Charger installation question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVnrg

am expecting my Leaf end of July. have been on the wait list seems forever. just had the visit from Baker Electric to estimate cost of installing charger - seems not so straight up an install so more to come there - question: what experience do others have as to how the charger install went and are there alternative options for charging systems other than the Blink with all its 'bells and whistles"

EVnrg said:
am expecting my Leaf end of July. have been on the wait list seems forever. just had the visit from Baker Electric to estimate cost of installing charger - seems not so straight up an install so more to come there - question: what experience do others have as to how the charger install went and are there alternative options for charging systems other than the Blink with all its 'bells and whistles"
Before all the regular eye-rollers chime in, I'll just say that using the search feature here on MyNissanLeaf will yield several well-populated threads on this topic; you might try looking through those. Others will no doubt want to remind you that you already have a charger, it's inside your LEAF. Baker Electric will be installing your Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment, more commonly referred to as an EVSE.

We all were first time posters here once; I got nicely slammed for my first one, but I stuck around anyway. Welcome to the Forum.

Glenn

There is a strong bias for it, if you are in EVProject, of which having Baker come do an assessment, is an indicator.

Also, a factor is what your utility will require in terms of metering the line.
I am happy with my blink, got it for very little upgrade cost due to a difficult install.
also have whole house TOU via LADWP with solar.

Sounds like you're in San Diego. Here's the relevant threads about SDG&E, including a lot of EV Project Blink experiences.

Official California SDG&E Thread
SDG&E introduces EV rate pilot

I've been quite happy with how my install went, I think the San Diego EV Project effort has gone smoother than it has farther north. That said, my install was simple and I didn't have to pay for anything. There ARE alternatives to the EV Project, but none except the upgrade mentioned above are particularly inexpensive. You can find more in the EVSE section. One bit of advice, you aren't committed until they actually come out and do the work, so take your time to evaluate the alternatives.

If you are part of the EV Project, the Blink is free and up to $1200. in installation costs are covered. Baker electric did my installation and everything went smoothly.

I just got my Leaf on May 18th. I am going with the PG&E plan E-9B option. I purchased the equipment for the dual meter system for $850 (electrical supply house) + $200 for the wire (Home depot), and $750 for the Aerovironment charging station. My neighbor helped me install it (He is a licensed electrician), and the city permits cost ~ $164. I am using a Square D dual meter socket box # MP22-125. We did the meter box swap out in one day, including PG&E disconnect and reconnect of main house power, about 3 weeks before the car finally arrived.

I had to wait until I actually took possession of my car to get PG&E to install the second meter. They required proof that I had the car before the would connect the second meter and activate the new account.

BR

BrianR2000 said:
I just got my Leaf on May 18th. I am going with the PG&E plan E-9B option. I purchased the equipment for the dual meter system for $850 (electrical supply house) + $200 for the wire (Home depot), and $750 for the Aerovironment charging station. My neighbor helped me install it (He is a licensed electrician), and the city permits cost ~ $164. I am using a Square D dual meter socket box # MP22-125. We did the meter box swap out in one day, including PG&E disconnect and reconnect of main house power, about 3 weeks before the car finally arrived.

I had to wait until I actually took possession of my car to get PG&E to install the second meter. They required proof that I had the car before the would connect the second meter and activate the new account.

BR

Brian. I've been attempting to get a quote from an electrician to convert to E-9B. Right now the bottleneck seems to be pricing the 'splice box' to install between my existing 200 amp service and the existing 200 amp panel / + new 100 amp panel to be used for the ESV. My service is underground. Can I ask what type of box you're using to split the load between the two panels? Is your service overhead or underground? Thanks!

Back