B mode brake light?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesleaf

I like using B mode.
But my concern is does the brake light come on when my foot is off the accelerator?
The car slows down like I am braking but if there is no brake light on, driver behind me would get pissed.

tesleaf said:
I like using B mode.
But my concern is does the brake light come on when my foot is off the accelerator?
The car slows down like I am braking but if there is no brake light on, driver behind me would get pissed.

No with the earlier Leafs. I don't know about the 2018, but I rather doubt it as I've read nothing about it being added. You could try adding a G-sensing bicycle tail/brake light, in the rear window.

I'm in the same boat so I usually start decelerating in D mode and only go to B mode when it's obvious that I'm approaching a red light or a bunch of stopped cars. I also keep an eye on the driver behind me and as usual, try to keep some distance between the cars both ahead and behind me. Sometimes there is no alternative but to hit the brakes to signal that you're slowing down but normally I have enough time to slowly decelerate at my own chosen rate while still not doing anything drastic. Gradual transitions seem to help so I go easy on the B mode until my speed is fairly low. I'm in ECO mode all the time and I don't know if this affects regen so YMMV.

It does seem like a no-brainer to have the brake lights come on when you get more than two bubbles of regeneration, but it doesn't. So far, not a problem.

We recently got rid of our 2001 Subaru with a 5-speed. I would often take my foot off the gas in third gear, which gives engine braking about equal to the Leaf's regen, and never got rear-ended in the Subaru, either. At least in Seattle, electric cars are probably increasing as fast as stick shifts are disappearing, so there may be a roughly constant fraction of vehicles that slow down substantially without the brake lights. Will that mean that other drivers will be aware and actually watch their overtaking speed? Dream on!

LeftieBiker said:
You could try adding a G-sensing bicycle tail/brake light, in the rear window.

i did not know such thing exist. i will go looking, too. thank you for the tip.
"number of regen bubble" may not equal to slowing down when going downhill.

Back