LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: Charging a used 2015 Leaf for a dummy (me)

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:32 pm

leez34 wrote:I can find my own electrician, but what will they be installing? I want to get a regular charge. I would assume every person on this board must have done this!

First, an explanation of "circuit." This is a cable running from a single breaker (or one or two fuses) in your main electrical box (or local sub-panel connected to your main box), and all of the outlets and appliances that this one cable feeds. Dryer outlets are supposed to be the only thing connected to their circuit, but this isn't always the case. IF your dryer is all alone on its circuit as required, and IF the outlet, wiring and breaker* all all in good shape, then as Cwerdna wrote, you just need an adapter plug in order to replace the dryer with the charging cable, aka "EVSE."

You can't use the dryer and the EVSE at once, though, and plugging and unplugging them a lot isn't a great idea either, so you may need to ask the electrician you hire to inspect the wiring if local code allows you to have a second 240 volt outlet on the dryer circuit for the EVSE. If so, then be sure to use only one of the two at a time, or better yet have an either/or switch installed so that only one outlet is live at a time. If not, you have to decide between the dryer and the EVSE.

* If you have fuses in your main panel instead of breakers, then you need a separate shutoff switch for the EVSE. Why? Because if one of the two fuses used for a 240 volt circuit blows but not the other one, you get a dangerous situation in which the EVSE seems to be dead, but is actually energized with 120 volts.

I still charge using 120 volts because this is enough for me 95% of the time. I do intend to install a 240 volt outlet, but haven't yet. Many others here also use the 120 volt "trickle" charge.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Dooglas
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 314779

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Sounds like you have a 220V 30A circuit for your dryer in the garage. You could use this circuit for a level 2 EVSE. I would not recommend plugging and unplugging the dryer and the EVSE. You could use a switch to energize just one or the other of the 220V outlets as LeftieBiker suggests. However, it is likely that you have room in your main breaker box for another 30A circuit, so you could have an electrician wire in an additional 30A outlet in your garage. Since the wire run would only be a few feet, that should not be expensive. I did something similar except that I had a 30A circuit at the main box which was no longer in use after removing a hot tub. I plugged a Clipper Creek 30A EVSE into the new dryer type outlet and have used it successfully for 5 years now.
2013 Leaf SV - lease ended, 2016 Leaf S30

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:28 pm

Sounds like you have a 220V 30A circuit for your dryer in the garage.

120 and 240 volts are the standards this century. I forgot to mention (Cwerdna did) that a 30 amp dryer circuit can't safely support a 27.5 amp EVSE. It can be no more than 24 amps due to the 80% rule. Clipper Creek sells good, inexpensive, US-made home charging stations, and they are all labelled by the circuit size rather than the less useful output amperage. So something like an HCS-30 would be in order.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

leez34
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2018

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:15 am

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. After reading all this, I think I should be just fine with the trickle charge at home most of the time, and public charging when necessary.

I just won’t run the wash when charging the car.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”