Hello from Tasmania

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangersac

Hello all, this forum was a gold mine of information for me when purchasing a used Leaf, so I thought I'd jump in and enjoy the fun. I recently purchased a used 2012 build Leaf, which I know has the crappy battery chemistry, but here in Australia we only received 2011 and 2012 builds, and nothing else before the just released in the last month 40KW car, unless you went the Japanese import route. Anyway the car is in pretty decent shape, it's a Japanese built G spec (has the spoiler solar panel, reverse camera etc) that wasn't registered until the end of 2015, has a SOH of 82% after 28K miles, and was well looked after by the previous owner, with the vast majority of the L2 charging to 80%. Also fortunate is that Tasmania is a pretty nice climate for a Leaf, with daily mean max temperatures ranging from 53-71F, although we do a good line in hills which knocks down the range a bit. Just don't ask me what I paid, as the price of a used Leaf here 's absolutely massive compared to the US!

It compliments a 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (a model which never made it to the US I believe), so most of our driving as a two car family is EV which is nice. Now we just have to hope that one day the charging infrastructure here might actually appear!

rangersac said:
It compliments a 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (a model which never made it to the US I believe), so most of our driving as a two car family is EV which is nice. Now we just have to hope that one day the charging infrastructure here might actually appear!
We finally got the Mitsu PHEV after many many delays, we still don't have the Nissan NV-200(van) available here though :x
I'd seriously think of the Mitsu but it's less than stellar ICE MPG would hold me back, although it sounds like the newest version(but not available here yet :x ) improves on that a bit. Gas is still way too cheap in the US so not a lot of people interested in conserving it :(

LeftieBiker said:
Keep the battery cool, never charge to 100% unless you'll be using it shortly afterwards, but otherwise just enjoy the car.

So far no dramas keeping the battery cool. The highest I've seen it get on the temp gauge is five bars, that's on a section of my commute which climbs 800ft over 6 miles, at highway speeds (65mph here). And yes I do enjoy the car. Despite it being a couple of years older than the Mitsu it's a much nicer drive, although I prefer the regen paddle feature on the Outlander.

We finally got the Mitsu PHEV after many many delays, we still don't have the Nissan NV-200(van) available here though :x
I'd seriously think of the Mitsu but it's less than stellar ICE MPG would hold me back, although it sounds like the newest version(but not available here yet :x ) improves on that a bit. Gas is still way too cheap in the US so not a lot of people interested in conserving it :(

We can't get the NV-200 here either, although some folk have imported them from Japan. And the Mitsu PHEV MPG I think is actually pretty reasonable. With a flat battery and travelling at highway speeds (68 Mph limit here in Tasmania, and we don't have a lot of flat country) I get around 33MPG. I'm ok with that for a good sized SUV.

The highest I've seen it get on the temp gauge is five bars, that's on a section of my commute which climbs 800ft over 6 miles, at highway speeds (65mph here).

That's very good. I've never driven a Leaf with a "Canary Pack" but I consider 5 bars to be the top of the "fine" range.

My canary leaf pack lost 2% SOH in a year and maxed out around 7 bars, maybe 8 over the summer, 5 in the fall, and 2-3 all winter. It's garage kept so it would be 5 bars or less every night.

I think 5 bars is fine and would not worry. The reality is you'll likely need a pack or a car in 5 years or so, depending on commute.

Welcome to the forum!

Back