80% highway at about 70 mph and 20% city for 15 miles one way. I will be able to charge at home either level I or II. My main concern is how much range I will lose on the highway at 70+ mph with ac on and future battery degradation. I searched the forums and I did not see much mentioned on Florida heat in regards to battery degradation especially the newer leafs. It will be stored in a garage that is not air conditioned and parked in a covered garage at work. I would like to hear what your thoughts on owning a leaf in Florida. As a side note I have an ice for longer drives.

Thanks for your help,

Jim
Buy one with thermal management! Whether you drive the car a lot or not, it will degrade about the same over time. A hot garage is not good on an electric car. Especially one without thermal cooling. Cars that have thermal cooling heat the garage even more but at least they save your battery. Garage ventilation is your friend.

Seems like lots of Leaf haters and battery worry-worts on this forum. I find it hard to believe that the Leaf can't handle Florida heat if you are not fast-charging.

Where is the evidence to back up telling this guy not to buy?

V8BoatBuilder said:
Seems like lots of Leaf haters and battery worry-worts on this forum. I find it hard to believe that the Leaf can't handle Florida heat if you are not fast-charging.

People with experience are offering good advice. I see you are in NJ. That is one of the better climates to utilize a Nissan Leaf. Florida is not. Please spend some time reading about the history of Nissan Leaf's battery shortcomings throughout this forum. You and I may not want it to be true, but the truth is inescapable. Because of those problems, the Nissan Leaf also suffers from crushing quick depreciation.

Evoforce said:
V8BoatBuilder said:

People with experience are offering good advice. I see you are in NJ. That is one of the better climates to utilize a Nissan Leaf. Florida is not. Please spend some time reading about the history of Nissan Leaf's battery shortcomings throughout this forum. You and I may not want it to be true, but the truth is inescapable. Because of those problems, the Nissan Leaf also suffers from crushing quick depreciation.

Depreciation is also high because of the tax credit(s), which new cars get and used cars do not. This adds $7,500 to $12,000+ to the depreciation.

Depreciation is also high because of the improving market for EVs. A 24kWh Leaf sold nationwide was a groundbreaking market leading development in 2011. When I bought my 2014 Leaf, a used Leaf sold for almost the same as I did buy a new Leaf for, after tax credits. A 40kWh Leaf is behind the market in 2018.

Depreciation is also high because of how Nissan sells all cars at a discount to MSRP, and how depreciation is (often) calculated using MSRP.

Yes, some of the higher depreciation is due to the faster capacity loss in hot places. But the observation that there a lot of Leaf haters is correct. Some of them seem to own Tesla stock, and are trying to cut down on the competition. Some live in hot places and didn't have a good Leaf experience. One wants to promote hydrogen cars. And so on. And some can't seem to paint in greys or colors, only black and white.

However, there are many people that love their Leafs. Most of the people I know in person. Unlike some of the competition, few drive trains have been replaced, no major "Stop Safely Now" errors, no traction battery fires, no battery with half charge suddenly empty errors and so on. For the commute and around town car, it really is a nice ride. Comfortable, safe, reliable. Perhaps not as durable of battery as one might wish, especially the 2011 and 2012. The 30kWh battery had a capacity reporting problem, and otherwise the question isn't settled as to how durable the battery is.

Someone buying a Leaf in Florida should be aware that the best case is that the battery drops below the capacity threshold just before the warranty, and not just after the warranty.

jonathanfields4ever said:
cmaadams said:

Wow. That’s a heck of a commute. What’s your charging situation at work?

There is a city owned parking garage that I park in for $100/month (but now that I have an EV it will be zero, they offer free parking to EVs bought at a dealership in the city). There are 10 level 2 charging stations ($1 to start plus $0.25/kWh). It cost me about $7 for to charge to 100%.

There is also a DCQC a few blocks away at the whole foods that is part of the no charge to charge program.

Back