Thoughts on a 2015 Leaf from CarMax?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandiegoEVnewbie

Hi All - thanks ahead for any input you can provide. I've gone down a bit of a rabbit hole looking for a used Leaf, but would love to know what thoughts you (as experts!) might have to add to my decision.

I have a hold on a 2015 Leaf S at CarMax, 36k miles and based on the pictures it looks like 11 out of 12 bars. Selling for $11k. It does have the fast-charge (pictures show additional 2 orange wires, for a total of 3, under the hood). I live in San Diego and my daily commute is around 15 miles roundtrip. I can charge from home at night (normal outlet) and my work is installing 10 charging stations soon, so I'll be covered there as well.

I don't need any additional features, really all I want is 1) a battery that is not junk and 2) fast-charging capability. Does this sound like a good deal for my needs? Thanks ahead anyone and everyone that has productive input! Very much appreciated...

Shoot sorry - one additional comment. CarMax has a 3-year warranty offer for an additional $1k, but it looks like it is geared for non-EV cars, as it covers engine, transmission, etc. but not battery life (I specifically asked that). It sounds like it doesn't make sense to go with, but curious if anyone else has purchased from CarMax and weighed the pros/cons... thanks again.

You might want to consider buying a LEAF from farther north and using a tow dolly from U-Haul to transport it back home. For instance, if you could get a SF Bay area 2015 LEAF S, which hasn't spent time in hotter climates (CarFax report will show its location history), there will likely still be all 12 capacity bars on it. You would need a decent tow vehicle, something with at least a V6 and a 3500 lb towing capacity.

Alternatively, there are lots of car moving companies that will do it for you - expect to pay about $500 minimum.

Just for reference I just purchased (yesterday) a 2014 Leaf SL from CarMax with 12500 miles and all 12 bars for $12900. Keep in mind that CarMax will ship a car you like for free from nearby areas.

fastkat said:
Just for reference I just purchased (yesterday) a 2014 Leaf SL from CarMax with 12500 miles and all 12 bars for $12900. Keep in mind that CarMax will ship a car you like for free from nearby areas.

Not always. Sometimes they have cars that are "not transferable" and sometimes they will do so for free, or real cheap (like $99) from surprisingly far-away locations. The car's listing will tell you what the transfer eligibility is.

For example, this car at their location in Duarte CA does qualify for free transfer to Henderson NV: https://www.carmax.com/car/16315607

And this car can be transferred to Henderson from Pleasanton CA (SF Bay Area) for just $99: https://www.carmax.com/car/16298916

Yet this car also at Pleasanton shows "Not Transferable." https://www.carmax.com/car/16299103

I suspect that cars that aren't selling as quickly as they like might be more eligible for transfer (particularly cheap transfer) than ones that just showed up on their lot.

Congrats on the purchase.

Back