Newbie Leaf purchase options (Carmax)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvdesertsquid

Hi All,

I've perused the newbie section and generally think I know what I should do, but I'd love to hear from the "Been there, done that" folks just as an added reassurance...thanks in advance!

Dealer: Carmax
Salesman: very unfamiliar with EVs
Vehicle Needs: 34mile RT 2-3x per week (likely consecutive days); no Level 2 charging options currently, would use just trickle charger at home overnight. Beyond commute would be local only (within 10-20mi RT) local errands; would be 2nd vehicle with an ICE vehicle as primary.

Purchase options available to me are as follows:

1) 2015 Leaf S, 26K miles, 12 bars, $12K (black interior)

2) 2014 Leaf SV, 45K miles, 11 bars $10K (light gray interior)

3) 2016 Leaf S, 24K miles, bars unknown, $15K (light gray interior)

4) 2 choices 2012 Leaf SL, 38K/45K, bars unknown, $9K (interior unkown)

Drove option #1, battery % on dash was 68% with a range meter of 54 miles. Only checked bars on #2, didn't check options 3 or 4.

Was leaning towards the 15 S, but curious if the 14 SV options would be more useful to me?? (touch-screen stuff that I really didn't have a chance to play with). Or, should I consider an older 12 model, pocket the saved money in anticipation of a battery replacement in the next 2-3 years (don't know battery life on the 12's options). Not sure the extra $3K cost for a similar mile 16 (vice 15) is worth it??

Appreciate your thoughts on this!
CM

With your modest range needs, the '14 SV would likely be best overall. That battery won't degrade extremely rapidly, so you likely wouldn't have to replace it for a few years. OTOH, you live in a hot climate, and the '15 has the most heat-tolerant battery Nissan ever made. If the car will be exposed to full daytime heat regularly, I'd suggest the '15 S. If you can keep the car out of the worst heat most of the time, the '14 offers the best overall deal. Stay away from the pre'13 cars.

The biggest functional difference between the S and SV/SL is the heater; S uses a more power hungry heater than the heat pump system of the more expensive trims. However with your short range needs (and ICEV backup) I don't think it would be an issue for you.

Personally, I think the nav system on the higher trim Leafs isn't all that great. I often found myself just using my smartphone. However the nav screen allows for an easier, and more flexible, setting of charge timers. If you don't expect to use charger timers, that won't be a problem.

S trim Leafs also lack a "B" mode, and while there is an "Eco" mode the amount of regen is less.

You may want to check out this 2015 SV with 40k miles for $13k. It is at CarMax's store in San Jose, CA but can be sent to Henderson for just $99: https://www.carmax.com/car/15945331 Auto Check shows it was registered in Burlingame, CA (San Francisco Peninsula) so it's lived in a relatively cool climate.

Bought a leaf from CarMax recently and very pleased with whole experience. Found 2015 SV, was $11K with premium package (Bose sound and around view cameras). At 54k miles but leaf spy shows 86% on battery. SV rear view and around view cameras were killer features for my spouse who has anxiety about parking.

To me 2015 is the ideal point on the price curve. Lots of 2015 leased cars hitting the market and they have the lizard battery which should last better.

I am good at haggling and dealing with car dealers and private sellers. But I don’t ENJOY it. With more work and hassle could have gotten a better deal sure . But CarMax wa so much less work. Like the warranty they want to sell you is pretty soft sell, she only said 7 out of 10 buy it. We declined and there was no “let me bring out my manager” routine like dealers do. We paid with check and were out of there much faster than any dealer I’ve ever been to.

She did say 50% of the leafs she sold came back. CarMax has a 5 day no questions return and that amount of people just decide an EV is not for them!

Will do carmax again. Hopefully someday Nissan E-nv200 will make it to USA market!

LeftieBiker said:
OTOH, you live in a hot climate, and the '15 has the most heat-tolerant battery Nissan ever made. If the car will be exposed to full daytime heat regularly, I'd suggest the '15 S.
I agree about getting a '15. I've been to Vegas in the summer several times including this past Wednesday thru Sunday for a Star Trek convention.

The weather in Vegas during the summer is nuts (e.g. still past 90 F or even 100 F at 10 pm; 105+ F during the day). Per Google weather, at 2 am Pacific time, it's 88 F. Forecast high Thursday is 108 F and forecast low is 84 F. Forecast highs for Thu thru Tues are 105+.

RonDawg said:
The biggest functional difference between the S and SV/SL is the heater; S uses a more power hungry heater than the heat pump system of the more expensive trims. However with your short range needs (and ICEV backup) I don't think it would be an issue for you.

Personally, I think the nav system on the higher trim Leafs isn't all that great. I often found myself just using my smartphone. However the nav screen allows for an easier, and more flexible, setting of charge timers. If you don't expect to use charger timers, that won't be a problem.

S trim Leafs also lack a "B" mode, and while there is an "Eco" mode the amount of regen is less.
Agree with most of the above except about B mode. '15 S trim added B-mode and cruise control. See below. '13 to '14 S trims didn't have either. You had to go to SV or SL for that on '13 to '14.

I'll agree the Leaf nav system isn't great (in fact, it lacks some features that my 06 Prius has) but I prefer using the nav system most of the time over my phone for navigation purposes.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit (text and Specs tab)
http://www.plugincars.com/2015-nissan-leaf-features-and-pricing.html

Thanks to everyone for their inputs. I've put the purchase on hold for the time-being, but will resume the search for a '15 S model in the near future!!! I think the heat of Vegas makes at least a '15 or newer a requirement and I'm super familiar with Android Auto to not need a nav system built in (and add'l fees).

Thanks again for great inputs and a great forum!

CM

Back