Help! I'm afraid I bought a lemon leaf....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstacey

Just bought a 2015 leaf s from nissan dealer.
Goes great and I love it, but when I plug it in to charge it ( 240V or 120V) the headlights come on and stay on.
I don't think this is normal is it?
The nissan guy says this is normal for pre 2017 models. I smelll bullsh.....
I would love to know what the experts can tell me about this.

(Also the heater doesn't seem to work very well either: blows cool air. (I live in Winnipeg Canada where it is cold and we need a heater.

Thanks for your help.

I've never heard of the headlight issue, but yes, it's not normal. The heater issue could be a failed resistance (aka PTC) heater, although I'm not sure if that would produce any warm air at all. Others will chime in. It does seem like you may have a car with defects. If they take the car back you may want to look for an SV instead, as that has a heatpump as well and thus has better range down to about -2C.

Your LEAF is a US import and whoever did the DRL install did a crappy job. I bet it was the dealer and you should get them to correct the DRL wiring.

cstacey said:
Just bought a 2015 leaf s from nissan dealer.
Goes great and I love it, but when I plug it in to charge it ( 240V or 120V) the headlights come on and stay on.
I don't think this is normal is it?
The nissan guy says this is normal for pre 2017 models. I smelll bullsh.....
NOT normal. Neither my current '13 nor former '13 Leaf ever did this. We have tons of Leafs ranging from '11 to '18 model year at my work (and we have dozens of J1772 plugs) and none do this. Ditto for all the Leafs '11 to '18 I've ever seen at free public L2 charging or L2 charging in the wild.

As I said, this is 100% due to poor wiring of the DRLs. It's nothing to do with a defect or anything stock...

Basically, whoever did the DRL install was lazy and did the absolute minimum to pass the inspection that's required on all US Leafs imported into Canada.

Just one example, there are others:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=19527

Back