Should I buy a used 2013 Leaf if the battery has already been replaced?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainerp

While researching a used 2013 Nissan Leaf SV with 30K miles on it, I reviewed the CarFax and found out that the battery was replaced in November 2016.

I'm assuming this is a good sign, because I would only be purchasing a 1.5 year old battery, but I'm not aware of all the things I need to be considering.

The car is only $10,500, so I'm excited it may be a good deal. Please help a potential new Leaf owner out!

Thanks!

Replaced or not, you really want to know the current state of the battery in the car. For instance, my 2013 still has 12 bars (although it is getting close to losing the first). If that car had to get a replacement in 2016, then the old battery was at 8 bars. If the car is still in the same (probably hot) location, then the new battery could be down a bar or two already.

That's helpful. Do you have any thoughts on waiting until the 2019's are released to buy an older model? I've read elsewhere that it might make these older ones depreciate even more.

Ahh, yes that makes sense that it might be the 12 volt battery. It's in the list in the CarFax as:

11/18/2016
Maintenance inspection completed
Tire condition and pressure checked
Battery replaced

12/19/2016 Auto Auction
Tennessee Vehicle sold at auction

When considering a 2013 purchase, find out the build date for the car. Avoid anything built before April 2013, unless you can verify the traction battery has been replaced, as they are the older style (2012) that degrades rapidly in the heat. I have one built in January 2013, and was able to get the traction battery replaced under warranty last fall, essentially making it a new car.

A build date of 2/2013 will certainly have the battery with subpar chemistry.

However, it might still be a decent purchase depending upon a number of factors:
  • selling price
  • current state of the battery (remaining bars and reading via LeafSpyPro)
  • where the car has been (hot climate?)
  • where you are (hot climate?)
Finally, it all comes down to what your requirements are. Will this be your only car? Are you looking for just a 2nd commuter car? If so, what is your commute?

You might add your location to your user profile.

Thanks for the tip! I'm in Nashville and the CARFAX says the prior owners were in Nashville and Atlanta. I'm starting to think this is not the best option. There's another 2014 SV for $1,100 more with the similar mileage from Sunnydale, California, which might be a better bet, since I would get the warranty and the better battery.

Back