nateads

What to ask for

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:21 pm

I'm a LEAF newbie. My other vehicle is a 2017 Hyundai IONIQ BEV so I wanted to try and stay all battery electric and the LEAF seems to be a good option.

I'm picking up a 2015 SV. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out what the latest firmware for the car should be and latest map version? The car is in Ontario Canada.

I would like to put in a request with the dealer to update both if needed.

I asked about the firmware and was told it's up to date but I trust car dealers as much as I trust a tooth pick to hold up my homes roof.

Any info in the two items would be great.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: What to ask for

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:34 pm

There is no battery firmware update needed, AFAIK. As far as the map goes...don't bother. If they have even updated it so soon it still isn't a good Nav system.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 pm

nateads wrote:2015 SV. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out what the latest firmware for the car

The only thing I can think of that should be checked is the car's cell phone modem or TCU. There is limited functionality, the car can update the map of charging stations, Google_send_to_car can send a destination, you can do a Google search for a destination, remote charging and remote climate control.

In the USA, the early cars had 2G networking. As the 2G network was phased out, the TCU needed to be updated to work with 3G. However, the new 3G modems would hang and otherwise misbehave, and someone would need to pull and replace the audio fuse to restore proper functionality. There was a recent update to these modems that seems to have improved this issue. I think it was TSB NTB18-045

However, I don't know if this applies to Canada.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:08 pm

@nateads I don't know if it will work for a Canadian VIN, but worth a shot:

https://www.nissanusa.com/recalls-vin/#/#/Home

For US VINs, that site will show the status of all recalls/updates for the vehicle in question.

FWIW, Transport Canada lists the following for your car:

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/V ... &ls=0&sy=0
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

nateads

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:00 am

Thank you to everyone for the feedback. It really put my mind at ease when picking up the car.

The only issues I have encountered and hopefully there is an answer to them are.

1. The infotainment screen doesn't flip anymore. The button for it seems to be broken. It clicks still, it just doesn't do anything. Is their a bypass? I know for computer cd ROMs if the tray is stuck there is a hole to push in a paper clip. Is there anything like that for the screen to flip?

2. I'm sure this one is a no, but other than LEAFSpy can you access the cars features such as SOC and climate controls without the paid carwings service?

I ask because one of the private sales I was looking at the guy said you can access those things without a monthly or yearly service but I'm starting to think he was paying for xm and didn't realize that's how the controls worked.

LeftieBiker

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:07 pm

AFAIK they never started charging for Carwings. You do need the 3G TCM though.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

nateads

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:44 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:AFAIK they never started charging for Carwings. You do need the 3G TCM though.

I tried to look up Carwings Canada but it redirects me to Nissan connect which I assume has replaced Carwings.

I enrolled but get an error at the agreement acceptance portion. I looked up the FAQ and it indicates it's a paid service.

Do you have XM radio?

LeftieBiker

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Yes, I have XM, and I've prepaid about 15 months of it. I remember talking with the salesman about extending the free six months of Nissan's over the air roadside/emergency assistance by paying, but as I recall the basic EV Connect service will be free for me, at least for the life of my lease.

nateads

Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:50 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Yes, I have XM, and I've prepaid about 15 months of it. I remember talking with the salesman about extending the free six months of Nissan's over the air roadside/emergency assistance by paying, but as I recall the basic EV Connect service will be free for me, at least for the life of my lease.

I didn't get XM so hopefully I can still get some basic features. My only goal would be state of charge and pre heating/cooling. I don't need automatic start, remote locking and unlocking. I will be calling the help number tomorrow to see what I can get figured out.

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:09 pm

@nateads Sounds like you are Canadian. If the LEAF was imported from the US, then you won't get Carwings/Connect to work. Last I checked, Canadian Nissan dealerships are not permitted to do the necessary TCU hardware upgrade to get 3G connectivity. If it is a Canadian LEAF, then a Nissan dealership should do the TCU upgrade for free as it is a 2015 MY.

Having said that, if all you want is the SOC and climate control timer you don't need Carwings for either.

The SOC is already shown in the dash, just cycle through the available screens to find it.

You can setup the climate control pre-heat/cool via the infotainment center on an SV. Refer to the manual for details...
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”