Hello Guys. New Leaf owner here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPP

Hello guys,
I just took delivery of my 2018 leaf SV yesterday. While I am very happy with the car, I am a bit confused with the EVS cable that came with it. It has a 110V plug on it. As I want the 220V for faster charging, will I need to purchase a new cable or just a plug adapter? I cannot find the information on Nissan's website. My dealer was no help. The one sold on Nisan's website in the accessories section appear to look the same as mine and in the description it says 110V/220V.
I do not want to spend money on a new cable as they are expensive. At the same time, I do not want to ruin the onw that came with the car

DPP said:
Hello guys,
I just took delivery of my 2018 leaf SV yesterday. While I am very happy with the car, I am a bit confused with the EVS cable that came with it. It has a 110V plug on it. As I want the 220V for faster charging, will I need to purchase a new cable or just a plug adapter? I cannot find the information on Nissan's website. My dealer was no help. The one sold on Nisan's website in the accessories section appear to look the same as mine and in the description it says 110V/220V.
I do not want to spend money on a new cable as they are expensive. At the same time, I do not want to ruin the onw that came with the car

I thought the new ones came with the 220v adapter from the factory? As I understand it (and I could be wrong) Nissan did that on purpose so that people wouldn't have to buy two separate EVSE cables.

Is this what you have?

2018-Leaf-EVSE.jpg

DPP said:
Hello guys,

Do you have tech package?

Yes; you have dual voltage EVSE

No; You will need to get 240 volt EVSE

FYI; probably not a bad idea to get one exclusively for home use only along with one for road use only. You could use the EVSE supplied for road use but without 240 options, I would recommend EVSEupgrade

The OP didn't add his location to his profile, but if he's in Canada then all 2018 trim levels get the dual voltage EVSE.

Thanks guys.
I am in California.
I have an open case with Nissan. The agent who called me this morning,insisted that the SV came with the L2 charger, So I drove to the dealer i purchased the car from (40 mins drive). The dealer informed me that all the SV they had on the lot had the S1 charger. So i called the Nissan corporate person from there and let her talk to the Sales manager. After going back and forth they concluded the the SV came with the L1 charger. However the SV with the technology package came with the S2. Now i am pissed because i drove all the way there and wasted my afternoon. Hopefully Nissan compensate me for my time ... :)
Can anyone recommend a cheap alternative to the Nissan L2 charger?

DPP said:
Thanks guys.
I am in California.
I have an open case with Nissan. The agent who called me this morning,insisted that the SV came with the L2 charger, So I drove to the dealer i purchased the car from (40 mins drive). The dealer informed me that all the SV they had on the lot had the S1 charger. So i called the Nissan corporate person from there and let her talk to the Sales manager. After going back and forth they concluded the the SV came with the L1 charger. However the SV with the technology package came with the S2. Now i am pissed because i drove all the way there and wasted my afternoon. Hopefully Nissan compensate me for my time ... :)
Can anyone recommend a cheap alternative to the Nissan L2 charger?

You can find several on Amazon or such in the $300 range if you aren't in a hurry. They are generally Rev 1 versions charging at 16 amps so a bit slower but functional since the normal overnight charge is going to replace less than 30 kwh (more likely under 20 Kwh) so even slow 16 amps will charge overnight.

Bump to $500ish and you can get 24 amp models (30 amp breakers) Again, you will want one for the car, one for the house as they will likely plug into a dryer outlet or something similar and should not be plugged and unplugged constantly.

As you'll see in my signature, I'm using this portable Zencar 32A EVSE:

https://goo.gl/M5ZwVJ

It's best feature is multiple amperage set points, which provides the flexibility to use many different electrical supplies (120V/240V, 30 and 50 amp hookups at RV sites, regular outlets, etc).

It's not got GFIC, but otherwise has been a low cost, reliable EVSE for me.

alozzy said:
As you'll see in my signature, I'm using this portable Zencar 32A EVSE:

https://goo.gl/M5ZwVJ

It's best feature is multiple amperage set points, which provides the flexibility to use many different electrical supplies (120V/240V, 30 and 50 amp hookups at RV sites, regular outlets, etc).

It's not got GFIC, but otherwise has been a low cost, reliable EVSE for me.
I have the same Zencar and it does everything I want :)

Back