Home L2 Charger Compatibility - 2018 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwhite692

Hello, and thanks to all who have posted helpful information in this forum. I was not able to find an answer to my question via search...

We just bought our 2018 Leaf and we are looking to buy an extra 220V Level2 charger, so as to be able to keep one in the car, and keep the other one hanging on the wall in our garage....

The 2018 comes with the 296M1-5SA0A Level2 charger.

My question is, Are the Level2 chargers, which accompanied the previous-generation Leaf, functionally identical, to the current 296M1-5SA0A?

I notice some cosmetic differences (connector handle color is white on the older ones) but apart from that, they seem to be the same thing...

As the dealer wants north of $800 US for a brand-new 296M1-5SA0A charger, and there are older Nissan L2 chargers generally available for $200-300, I'd like to go that route, if possible....

The EVSE included with older LEAFs is 120V L1 only. Having said that, evseupgrade.com does modify the old ones to make them 240V capable.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably buy a "standard" L2 EVSE for home use and keep the stock one in your LEAF. Alternatively, you could buy a second portable 240V capable EVSE and keep that in the car instead - but make sure to pick one that does both 120V @ 12A and 240V @ 16A (or better) charging.

Also keep in mind that Nissan rather stupidly includes a charging cable (not charger - that's in the car) that requires at least a 40 amp circuit at 240 volts. That one would best be kept in the car for charging at RV parks.

Thanks Folks, for your responses. I ordered a Siemens VersiCharge L2 unit from Costco, As they had them on sale, and I also had some store credit with them.

rwhite692 said:
I ordered a Siemens VersiCharge L2 unit from Costco, As they had them on sale, and I also had some store credit with them.

That Siemens model was the one I was planning on buying when I was doing my EV research. I decided to hold off on getting it, since I got my 2018 Leaf this September and have been working well with just the portable EVSE provided by Nissan. Maybe I'll wait for a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. :D

Back