joeriv
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:33 pm
Location: Fairfield County CT

Re: Looking at a 2013 Leaf

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Have you tried Carvana? I looked on their site using Oklahoma City zip code and they have a good selection of Leafs. With a 7 day return policy I think this would give you more choices.

You are thinking of spending $14,500 with a new battery- seems like you can do better with Carvana. I have never used them so I am only suggesting another option.
2017 Leaf S with QC, JUN mfg date

Ingroundeffect
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:28 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2018

Re: Looking at a 2013 Leaf

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:14 pm

I have looked at carvana but i dont think any of their inventory is in OKC. I contacted vroom.com about a car listed in okc but reality is all of their inventory is in Houston. Those listings are a sham to make you think the car is local when it is not.

Also, i have seen a couple of 2014/2105 cars that are 11/12 bar cars with above 50,000 miles. Is it possible to have a 3/4 year old leaf that is still 11/12 bars? Are they ressetting the bms for the photos?

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9213
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Looking at a 2013 Leaf

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:55 pm

There are likely 2012 Leafs with Canary packs and almost 100k miles on them with 12 bars. It depends on the climate and pack type more than mileage or age. Carvana and other dealers tend to get off-lease cars from hot climates. You have to use the VIN check services (there is a good free one*) to find out where the car resided previously.


* https://www.vehiclehistory.com/vehicle/land.php
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

alozzy
Posts: 1072
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: Looking at a 2013 Leaf

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:11 pm

@Ingroundeffect If the BMS was reset, there would be 12 capacity bars showing and the LeafSpy stats would be suspiciously high. It's a pretty safe bet that, at least for a 2013, you're seeing actual capacity bars remaining. For a 2013 LEAF that's resided in a cooler climate, 11 bars is actually pretty typical - 12 bars though would be exceedingly rare at this point.

A BMS reset, although unlikely, is a strong possibility on a 2015 that's showing 12 capacity bars, yet originates from a hot climate (ie Texas, Arizona, etc).

Any 2015 that's resided in a cooler climate will likely have 12 capacity bars remaining (i.e. a PNW 2015 LEAF would almost certainly have 12 capacity bars remaining).
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Ingroundeffect
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:28 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2018

Re: Looking at a 2013 Leaf

Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Most every car i am looking at will be in the oklahoma, texas, kansas area. General summer temps in the 90’s. We have not had many scorchers the last 5 years above 100 for more than a day or 2.

Lothsahn
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Re: Looking at a 2013 Leaf

Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:20 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Lothsahn wrote:I just went and rechecked and my leaf is now down to 7 bars, not 8. It has a 58% SOH. At 80% charge, the GOM is 39 miles (it's reads 49 miles at 100%) in park (not eco). After driving the car 26 miles (2 miles at 65 mph, 24 miles at 45 mph), the GOM shows 6 miles. I don't have exact SOC at this point, but I can get it in the next couple days. Voltage delta from min to max battery cell is 22mv according to Leafspy at 6mi left. Tire pressure is 38psi, but it did not come with Ecopia tires.

You are correct in that I haven't taken it to VLBW. I made the assumption that because 39mi drops 33mi in 26 miles, that 6 miles will become 0 in 4-5 miles, but that could be wrong. When I do drive it on the highway, the mileage is far far worse.

Oh. Eek regarding 7 bars. :( Yeah, you're calling it quits too early and it sounds like you aren't charging to full either. The GOM still actually shows a number and yes the GOM sucks.

As I mentioned at viewtopic.php?p=447143#p447143, Turbo3 told me about the imbalance reaching hundreds of mV when near dead.

Your tire pressure is too low and it's possible your tires are also further hurting your range.

You can also use the Leaf Spy's smarter GOM to help adjust your driving if you need to make a certain distance.

Don't worry about the % SoC that Leaf Spy shows. IMHO, that's worthless. Instead, look at the raw number of gids. LBW should sound at ~49 gid and VLBW should sound at ~24 gid.


So you were right. I call it quits when it shows 8 miles left or so, but that leaves 50 gids in my pack. I should be more willing to go lower--I was afraid the car would just quit. But with 50 gids left, that's a lot of leftover range...

