Newbie in Southwest Virginia - Other Owner's Experiences?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jespcub

Hello all! I've been a long-time lurker and followed developments with the Leaf and community here. I don't want this to be seen as just another "I just got my first Leaf" thread. Hopefully this weekend I can say that, but I want to thank everyone on here that has contributed so much helpful information that has played a role in my decision-making process, especially LeftieBiker's Best/Least Known Tips & Tricks thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23297, and the various posts that pointed me to the InsideEV's used Leaf buying guide.

This got me focused on avoiding the attractively but appropriately priced (after getting a better understanding of battery degradation) '11/'12 model years in the area and set my sights on a 2015 SV trim. My plan is to drive down to Raleigh, NC this weekend and check out an off-lease Leaf with just over 13k miles showing all 12 bars, comb it over with Leaf Spy to determine SOH and if all checks out (Nav/SD, climate control etc...), have it shipped home to me in Pulaski, VA.

In my town, I can only recall seeing 1 Leaf since living here, but I also wanted to hear any input from other owners in the Southwest, VA area regarding their experiences with their Leaf and any other thoughts they'd like to share.

For me, my commute is 32 miles round trip through somewhat hilly country roads at no more than 45-55 mph, well within the capability of an older Leaf even with mild battery degradation, and workplace charging (albeit at L1 speeds) is likely something I can arrange at work, though I didn't bank on that when deciding a used Leaf was a good fit for me. I'm already set with PlugShare and know that the closest public charger (L2 and free) is a moderate drive out of the way from my office but still within range of the car and will be there as an option for those just-in-case situations after work on a grocery run, but I'll primarily be charging off an L2 EVSE at home as soon as I have the appropriate plug, conduit and wire run. Side-note, it's a huge bonus to have a family member that does electrical work for a living.

Sounds like you are doing about the same thing I did in May 2016. I went to Alexandria, VA with Leafspy in hand to check out my 2015 SV and bought it on the spot. I brought a trailer to tow it back to Norfolk with a borrowed truck. You could drive it home with a couple quick charges along the way but the route up I-74/I-77 from Winston-Salem to Pulaski is about the limit of your range from a full charge with nothing but finding an outlet to do L1 charging from if you come up short.

Welcome to the EV community.

BillHolz said:
Sounds like you are doing about the same thing I did in May 2016. I went to Alexandria, VA with Leafspy in hand to check out my 2015 SV and bought it on the spot. I brought a trailer to tow it back to Norfolk with a borrowed truck. You could drive it home with a couple quick charges along the way but the route up I-74/I-77 from Winston-Salem to Pulaski is about the limit of your range from a full charge with nothing but finding an outlet to do L1 charging from if you come up short.

Welcome to the EV community.

Yeah, I had considered trying to drive it home, but after looking at the available charging options along I-77/74 past Winston-Salem, along with the substantial elevation gain toward the end of the journey up and settled on shipping it if I make the purchase.

jespcub said:
LeftieBiker said:
It sounds like you have picked the right Leaf, but you may want to read my used Leaf buying guide - the pitfalls. I'll link it later.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26662

Thanks! I had pored over your thread there as well and that was my primary influence in going with a 2015.

I was confused because I also have a 'Best, least known tips & tricks' guide here.

Back