Outrageous quote from my dealer!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimjudy

I just received my quote from my Nissan dealer that is $5K over the MRSP! When I questioned this quote he emailed back and told me the following:

Thank you for the note.
The Leaf is in very limited supply and we are allowed only one (1).
The demand and very short supply of this car has many dealers charging much higher prices than the $5000 over MSRP market adjustment. In fact we found other stores marking the car up as much as $10,000.
Please keep in mind you will be getting up to $7500 federal tax credit on the car.
Thank you for your input.
Regards,
Ted
Ted Wilde
Customer Relations Manager
Thomas Nissan of Joliet
Main: (815) 741-5353
Fax: (815) 730-9065
[email protected]

Is this normal? I wasunder the impression that it was MY Leaf...not the dealers. What are my options here? Please help!

jimjudy said:
Is this normal? I wasunder the impression that it was MY Leaf...not the dealers. What are my options here? Please help!

This is a car you ordered using the normal online ordering process? If so, it's time to change your preferred dealer to one who will work with you at or lower than MSRP. Don't let your car find it's way anywhere near this dealership!

jimjudy said:
After you've "reserved" a Leaf, it's normal to go through the "quote" process with a dealership. The "quote" process is where you'll negotiate the price with the dealership, so really it's a "take it or leave it" situation. If you don't like this dealership's price, you have the right to contact other dealerships and receive quotes from them as well.

Unfortunately, even after the "quote" process it isn't "your" Leaf yet and things can sometimes still change.

DarkStar said:
Unfortunately, even after the "quote" process it isn't "your" Leaf yet and things can sometimes still change.

+1. Once you've agreed your cash price with the dealer get it in writing other than where the deal is shown on the Nissan LEAF website. Have him itemize it to include all options, the delivery charge, taxes, and even things like DMV charges.

If you plan on leasing, having him also confirm the lease money factor (this is where a number of dealers have been getting slimey). It might also be a good idea to line up your own financing, as a backup to any tricks the dealer will try to pull if you have to finance through them.

At the end of the day, many car dealers will be car dealers. But there are few ethical ones out there, if you look hard enough. You still have all the chips on your side of the table. Don't give this dealer the upper-hand. Good luck.

jimjudy said:
I just received my quote from my Nissan dealer that is $5K over the MRSP! When I questioned this quote he emailed back and told me the following:

Thank you for the note.
The demand and very short supply of this car has many dealers charging much higher prices than the $5000 over MSRP market adjustment. In fact we found other stores marking the car up as much as $10,000.
Please keep in mind you will be getting up to $7500 federal tax credit on the car.
Regards,
Ted
Ted Wilde
Thomas Nissan of Joliet
[email protected]

No it is not normal and it is a rip off, report them to Nissan and get your deal somewhere else, you could even buy it in Tennesee and take it back to your state and register it for your rebates! Counter over him back 5k under MSRP!

Even Orphans are often available at MSRP. Do NOT order from this dealer. Also, the dealer only being allowed to sell one (1) LEAF is not likely to be true. I would DROP this dealer and try to find a (more nearly) HONEST dealer.

SO, call dealer(s) and negotiate prices and deals BEFORE doing the on-line RAQ.

Then, if the specific quote you get back (in response to your RAQ) from your chosen ("preferred") dealer is not what you expect (or good enough), RUN AWAY, and find another dealer who will treat you more like a friend.

I investigated five dealers before I settled on the one I chose. Some were disqualified because they couldn't afford to become LEAF certified. Of the last three, I checked the Better Business Bureau to see if they had any complaints and that disqualified two. The last one had no complaints and was willing to sell at MSRP, although they did make about $600 on our trade in. As far as the Dashboard is concerned I changed that three times and had no trouble with it. My preferred dealer indicated that when you do so, an email is sent to the dealer letting them know that you have selected them. Of course, do some checking and calling while making your decision.

By the way I forgot to mention, but fortunately someone else hit the nail on the head. Get your price established before you RAQ. You can change dealers on the dashboard as long as you aren't in the RAQ process. HOWEVER, once you RAQ that dealer you are locked in until the quote is returned. I've heard where some dealers will drag their feet getting the quote out so that as the time for the delivery of your LEAF draws near, you won't have time to change dealers and get another RAQ from any other dealer without disrupting the delivery of your LEAF.

You may now know why there are only allocated one: they sell so few because of their sales practices!

Run, don't walk, away from this dealer!

jimjudy said:

jimjudy said:

Thank you for the note.
Regards,
Ted
Ted Wilde
Thomas Nissan of Joliet
[email protected]

Is this normal? I was under the impression that it was MY Leaf...not the dealers. What are my options here? Please help!

Write back and tell him that quite plainly you aren't paying his quoted price, his information about how many LEAFs he's allotted is incorrect and rather that LEAF was allotted for YOU. Also that's nice that other places are charging $10,000 over MSRP, good thing he's focused on customer relations and satisfaction, right? Wouldn't want to get a bad name *ahem*

But if push comes to shove, I'd do what everyone else here on the forums is suggesting; don't give them your business and get your LEAF somewhere else. I'm almost tempted to write a letter to him just to complain and let him know that the word is getting out about their business practices. Hope the best for you though!

Simply reject the quote as you've got at least these three other Chicago area dealer's that should quote you MSRP without a markup ...
(copy and paste from thread on what dealer's will sell at or below MSRP, as I expect to buy mine from McGrath, I've listed the dealer contact)

Todd Tifft, Internet Mgr
McGrath Nissan in Elgin
945 E. Chicago Street
Elgin, IL 60120
847-695-6700 x305
[email protected]

Liberty Imports – Libertyville

Martin Nissan - Skokie

All three dealer's quoted MSRP and in IL the doc' fees are state regulated (can't exceed $156.08 for 2011).

Leaftogo1 said:
Counter over him back 5k under MSRP!

I wouldn't even waste my time writing back to this dealer. You will have to wait 24 hours to choose a different PD, but that will give you time to call other dealers in your area and get a deal in writing before you change your PD and RAQ again.

TRONZ said:
What a joke. Dealers get as many LEAFs as people order from them!

Actually, that has changed. The dealers now have a LEAF cap (no pun intended) that they didn't used to have. Nissan changed it toward the end of the first wave.

LEAFfan said:
Actually, that has changed. The dealers now have a LEAF cap (no pun intended) that they didn't used to have. Nissan changed it toward the end of the first wave.

so now dealers get a standard allocation in addition to the orders they get thru the RFQ system?.. I missed it when they made this change.

Herm said:
LEAFfan said:
so now dealers get a standard allocation in addition to the orders they get thru the RFQ system?.. I missed it when they made this change.
No, it sounds like a limit on the number of orders they can process in a month. If true, it will probably kill the discounts that have been available up to now. It might even fuel big markups like have plagued Volt sales.

Back