New 2013 SL owner questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excid182

I just picked up my new to me 2013 Nissan Leaf SL yesterday and loving it so far. Already did my first quick charge right after I left the Ford dealership I bought it at due to it being at 55%. The car is in great shape and only has 23,500 miles. The only downside to the vehicle is that it is down to 10 bars. I did find out that even though my car was manufactured in 06/2013, the actual in service/ warranty date was not until 06/2014 due to it sitting on the lot for a year when it first came out. This would mean that my battery degradation warranty is good until 06/2019 according to Nissan.

I performed my first LeafSpy check last night and I have posted the results here. From what I gather from reading and the data I've read on this website, it looks like I just lost my 11th bar not too long ago and I have about 10-11% until I get to the dreaded 8 bar mark. So this leaves me with a couple of questions on how I treat the battery over this next 10-11 months.

1. Do I baby/ take care of it like I normally would and just try to minimize any more loss as best I can?

2. Do I go try to drain this thing as much as possible before 06/2019 so I can get a new battery under the warranty? Is this doable in that amount of time?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and looking forward to ownership with this vehicle.

2qltma8.jpg

33pat03.jpg

257dtdu.jpg

This is a tough one. A pre 4/2013 battery would degrade fast, but you have a pack that normally resists rapid degradation. I'd say that if your climate is hot, keep the car fully charged and quick charge it while hot, to get it to drop that 9th bar. If your climate is cool, you need to look at how well it meets your range needs, and baby it if it will serve you well with 10 bars.

To avoid repeated questions about where you live, please put the nearest city and state where you live in your profile.

There is not much chance to drop to 8 bars in 8 months even in your relatively hot climate. The only chance would be to drive lots of miles without using DCQC and I would say that you would only have about 10% or 20% chance of success.

Thanks for the responses! I knew somebody would know if it could be done or not. I will go ahead and start doing my best to preserve with all the tips/ tricks everyone has in the forums.

Back