EV Project-San Francisco

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearlyleaf

Hi-
I am getting my Leaf tomorrow and I am very excited. I do not have a charger yet, but just today filled out the EV project questionnaire to see if I qualify for a free charger. I think I am doing this a bit bass-ackwards, as it seems I should have been alerted to fill out the form on the Nissan website when I reserved the car last year. Anyway, has anyone actually gotten a charger from the EV project? Can you sign up for one and get reimbursed for the fast port after getting the car?

Thanks

Yes, many here are part of EVproject and got free 'Blink' charging stations. Usually people got them before they got the car, so I don't know how you will do signing up last minute like that.

Those in early EVproject areas (such as San Diego) got to order an SL-e with the high speed charge port included for free. Those in later EVproject areas (such as San Francisco) got a $700 check back from Nissan to pay back for the DC port they bought through the dealer.

thanks for the information. was not aware that SD was the "chosen" area for the EVproject, though it makes sense. I suspect that many folks in SF will not qualify because they either rent or do not have garages. I own my home and have a garage.

pearlyleaf said:
...I suspect that many folks in SF will not qualify because they either rent or do not have garages...
I don't think either of those are insurmountable. I know that a few Blinks have been installed outdoors, and I'm pretty sure there was at least one person around here talking about working with their landlord.

Don't forget that, at least the last time I checked, your Leaf must have the DC quick charge option to qualify for the EV Project.

oakwcj said:
The Blink is designed for outdoor use. That is not an issue.

Many contractors will give the option to install it on a plug (which means you could move it if you ever had to) only if installed inside. According to "code" I think outside installs have to be "hard wired" without any plug before the Blink unit.

My unit was installed outside on the side of my house next to the main power panel. I asked if they could put it on a plug, but they insisted on running a conduit directly so it ends up being a more "permanent" sort of installation. I suppose it is a good theft deterrent this way though.

TEG said:
Many contractors will give the option to install it on a plug (which means you could move it if you ever had to) only if installed inside. According to "code" I think outside installs have to be "hard wired" without any plug before the Blink unit.
Mine is on a plug, inside the garage, but if I wanted to move it, I'd have to open the sealed box and unmount it from the wall. Then have an electrician either move my existing outlet, or run a new one, then remount it. Then I could plug it back in. Honestly, having to disconnect a conduit from the Blink and reconnect wouldn't add much to the task. About the only advantage it affords is the ability to plug my modded L1 into the outlet if the Blink should fail for some reason.

very good info. I was holding out for the Leviton because it is entirely portable, but hopefully will qualify for the evproject reimbursement for the quick charge port and charger. right now trickle charging n the garage. I think that will work for some time given how I plan to use it.

btw, what a great car! It is def. the nicest car I have owned to date and I have owned a 2005 and 2007 prius and 2008 CRV.

pearlyleaf said:
I was holding out for the Leviton because it is entirely portable, but hopefully will qualify for the evproject reimbursement for the quick charge port and charger. right now trickle charging n the garage. I think that will work for some time given how I plan to use it.
Be sure not to overlook Phil's EVSE upgrade option. It might be all you need. http://evseupgrade.com/

One important thing to know (which no one from Nissan, or your dealer, or Ecotality tells you) is that you can and SHOULD request the $700 rebate as soon as you get your car, or you might not get the $700 rebate check.

I qualified for free Blink program, which includes the free EVSE and a $700 rebate on the cost of the car's fast-charge port. I was told I'd get the $700 check within 2 weeks of car purchase. More than 3 weeks after delivery, no check. So I contacted the dealer, who said he'd expedite it. More than 4 weeks after delivery, I called Nissan directly and was told there was no record of a request for the rebate. My dealer then forwarded me the email he sent under the procedure Nissan had outlined for requesting the rebates. So, there seems to be a problem within Nissan.

Here's what I learned that may be useful to others:

- Nissan does not issue the $700 rebate unless it gets a request from the buyer or the dealer. Since Nissan seems to have lost my dealer's request, I recommend calling Nissan yourself at 1-877-664-2739 (NoGasEV) to get the rebate process rolling.

- The Nissan customer service rep I spoke to said this is not the first time she has heard of the late rebate checks, and "early on" in Leaf deliveries she requested that Nissan send a communication to buyers and/or dealers explaining the process more clearly. She heard nothing back.

- I think Nissan could simply tell buyers who qualify for the Ecotality Blink program to contact Nissan and request the rebate once the car is delivered. All it would take is adding another feature to the Leaf website -- when it shows that you've qualified for free Blink, the message should also tell you how to get the rebate process going.

- The rep I spoke with said anyone is welcome to call her if you need someone to troubleshoot for you. She is Lindsay at 1-877-664-2738 Ext. 457271.

Sherry

Back