Intelligent key question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryS

Hi.this is my first post since buying a 2011 leaf sv a couple weeks ago. We absolutely love it. The hardest thing is getting it from my wife. she takes it to work every day. Anyway,i received 2 intelligent keys from the Nissan dealer who owned the car from new, They are 670 miles away so I can't easily go to them but one key fob doesn't work and the key doesn't fit the door. After repeated attempts with the salesman they sent me a cut key and said I would have to get it programmed. The replacement key also doesn't fit the door so they were going to send an uncut key. I gave up on them and decided to buy one online. My question is does the key itself have a chip? I know the remote does but ebay sells keys with and without chips and both claim to fit the Leaf. I really don.t think the Leaf key has a chip and the locksmith I called said he would have to look at it to see if he can program it Sorry for the long post. Just trying to explain the situation.Thanks

The key itself is just a mechanical key with no chip. Any locksmith should be able to cut a new (uncut) key to match the one you have that works. Have you tried a new battery in the second remote before giving up on it?

Any Nissan dealer 'should' be able to program the car to recognize the key fobs. When this is done, ALL of the key fobs need to be with the car. Each key fob has a unique RFID signature, so the car has to be mated with the fobs. When the battery in the key fob dies, you can still get the car to start by touching the key fob against the start button (after you unlock the door with the key).

First, the key is easily cut at any ACE hardware because it is only to open the driver's door.

If you bought the car from a Nissan dealer far away, maybe you can go to a Nissan dealer that is close to you, and the far away seller can make a deal and have the close dealer done for you free?? (Nissan professional courtesty?)

I would replace the battery on the nonworking fob and see if it opens and closes the doors. (since the key was from a different car, then very likely the fob will not work).

If the car does not respond with the new battery, then go to Ace or a locksmith. They have a machine that tells you if the fob is putting out a radio signal at all. You can press the buttons on the fob, and it will tell you if the fob itself is "working".

When you have working fobs that you want to program, you need to go to the locksmith with ALL the fobs you want to program and...... THE CAR. The locksmith needs to plug in a computer to the car, call Nissan for codes, and program the fobs... It may cost $100-150 for the locksmith to do the programming, depending on how greedy he is..

If the mechanical key with one fob doesn't fit the door, then you may have a car that was damaged and had the door replaced. It may also have a bad lock. Have you tried the passenger door with both mechanical keys?

Thanks for all the help. I did try replacing the battery but no go. The drivers door is the only one with a key and it is possible the door could have been replaced without a carfax because the dealership owned it from new but I think they just screwed up and I have someone elses fob. I'm waiting for the locksmith to get back to me. He is super busy and his truck is in the shop. I didn't think it had a chip in the key but ebay confused me. I never tried ace hardware to cut the key but with my Chrysler Walmart and Lowes wouldn't cut a key with the fob attached because they didn't sell the key and the locksmith did it free. Thanks again.

Don't think the worst... Why is someone telling you that they "CHANGED THE DOOR"..??? The real explanation is that they gave you a second fob from another car...

Back