MikeD
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 592

Re: Plug-in EVSE - safer to leave it plugged in all the time, or should I unplug/plug every day?

Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Kieran973: FYI in a Chat today with a Clipper Creek representative, he wrote regarding my question about a NEMA 6-20P option for their LCS-20 that their electricians did not think that the usual 6-20 receptacle/plug was "robust" enough to support EVSE charging, and so, as an alternative, recommended using direct wiring. I did not say BTW that the receptacle would be outdoors.

On their FAQ they recommended using direct wiring for their outdoor EVSEs (even though they noted the 2017 NEC allows outdoor EVSE cord and plug wiring if additional safety steps are taken).

Kieran973
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2018

Re: Plug-in EVSE - safer to leave it plugged in all the time, or should I unplug/plug every day?

Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Thanks for looking into that, MikeD. As much as I'd like to be able to use a plug-in EVSE that I can unplug and take with me when I move apartments for no extra $$, the more I look into it, the more the hardwired lcs-20 seems like the way to go, only because the EVSE will be 100% outdoors. Part of me thinks that it would be fine to just plug the lcs-20p into a 240V socket, then put a plastic weather cover over it, then put a locked junction box over that, but hardwiring is probably still safer.

Question for you (or anyone else): is the ClipperCreek lcs-20 difficult to install? My electrician said he was concerned that he would have to bring the 20A pipe right into the EVSE, and that there was only a knockout for him to insert his wire in the back. But the ClipperCreek Q&A page that I found says that all their hardwired EVSEs "have three feet of flexible conduit coming from the top or bottom...of the station with the service wires sticking out of the conduit an additional six inches or so for easy installation into a junction box." So hopefully it is in fact easy....

SalisburySam
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 018156

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:01 am

Whether you go hard-wired or plug-in, it would be handy but not required to have a circuit shut-off somewhere near the charging unit. When I had my L2 unit installed in the garage back in late 2011, the distance to the controlling circuit breakers in the load center was quite far and the electrician suggested the shut-off. As it turned out, this became very handy as I had a unit that failed and was replaced under warranty. The ability to shut down the circuit without having to run to a distant load center made removal of the old unit, installation of the new one, and various testing to be done quickly and easily.

Where I live now, I have the L2 unit about 15 feet from the relevant load center in the garage so no additional shut-off is needed. Since your installation is a good ways and two floors from the EVSE, a close-by shut-off could be very handy.

Good luck with your solution, and update the forum with results and pictures please!
Nissan 2012 LEAF SL Super Black
12,900 miles, 10 bars showing, 75% SOH, 49.80 Ahr

Tesla Model 3 - Basic Black | Long Range | Premium Upgrade Package | Extended AutoPilot | Full Self-Driving
Delivered: July 19, 2018 | 4,900 miles

Kieran973
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2018

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:20 pm

Thanks for the tip. I can absolutely post pictures if folks are interested. The work won't be done for a few weeks but I'll report back when it's finished.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”