Does evseupgrade.com void warrenty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jopeters

I ordered a 2012 Nissan LEAF™ SL trim :) . I will leasing it for 3 years. I am having a home built with a 220V outlet in the garage. The house will be done around the end of November, before I get the car. I am trying to avoid the $2000 Charger Nissan wants me to purchase. So I have a few questions?

With a 220V outlet in the garage, what could I expect to pay for Nissan's Charging station to be installed?

Would using one of evseupgrade.com units that lets you charge 110V or 220V void my warranty or cause a problem with my lease?

Is there less performance using the evseupgrade.com 110V or 220V unit?

jopeters said:
I ordered a 2012 Nissan LEAF™ SL trim :) . I will leasing it for 3 years. I am having a home built with a 220V outlet in the garage. The house will be done around the end of November, before I get the car. I am trying to avoid the $2000 Charger Nissan wants me to purchase. So I have a few questions?

With a 220V outlet in the garage, what could I expect to pay for Nissan's Charging station to be installed?

Would using one of evseupgrade.com units that lets you charge 110V or 220V void my warranty or cause a problem with my lease?

The performance of the unit is better on all accounts. There is no issue with the warranty of your car or your lease.

Nissan is pushing the Aerovironment (often called AV on this board) charging dock. AV tries to charge everyone over $2000 for the hardware and installation, regardless of how simple it is. You can sometimes talk them down a ways, but not enough to make it worthwhile.

The only possible question about the EvseUpgrade might be whether Nissan would complain about modifying their equipment if you return the car at the end of lease. There are two simple answers to that:
  1. Get an additional upgraded unit for far less than you would pay AV, rather than upgrading the one that comes with the car.
  2. Swap units with someone here on the board before you return the car. Mention that possibility at the end of your lease and I'm sure you would be deluged with offers.

Ray

planet4ever said:
There are two simple answers to that:
  1. Get an additional upgraded unit for far less than you would pay AV, rather than upgrading the one that comes with the car.
  2. Swap units with someone here on the board before you return the car. Mention that possibility at the end of your lease and I'm sure you would be deluged with offers.
The FAQ on the site covers both of these issues (the warranty and the lease), and offers a third possibility. Phil offers to swap your modded unit out for an unmodded if you need him to...but you won't.

planet4ever said:
Nissan is pushing the Aerovironment (often called AV on this board) charging dock. AV tries to charge everyone over $2000 for the hardware and installation, regardless of how simple it is. You can sometimes talk them down a ways, but not enough to make it worthwhile.

The only possible question about the EvseUpgrade might be whether Nissan would complain about modifying their equipment if you return the car at the end of lease. There are two simple answers to that:

Ray

Sounds like a plan :D BTY how long is the cord for the EvseUpgrade? Can EvseUpgrade.com add more length to the cord if needed? Sure would handy, you just never know what situation you will be in to plug/charge to car.

What is the cost of 220V EVSE unit /110 Volt adapter included (no swap), buying out right the whole unit from EvseUpgrade.com? Still waiting on response from them on the price, thought someone else might know.

jopeters said:
What is the cost of 220V EVSE unit /110 Volt adapter included (no swap), buying out right the whole unit from EvseUpgrade.com? Still waiting on response from them on the price, thought someone else might know.
All of the various prices are on the order page: http://evseupgrade.com/styled/
Be sure to get the 120v adapter so you can continue to use it a regular wall outlet. Also plan on ordering two or even three of the L6-20 pigtails as you'll end up wanting to make adapters for various 240v outlets.

As far as extending the cable, they don't do that, but you can buy an extension cord for the L6-20 in any length you could want here: http://www.stayonline.com/nema-20-amp-locking-plug-208v.aspx
Choose the ones from that list that have L6-20 listed for both the plug AND the connector and are rated for 20amps.

jopeters said:
My home is OEM built with a preinspected 40a EV circuit. Nissan's AV contractor wanted just over $2,100 to set me up. :x
Seems a lot to twist on three wire nuts :roll:

I ran 3/4" conduit about 35' and installed a box. plug and 40A breaker for under $120 on my own.

has anyone approached Nissan/a dealer about the warrenty question, I'm very curious what they say. Seems like they keep track of all kinds of things about the charging. Years ago I had VW stick me with a mass air flow intake cleaning charge of $800 because they said the fuel I used was "contaminated", they held up a vile of it and said "see the color is off, we can't warranty this". I guess I just have learned the hard way to be extra paranoid about these things.

