Trickle charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvpatpatt

Hi,
2015 Leaf arrived a few hours ago.
I plugged it into the socket for trickle charge, my wife is concerned that the charger is very hot (but I can hold it in my hand), also the Leaf owners manual says not to use it on a regular basis. I was hoping to just plug it in when not in use including overnight.
Any knowledge is appreciated.
Thanks

Pat

lvpatpatt said:
Hi,
I plugged it into the socket for trickle charge, my wife is concerned that the charger is very hot (but I can hold it in my hand), also the Leaf owners manual says not to use it on a regular basis. I was hoping to just plug it in when not in use including overnight.
Thanks

Pat

I trickle charge my 2012 leaf every night since 2015 (I bought it used), I get home at 6pm, plug it in, inside my garage and when I leave for work at 7-8am it's charged and done charging, I do this Mon-Friday night every week. I have no issues, the only thing I have noticed is it get's the car to 45, 49 in Econ mode. But when I use the charger at work, ChargePoint, it get's it to 53, 58 in Econ mode so go figure !

S

lvpatpatt said:
Hi,
Thanks

Pat

The EVSE (trickle charger - 120 volt) that comes with the Leaf is slower and less efficient than a dedicated unit. It can be used, and many use it, as the only EVSE for the car, even though Nissan recommends against doing so. You need to make sure the outlet it plugs in to is in great shape (tight connection), with no other heavy loads on the circuit.

If at all possible to install, you (your wife) will be much happier with a dedicated (240 volt) EVSE. It is faster charging, more efficient, and no heat issues with the unit.

You will also see a lot of complaints here, if you use the wrong terms. The unit that supplies electricity to the car is an EVSE. The charger is built into the car.

I used the EVSE that came with the car until I got a dedicated unit installed. It now stays in the bag in the back of the car, for emergency use.

Back