instanoodles
Delivery Date: 28 Jan 2019

Getting a Leaf, looking for advice between S and SV

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:09 am

I am hoping to get some wisdom from people who own a Leaf in cold climates and if the upgrade to an SV is worth it. I live in Atlantic Canada so not usually very cold winters, the car would be parked in a heated attached garage and no one commutes to work. My wife takes the bus to work because she hates driving and I am disabled so I really only drive to my appointments, go shopping or take the dog somewhere to walk. We probably drive 600 kms a month, the longest trip we would make is 90km away and there is a DC fast charger there. Any further and we would use a gas car or fly and I will be getting a membership with a local car share for the gas car.

So I cant decide if an SV is worth the upgrade over an S for me. Preheating with the app would be neat but I am never in a rush so if you can activate preheating in the car I can just do it myself. Navigation is a plus but I could always use my phone and its a city car so I almost never need it. The big thing for me is the heat pump vs resistive but now that I have typed all this out I am wondering if for me it will not be that big of a deal.

Looking on AutoTrader there is a lot of used S models with dc fast charging and only a few SV's. I may be able to get more off the price of an S than I would an SV and the S is already cheaper. What would any of you guys do in my situation knowing how your Leaf preforms in cold weather?

Thanks in advance, we are both looking forward to joining the EV community :D .

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Re: Getting a Leaf, looking for advice between S and SV

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:18 am

I wouldn't even consider an S, if for no other reason than the heat pump. I also think there's a lot of value in NissanConnectEV (even though some would disagree). Better to have it and not need it...than need it and not have it.
My 2 cents.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

instanoodles

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:40 am

Stanton wrote:I wouldn't even consider an S, if for no other reason than the heat pump. I also think there's a lot of value in NissanConnectEV (even though some would disagree). Better to have it and not need it...than need it and not have it.
My 2 cents.

Yeah I was thinking that as well, it is much cheaper to buy it now. Thanks.

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:22 pm

The problem with NissanConnect on an older LEAF is that the 2G TCU (cell radio unit) doesn't work and getting the upgrade done in Canada is almost impossible. Also, many many people have had issues with the "new" 3G TCUs.

Although the hybrid heater does save range, in your case you are doing short trips and not driving the car much anyways. So, range is seldom an issue.

Also, your savings over a gas powered car aren't going to be all that much. I hate to say it, but you might get better value from a gas car...

Of course, if you are making the switch because you want to reduce your carbon footprint then that's admirable.

FYI, my favorite features are: the steering wheel heater, the seat warmers front and back, and the infotainment display. Unfortunately, the NAV is so dated that it's seldom useful.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:36 pm

Mild Winters really showcase the heatpump, and the resale value in your climate would be higher with an SV. Having said that, if you really don't need the range, and just want a basic car (with heated seats and wheel!) then the S should work. You haven't made it clear, though, if you are talking about a used or new Leaf. If the latter, you can possibly (maybe not in Canada) get an SV with no heatpump (or heated seats or wheel) for less than one with with them. I wouldn't recommend one, but they are $1200 less...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

instanoodles

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:49 pm

alozzy wrote:The problem with NissanConnect on an older LEAF is that the 2G TCU (cell radio unit) doesn't work and getting the upgrade done in Canada is almost impossible. Also, many many people have had issues with the "new" 3G TCUs.

Although the hybrid heater does save range, in your case you are doing short trips and not driving the car much anyways. So, range is seldom an issue.

Also, your savings over a gas powered car aren't going to be all that much. I hate to say it, but you might get better value from a gas car...

Of course, if you are making the switch because you want to reduce your carbon footprint then that's admirable.

FYI, my favorite features are: the steering wheel heater, the seat warmers front and back, and the infotainment display. Unfortunately, the NAV is so dated that it's seldom useful.

The only reason our gas bill is high right now is I have a VW golf wagon with the 2.5L, averages about 13L/100km in the winter with all city driving. There is definitely some "We want an electric car" driving our decision. Even if a gas car is cheaper we are willing to spend more to move away from owning another gas car and since we drive so little they seem to fit perfectly.

instanoodles

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:55 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Mild Winters really showcase the heatpump, and the resale value in your climate would be higher with an SV. Having said that, if you really don't need the range, and just want a basic car (with heated seats and wheel!) then the S should work. You haven't made it clear, though, if you are talking about a used or new Leaf. If the latter, you can possibly (maybe not in Canada) get an SV with no heatpump (or heated seats or wheel) for less than one with with them. I wouldn't recommend one, but they are $1200 less...

I am looking at used cars, the new ones are a bit too much to spend on a car that isn't driven much. I try to drive my cars into the ground, usually I only get the sympathy trade in value. I imagine that the battery will be shot by the time we get rid of it so not too worried about resale value. I saw a few SV's without heated seats and it really confused me until the listing said it came from the US. I am going to avoid US cars if I can just in case they came from somewhere hot.

rogersleaf
Delivery Date: 17 May 2014
Leaf Number: 337936

Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:52 pm

In your climate, would not buy any LEAF without:
1). Hybrid HVAC system (aka...Heat pump)
2). Heated seats & steering wheel.

That means an SV or SL the way Nissan spec's these cars. Might also double check for DRL's to ensure it's legal in Canada.

As for the rest of the eye-candy electronics in the middle of the dashboard that comes with an SV/SL, found them to be almost worthless after using it to learn the energy consumption habits of the car. In fact, if Nissan offered an S with the heatpump & heated seats/wheel, I would go simple and pass on the rest of the electronics.
2014 SV - Brilliant Silver - returned 1/2017 at end of lease.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Stanton wrote:I wouldn't even consider an S, if for no other reason than the heat pump.

I know in previous model years, Nissan Canada included a heat pump on all Leaf trim levels. But that does not appear to be the case for the 2019 and possibly the 2018 models.

For the OP's expected usage, I don't think the lack of a heat pump will be an issue, especially if there is charging available enroute or at the destination.

alozzy wrote:Also, your savings over a gas powered car aren't going to be all that much. I hate to say it, but you might get better value from a gas car....

I was thinking that perhaps the OP may be better off with a used PHEV like a Chevy Volt or a Toyota Prius Plug in/Prime for the occasional long trip.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:46 pm

I know in previous model years, Nissan Canada included a heat pump on all Leaf trim levels. But that does not appear to be the case for the 2019 and possibly the 2018 models.

Are you sure that previous Leaf S cars sold in Canada had heat pumps?? I've never seen mention of that before this.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”