How does Park work without a transmission?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialgreen

Newbie-ish question! What does the "Park" setting on the shifter actually do?

I was putting snow tires on, and noticed that I could turn the front hub by hand (though not easily). I did not remember putting transmission in Neutral, so that was a surprise.

specialgreen said:
Newbie-ish question! What does the "Park" setting on the shifter actually do?

I was putting snow tires on, and noticed that I could turn the front hub by hand (though not easily). I did not remember putting transmission in Neutral, so that was a surprise.

What you report seems abnormal for me. Did you have both front wheels lifted off the ground?

See extract from Maintenance manual.

Electric shift P (Park) position mechanism
Check that the park button on the selector lever operates properly and smoothly. On
a fairly steep hill check that the vehicle is held securely with the park switch in the P
(Park) position without applying any brakes.

From TRANSAXLE & TRANSMISSION

PARKING MECHANISM
• The parking mechanism consists of the manual shaft, manual plate, detent spring, parking rod, parking pawl
and parking gear, and it is locked/unlocked by the operation of the parking actuator.
• If the parking actuator is operated by the signal from the electric shift control module, the manual shaft and
manual plate that is mechanically connected to the parking actuator rotates sliding the parking rod. The sliding
parking rod pushes up the parking pawl, which engages with the parking gear locking the parking mechanism.

I think this would be normal if both front wheels were off the ground. If you turn one wheel, the wheel on the other side should rotate in the opposite direction. If only one wheel off the ground, this does sound like a problem.

stjohnh said:
I think this would be normal if both front wheels were off the ground. If you turn one wheel, the wheel on the other side should rotate in the opposite direction. If only one wheel off the ground, this does sound like a problem.

Yes, the parking mechanism operarates on the reduction gear, before the differential. Normal if other front wheel is off the ground.

stjohnh said:

Yes, both wheels were off the ground. That must be it. So... "Park" doesn't actually keep the front wheels from turning... it just keeps them from both rotating in the same direction? I think I'll use the parking brake more consistently than I have been! It's pretty common for us to have smooth ice under the curb-side wheels, and pavement under the street side wheels.

Back