Can this battery data be real?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mav06712

Hello,

I'm considering buying a used 2016 Leaf, S trim, 24kWh battery, with 21K miles on the odometer. Upon my request, the dealer send a screenshot of the LeafSpy data for the car with these numbers:

AHr: 64.18
SOH: 103.35%
Hx: 96.24%
1 QC, 740 L1/L2

If it matters, the SOC was 65%. The car is from Washington state. Is it possible that the battery could be in this condition for a 2-3 year old vehicle with 21,000 miles?

Thanks,
Mark

Since this is the last year of the "Lizard" pack, and it's from a cool climate, then yes - it's possible. You'd want a guarantee that it wasn't a BMS reset that will lose SOH rapidly over a few weeks, but it is at least equally likely that you found a great pack.

Thanks for the quick reply! Is there any way to check that this wasn't a reset? Something to look for on a test drive?

It's tougher in a case like this, because a reset would likely just be masking a lower SOH - not necessarily even a one bar loss. So the normal test for this - comparing actual driving range, extrapolated from a modest test drive, with the anticipated range for that SOH and SOC, might not be at all conclusive. In this case I'd suggest that you instead trace the history of the car as precisely as possible, with Carfax, or a report from freevehiclehistoryreport.com (IIRC). If the car really was in Washington State for its whole history, then it likely has a very good SOH even if it isn't quite that high. Some BMS resets, after all, are accidental during service...

When I was looking for my leaf I wanted one from "up north" I didn't want one from NM, TX or AZ at all.
That's pretty sweet a 2016 with greater than 100% battery.

mav06712 said:
LeafSpy data for the car with these numbers:

1 QC, 740 L1/L2

I'd bet on a BMS reset. When things are too good to be true, they usually are not true.

mav06712 said:
Hello,

I'm considering buying a used 2016 Leaf, S trim, 24kWh battery, with 21K miles on the odometer. Upon my request, the dealer send a screenshot of the LeafSpy data for the car with these numbers:

1 QC, 740 L1/L2

If it matters, the SOC was 65%. The car is from Washington state. Is it possible that the battery could be in this condition for a 2-3 year old vehicle with 21,000 miles?

Thanks,
Mark

Yes its possible, what is the price?

BUT...

A new pack starts with 67.20 ahr so you have a pack with 4.5% loss.

ALSO

A long period of inactivity/light activity can depress these numbers a bit. My guess is ahr loss could be as little as 2½% and finally

"2-3 years old?"

You might want to review the calendar.

The vehicle was sold in Oregon, and registered in Washington Oct 2016, so looks like all Pacific Northwest. I'll see how the estimated range changes during the test drive tomorrow to try to get an idea if things are at least roughly consistent with the battery being very healthy.

BTW, I read other places that at least the AHr number shouldn't be affected by a BMS reset. Is that true?

BTW, I read other places that at least the AHr number shouldn't be affected by a BMS reset. Is that true?

A very recent reset fools LeafSpy, period. As it relearns, the AH figure may be the first to become accurate - I'm not sure.

Back