2013 w/10 bars -- 80% or 100%?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stellerscrub

Just bought a 2013 SV with 56K miles and 10 bars. Will be using it for around-town errands and round trips of less than 50 miles, and occasionally longer trips with pre-planned QC options.

I have tried to read the many threads on 80% vs 100% charging, but haven't come across an answer to a fundamental question: If the battery capacity is already down to 10 bars (approximately 80% of the original capacity, if I understand correctly), does an 80% limit mean I can charge only to 64% of original capacity?

Or put another way, if I am already down to ~80% of original range, is there any reason not to charge to 100% of the available capacity a few hours before driving?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie figure this out.

You likely have the old battery chemistry, which you can confirm with the build date on the driver's side door sill sticker. If the car was built before April of 2013, you need to baby it by charging to 80 or 90%, to slow further degradation. Also, keep that pack cool! If the car was built later, then keeping the pack cool and charging to 100%, but with the charge ending right before use, should suffice. This is also the better way to use the full capacity for earlier builds.

stellerscrub said:
Just bought a 2013 SV with 56K miles and 10 bars. Will be using it for around-town errands and round trips of less than 50 miles, and occasionally longer trips with pre-planned QC options.

I have tried to read the many threads on 80% vs 100% charging, but haven't come across an answer to a fundamental question: If the battery capacity is already down to 10 bars (approximately 80% of the original capacity, if I understand correctly), does an 80% limit mean I can charge only to 64% of original capacity?

Or put another way, if I am already down to ~80% of original range, is there any reason not to charge to 100% of the available capacity a few hours before driving?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie figure this out.

And to make matters even harder to figure out.....at some point the car's SOC% meter will fail to reach 100%, even if you've charged the car until it stops charging. For example my 8 bar Leaf only charges to a maximum of about 90% and stops charging.

Back