LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Our search for a second Leaf.

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:03 pm

The 2017, IF it has lost one bar AND hasn't had the BMS update, sounds like a good candidate. Hawaii is hot, so a 1 bar loss in 2 years isn't unreasonable. The car should still have much more range than any 24kwh Leaf. If it had the update, then maybe 6 months has to pass before you can get an accurate idea of what shape the battery is really in. Given your situation I'd be focusing on that car. Offer a wad of cash significantly but not insultingly less than the asking price once you have enough info on the battery.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:24 pm

^^ I agree with this. A LEAF that starts out life with a 30 kWh battery seems like a sweet spot for an inexpensive commuter car.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Nords
Delivery Date: 02 Jan 2019
Leaf Number: 302408

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:30 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:The 2017, IF it has lost one bar AND hasn't had the BMS update, sounds like a good candidate. Hawaii is hot, so a 1 bar loss in 2 years isn't unreasonable. The car should still have much more range than any 24kwh Leaf. If it had the update, then maybe 6 months has to pass before you can get an accurate idea of what shape the battery is really in. Given your situation I'd be focusing on that car. Offer a wad of cash significantly but not insultingly less than the asking price once you have enough info on the battery.

Thank you, this is very good to know.

I'm probably making poor comparisons to our limited experience. Our 2015 Leaf's battery is perched at 88% SOH and nearly 15,000 miles and perhaps it's about to lose its first bar, so I would've expected a 2017 model (two years newer, only 12,500 miles) to be in slightly better shape. But yes, the 2017 will probably always have more range than our 2015 regardless of bars, and either EV has more range than we need.

From a used-car buyer's perspective, I've found that space-cadet sellers can be painful to work with... yet they discourage the other buyers who'd be bidding up the price. They also become very flexible on price as they approach their last day on the island. Especially for a stack of $100s.

And we still have the third seller if this one falls through, as well as whatever comes on the market during the rest of the month. Even after that we have the used-car dealers to work through, although that's a different type of pain.

The more I think about it, the more I like becoming a two-EV garage. Even if a hurricane or earthquake destroys Oahu's electric grid, our photovoltaic inverter has a limited ability to produce 1500 watts of power (during daylight) without being connected to the grid. That's way better than depending on bicycles, dwindling gasoline supplies, and walking.

It'd be a bonus to never do spark plugs or oil changes ever again...
2015 model S, bought in January 2019.

SageBrush

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:21 pm

^^ All EV is wonderful :D

The Europeans and Chinese are moving to an EV future much faster than the retarded Trumper USA, aided in no small part by their willingness to buy small cars. The VW group is gearing up to produce a 20k Euro, 37 kWh air cooled BEV.

That sounds like an almost perfect commuter car, and it will last. Now that I am retired I don't think I will bother to replace my second car (LEAF) when it dies but if I change my mind this spec car would fit us to a Tee
-----

Nords
Delivery Date: 02 Jan 2019
Leaf Number: 302408

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:05 pm

It looks like we're buying the 2017 Leaf on Friday, the day the seller is leaving the island.

The car is in good shape. The seller renewed the registration & safety check before we drove it, so that's fine now. The first owners put less than 10K miles on it in two years, and he's only had it since February (another 2500 miles). LeafSpy says the SOH is 81.90%, which confirms that the car has lost its first battery bar. It's had seven QCs (at Nissan dealers) and 394 L1/L2 charges.

The seller had owned a 2013 Leaf but its battery had degraded to a range of 60 miles, and he says that with the 2017 he no longer felt range anxiety. His long-term plan was to keep the 2017 for years and drive it into the ground, and he doesn't seem particularly happy about selling it.

He had no idea whether the car has had the update to the BMS. We didn't see any paperwork on it (he saved everything from the first owners) but we'll check the VIN with the dealer for that and any other TSBs. The car had no warning lights on the dashboard and no codes on LeafSpy.

He was a little surprised to learn about OBD-II readers and LeafSpy. He was more interested in the tech than worried about it, so I doubt he was neglecting to mention any problems. He's not a car person but he really enjoyed its low operating expenses and did most of its battery charges at his workplace for free.

It's the baseline S model. He's also had several other offers, so $14K turned out to be the right price (at the high end of our KBB & Edmunds values). There might even have been a bidding war, but we're the first buyers to offer cash and we're willing to let him keep the car until he leaves.

The Leaf roof is different than our old Prius roof, so our old Thule rack mounts won't fit the newer Leaf. I'll either have to buy new mounts or buy a new rack.
2015 model S, bought in January 2019.

SageBrush

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:40 pm

^^ Losing ~ 10% of battery capacity a year is harsh. It may be that actual loss is less and the car is misreporting but you will not know that until the car has been 'fixed' and a couple months elapse. If the loss is real and continues, the car will not meet your requirements 2 years from now.

Your other choice to figure this out now (which I would do in your shoes) is to drive the car down to a lowish SoC and then charge up to 90+ percent on an EVSE that reports metered kWh. This is the definitive way to measure usable battery capacity.
Last edited by SageBrush on Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:56 pm

^^ Losing ~ 10% of battery capacity a year is harsh. It may be that actual loss is less and the car is misreporting but you will not know that until the car has been 'fixed' and a couple months elapse.

Yes, that's a big loss. Hopefully the BMS update will do more than get the BMS to misrepresent the SOH for a few months. Do you know if the owner let the car sit at 100% for long periods? That would be my guess, and my advice is, of course, don't do that. Charge in the morning if possible, and time the charges to stop at 60-80%, if that's all you need.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”