I'm also not willing to inflate my tires more. Two of the tires are max rated for 44 psi, so I don't want to put more than 38 psi cold into them, as when temps go up or as you drive on them, pressures rise. No potential tire failure is worth an extra mile or two of range. I guess I could inflate the other two to 40-42 psi (they max at 50psi).

I'm sure the previous owner qualified for an in-warranty battery replacement. Unfortunately, they didn't do that, and it's beyond 5 years now, so too bad for me.

Btw, driving very conservatively (slower speeds and braking very carefully) I started at 70% SOC (120 gids) and got home with 40 gids after going 35 miles round trip. That means at 100% SOC I should be able to get 74 miles, which would be rather insane on a 7 bar battery. Keep in mind that I caught nearly every green light, almost never used the brakes, and was going 40 MPH most of the trip :) But again, once I get on a highway and I'm going 60-70 mph, the range and battery tanks. It may be amplified by my weak battery--an older battery will have a higher internal resistance, which will kick in at higher current draws. So I expect to lose more mileage at high power settings than those with a fresh battery.

cwerdna
Posts: 8085
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Looking at a 2013 Leaf

Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Lothsahn wrote:I'm also not willing to inflate my tires more. Two of the tires are max rated for 44 psi, so I don't want to put more than 38 psi cold into them, as when temps go up or as you drive on them, pressures rise. No potential tire failure is worth an extra mile or two of range. I guess I could inflate the other two to 40-42 psi (they max at 50psi).

Max 44 psi is almost certainly max cold pressure, not max hot/warm pressure. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=196 concurs with this.

I would be more concerned about running out once you go below much below VLBW (2nd warning) which is when the GOM goes to --- miles and should sound at ~24 gids. Since I've not had a "date with the turtle" yet, someone else w/expertise will have to chime in regards to the triggers for turtle lighting up followed by contactor opening (car saying it's done). People have talked about the voltage of the lowest module being the criteria, but I'm not clear of the actual values on an '11 or '12 that'd trigger it.

https://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/201 ... r-end.html has a video of them driving a new '11 Leaf until dead. Leaf Spy didn't exist yet and they didn't have a gid meter (not sure if it was figured out yet).

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9213
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Looking at a 2013 Leaf

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:49 pm

The max sidewall pressure rating is always cold, and people here run tires as high as 50psi. I don't endorse that, but those of us who run 40-42psi aren't endangering anyone.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Lothsahn
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Re: Looking at a 2013 Leaf

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:01 am

cwerdna wrote:Max 44 psi is almost certainly max cold pressure, not max hot/warm pressure. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=196 concurs with this.


Awesome, good to know. Learn something new every day. Thanks!

Reddy
Posts: 1534
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828
Location: Pasco, WA

Re: Looking at a 2013 Leaf

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:24 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Lothsahn wrote:I'm also not willing to inflate my tires more. Two of the tires are max rated for 44 psi, so I don't want to put more than 38 psi cold into them, as when temps go up or as you drive on them, pressures rise. No potential tire failure is worth an extra mile or two of range. I guess I could inflate the other two to 40-42 psi (they max at 50psi).

Max 44 psi is almost certainly max cold pressure, not max hot/warm pressure. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=196 concurs with this.

I would be more concerned about running out once you go below much below VLBW (2nd warning) which is when the GOM goes to --- miles and should sound at ~24 gids. Since I've not had a "date with the turtle" yet, someone else w/expertise will have to chime in regards to the triggers for turtle lighting up followed by contactor opening (car saying it's done). People have talked about the voltage of the lowest module being the criteria, but I'm not clear of the actual values on an '11 or '12 that'd trigger it.

https://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/201 ... r-end.html has a video of them driving a new '11 Leaf until dead. Leaf Spy didn't exist yet and they didn't have a gid meter (not sure if it was figured out yet).
Great advice. I've not visited the turtle in a while, but you can easily expect 10 mi after LBW to VLBW and then another 10 mi to turtle. Granted, this is at LESS than freeway speeds, 35-50 mph. On a 7-bar car, not driven below LBW, I would expect very little range, like the 20-30 mi reported. Once anyone gets to those levels, you have to expect more difficulties and certainly getting more used to LBW and even VLBW. I keep my 9 bar 2011 Leaf charged to about 4-5 bars, in preparation for those future days, but then my commute is 8 mi RT on 35 mph surface streets.
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 45.80 AHr; 45,000 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”