Orphan Leaf's?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to buy one (an Orphan) last week (I have one Leaf already), but the dealer wanted $3,000 over sticker (I paid $1,000 under sticker for mine). So I told the dealer I was not interested.

An orphan Leaf is a Leaf that was ordered and then refused at the time of delivery. At least that was what was told to me by my dealership.

I am giving an Orphan Leaf a home, and it is proving to be a great relationship :D I was deep on the waiting list, and happened to call the dealer just as someone apparently decided not to take delivery. My luck :) I paid straight MSRP . My question though is why wouldn't they go to the next name on the waiting list?

Dennis

DennisL said:
I am giving an Orphan Leaf a home, and it is proving to be a great relationship :D I was deep on the waiting list, and happened to call the dealer just as someone apparently decided not to take delivery. My luck :) I paid straight MSRP . My question though is why wouldn't they go to the next name on the waiting list?

Dennis
Originally they were I think, now they have discovered that re-shipping the vehicle to another person is not as easy, or cost effective to just go ahead and sell it to someone else that wants it. When I got mine -#567, I was told if I didn't take it (FAT CHANCE) it would go to the next person in line, and I got the feeling the dealer wasn't too happy with that arrangement, but Nissan corporate was trying to fill long standing promises. Now they are delivering more and more, so it is not as big an issue perhaps, and the dealers can turn a profit on the sales.

Robert said:
I tried to buy one (an Orphan) last week (I have one Leaf already), but the dealer wanted $3,000 over sticker (I paid $1,000 under sticker for mine). So I told the dealer I was not interested.

Do you know if you'd be able to claim the Fed tax credit more than once (provided it's in a different tax year) or are we limited to just one?

The fed tax credit should be per car, but only claimed in the tax year that you bought the car. So, buy 2 in 2011, then go for $15,000 tax credit next January or April, I believe! :D

garygid said:
The fed tax credit should be per car, but only claimed in the tax year that you bought the car. So, buy 2 in 2011, then go for $15,000 tax credit next January or April, I believe! :D

Most people don't get the full $7.5K in the single year, so I'd definitely spread them around...

foobert said:
I went to my neighbor dealer and was prepared to get on the waiting list 2 weeks ago. Premiere Nissan in San Jose had ~10 orphans on the lot. I was able to get one and drive off the lot that day for $1250 under sticker.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewto...onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't pay more just because it's orphaned!
Wow! While I was waiting for mine, PNSJ had a couple of orphans available around August for well over MSRP. Now they have 10? How quickly things change.

foobert said:
I went to my neighbor dealer and was prepared to get on the waiting list 2 weeks ago. Premiere Nissan in San Jose had ~10 orphans on the lot. I was able to get one and drive off the lot that day for $1250 under sticker.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewto...onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't pay more just because it's orphaned!
At least it worked out well. I've heard terrible things about Premier Nissan.

Friend of mine was trying to buy an Altima Hybrid last year and they pulled a bait and switch on him. He ended up buying an Accord instead.

I'm not sure if ours is considered orphaned. It was on a used car lot in Encinitas and we bought it while on vacation and had it shipped to CO from there. Someone in Santa Barbara bought it and then moved and their new commute was longer than they were comfortable with so they traded it for something else and we got it with 1700 miles on it.

Related: We love it.

McDavis said:
I'm not sure if ours is considered orphaned. It was on a used car lot in Encinitas and we bought it while on vacation and had it shipped to CO from there. Someone in Santa Barbara bought it and then moved and their new commute was longer than they were comfortable with so they traded it for something else and we got it with 1700 miles on it.

No, I wouldn't define yours as orphaned.

Hopefully you got a good enough deal on it and couldn't qualify for the full $7500 Federal tax credit if you'd bought new...

cwerdna said:
McDavis said:

Hopefully you got a good enough deal on it and couldn't qualify for the full $7500 Federal tax credit if you'd bought new...

We're going to try. The worst they can say is no.

McDavis said:
cwerdna said:
McDavis said:

We're going to try. The worst they can say is no.
Per http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The following requirements must also be met for a certified vehicle to qualify:
* The original use of the vehicle commences with the taxpayer—it must be a new vehicle.
Was your tax liability too low in 2011 to qualify for the full $7500 credit if you bought a new Leaf? If not and you paid the price (or more) of the equivalent Leaf minus $7500, you likely paid too much for a used one.

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/incentives/index#/leaf-electric-car/incentives/findIncentivesByRegion/Colorado" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; also leads to http://www.nissanusa.com/ev/media/pdf/incentives/nissan-leaf-incentive-17.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I don't know the details about this and whether a purchasing a used EV would qualify.

Back