I guess in pretty short order there will be many different brands of charging stations out there, and since the actual charger is in the car and is designed to protect the vehicle, maybe Nissan won't try and find excuses like this to get out of warranty work.
g

GaslessInSeattle said:
has anyone approached Nissan/a dealer about the warrenty question, I'm very curious what they say. Seems like they keep track of all kinds of things about the charging. Years ago I had VW stick me with a mass air flow intake cleaning charge of $800 because they said the fuel I used was "contaminated", they held up a vile of it and said "see the color is off, we can't warranty this". I guess I just have learned the hard way to be extra paranoid about these things.

I guess in pretty short order there will be many different brands of charging stations out there, and since the actual charger is in the car and is designed to protect the vehicle, maybe Nissan won't try and find excuses like this to get out of warranty work.
g

From the EVSE upgrade site:

Will having my cord upgraded void my warranty?
It will not void the warranty on your car. In the US we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products. Among other things, It prevents manufacturers from denying warranty coverage from aftermarket upgrades. The only way they can deny a claim is to unequivocally prove that the upgrade did damage to your car. (see previous question) However, the warranty coverage on the EVSE itself will be voided. However, We stand behind our work and cover the upgrade for a period of 1 year, which offers additional peace-of-mind.

There are other wall-mounted 240V EVSE that you can get, one at $795 I believe. One comes with a plug that you can use with your socket.

Would the dealership know, when they run the testing/maintenance on the Nissan Leaf, if you had used a evseupgrade.com unit? With the computer system on the Nissan Leaf, it is a concern.

jopeters said:
Would the dealership know, when they run the testing/maintenance on the Nissan Leaf, if you had used a evseupgrade.com unit?
No, the car has no idea what EVSE it is plugged into it just records current/voltage used.

jopeters said:

Last year I likewise built my home to be EVSE ready. I then ordered a cash-and-carry unit from AV, so it only cost me $871.07 total (see this post). Of course, now the cash-and-carry price has gone up, I believe to nearly $1K, but it is still a lot less than paying for a pre-inspection!

As for the evseupgrade, I will most certainly order one of those as well when I take delivery, but I'll keep it in the LEAF for on-the-road charging and use the AV unit at home. I don't like the idea of having to move the cable in and out of the car daily, although other forum members have no problem doing this.

I'm happy that you'll get your LEAF soon. As for me... I doubt I'll see mine until 2013 now, given the recent changes in the rollout plan. Sigh....

KevinSharpe said:
jopeters said:
Would the dealership know, when they run the testing/maintenance on the Nissan Leaf, if you had used a evseupgrade.com unit?
No, the car has no idea what EVSE it is plugged into it just records current/voltage used.

I remember reading a post from someone who only used the stock EVSE and when he took the car in, they somehow knew it at the dealer and pressured the guy to get a 240v charger... not sure how they could track that. I'll see if I can find the thread.
g

GaslessInSeattle said:
not sure how they could track that.
the car logs whether its been charged on 120V or 240V so they can distinguish between those two scenarios... however, they cannot identify the EVSE manufacturer from the communications protocol between the car and EVSE (the protocol is simple and is mainly concerned with maximum current available from the wall and whether the cable is plugged in, etc).

KevinSharpe said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
the car logs whether its been charged on 120V or 240V so they can distinguish between those two scenarios... however, they cannot identify the EVSE manufacturer from the communications protocol between the car and EVSE (the protocol is simple and is mainly concerned with maximum current available from the wall and whether the cable is plugged in, etc).
I think the guy simply told them how he'd been charging the car. The "communications protocol" hardly deserves the name. It's simply a waveform that identifies the amperage available. The car places a load on that signal (pulls it down with a resister) to tell the EVSE to turn the juice on. The car can't even tell what voltage is available until after the power is turned on and it samples it.

Folks, it's a charge cord. Most dealers don't even know it comes with the car and they don't track them in any detail or have a clue as to how they work. When you turn your car in they want to see something is there assuming they even look.

KevinSharpe said:
GaslessInSeattle said:

Does the evseupgrade have a unique W/A signature and is that tracked through carwings/telematics? I'm a fan of the evseupgrade, just want to know what people should be aware of before going that route, even still thinking about it myself.

I'm also still curious if anyone has approached Nissan and simply asked them about using various types of EVSE's and if this one in particular meets their liking. I don't get the impression there would ever actually be an issue caused by the EVSE, my concern is Nissan scapegoating a warranty issue by finding excuses. I only know VW was shameless about such things and didn't give a crap about the legality of it.
g

Back