For my first silly question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coinneach

Just bought my first Leaf, a 2019 SV Plus, yesterday. So far loving it; it's not as neck-snappingly fast as the Tesla I had before it, but it does fine. Now, on to the silly question:

How much weight can I carry in the cargo area?

I can't find this information anywhere. All I can find is the cargo volume. I'm bit-by-bit graveling a large bare dirt back yard, and pea gravel is about 45 pounds per .5 cu ft bag. Is, say, four bags at a time safe to load?

This isn't official, but assuming that three passengers can weigh up to 750lbs, you should be able to carry that much if driving alone - assuming you aren't driving an SL with the extra-cheap cargo organizer. I wouldn't go over 500lbs regularly, though, because of the rearward placement of the load.

That was a good question.

4 bags is under 200lbs which should be an easy load for the car to carry. Having all the weight that far back could affect the handling and put more weight on the back tires. I'd inflate all the tires to something like 42 psi and then start with 4 bags and see how it handles. I'd bet you could carry a lot more than that without damaging the car or affecting the handling to the point where it is dangerous. Just be careful and go slow while ramping up the weight.

LeftieBiker said:
This isn't official, but assuming that three passengers can weigh up to 750lbs, you should be able to carry that much if driving alone - assuming you aren't driving an SL with the extra-cheap cargo organizer. I wouldn't go over 500lbs regularly, though, because of the rearward placement of the load.

That was a good question.

Thanks. I was a private pilot (and am also a leftiebiker :lol: ); I'm very aware of the effects of aft CG. I don't have a cargo organizer yet, just the flat liner.

I don't have a cargo organizer yet, just the flat liner.

Don't get one. Make one, or have one made. The Nissan version is super cheap, with particle board and sprayed-on "cloth." It also smells awful, I'm told, and has rope in place of hinges. I kid you not.

In my 2018 I routinely put 18 40 lb. bags of wood pellets plus driver and passenger in mine with no adverse effects. That is 1020 pounds.

Before I put the rear cargo organizer in mine I would load mine up with 80 and 94lb bags of concrete and sacks of cement, 40lb bags of coal or wood pellets.
IF I buy cement I would usually buy 1 bag of cement to 7 or 8 bags of concrete.
My heaviest load would be 40lb bags be 4 in the hatch, 4 on the back seat, 2 on the back seat floor, 2 in the front seat, 2 on the front seat floor.
I could bump it to 18 bags no problem I think.
For concrete, divide by 2.
But with the rear cargo organizer I am limited to 120 lb on top of the organizer.
If I needed more than that I would bring my trailer.

Back