Before we buy?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdquatro

We have decided to buy a used Leaf that will be our secondary/commuter car. Approx mileage per day will range from 15 to 30 miles per day. The "long" commute day has a charging station. I've been researching to the point of exhaustion now and need some assistance.
Here are some quick hits on things that are true and others that I think are true/settled.

- Live in PNW
- Settled on SV (or SL if priced appropriately)
- Settled on 2015 Model
- Purchased LeafSpy
- Ordered LeLink Bluetooth
- Will only consider car that has been lived in PNW/similar climate prev.

We have several options to choose from based on this criteria but still, I have questions and want to ensure I am making the proper choice. Is there any compelling reason to look at the 2014 SV over 2015 SV? I mean what price point is the difference maker? I am finding 2015's under 13k and hoping to come in at under 12k min. Should I be asking for less (if so why)?

- When I drive the car and use LeafSpy what specifically should I be looking for?
- What questions should I pre-ask dealer/seller?
- Any specific mileage concerns or is it all based on the battery?

Sorry for the 20 questions. Thanks for this forum. Looking forward to moving to being another leaf amongst the leaves.

It's all based on the battery up to maybe 50-60k miles. Then look at wear and tear as well. Since you can afford a 2015, that should be your focus. OTOH, given your low range needs, a 2014 could save you $1k or more, and still degrade slowly in your climate. Think about how long you want to keep the car.

I am hoping that the car will last us a good 5-7 years. One of the real challenges I finding (creating?) is that the salespeople I am asking questions of don't seem to know the answers to the questions I ask about the battery. They'll say things like "the battery is great", "it has 9 of 12 bars!", "when do you want to come for a test drive". I don't know how to respond to that stuff.

Back