charging with 220

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iris

Is there a way to tell how many KwH have been used to charge the car? Other than looking at the meter?

iris said:
Is there a way to tell how many KwH have been used to charge the car? Other than looking at the meter?
There are two ways:

1) Charge at 120 volts (unfortunately, this isn't as efficient) and plug the charging dock into a Kill-a-watt meter (which is plugged into a wall socket)

2) Get a charging dock that has this information. I think the Blink unit does, not sure about other units. AV unit doesn't have this.

Buy and install a TED (The Energy Detective) monitoring system.

The TED 1000 series can monitor any single circuit and has simple software and displays. The TED 5000 series can monitor several circuits, including solar or wind generation, and whole house usage, and can produce graphs and history reports.

TED systems are typically installed inside an electrical panel and transmit data over your household wiring system to a router and then to your PC.

I routinely use a TED 5003 system.

http://www.theenergydetective.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: DANG, Planet beat me by 3 minutes!

You could try the method DaveinOlyWA came up with:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/blog.php?u=291&b=92" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've ordered this meter for $45.03, shipped, and it will be arriving in a few days. Yes, it needs to be manually read and logged, unlike some of the fancier options, but it also has the benefit of being simple. More:
DaveinOlyWA said:
its a pretty easy DIY job. wiring is simple. i had to undo wiring to change plug to L-20 anyway...

got the meter at place in FL http://www.hialeahmeter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

click on "meters" then remanufactured meters and i got the "ez read"

http://www.hialeahmeter.com/siphwame.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

was (and still is ) $17.50 and you will need a mounting plate with it that costs $10.50. the rest is shipping.

but works pretty good for me. i am up to 380 kwh read thru the meter and best part. total cost was about $50 and that includes conduit, wiring (and a few parts i bought but did not need but they were only a few bucks and did not want to make a 2nd trip to hardware store)

iris said:
thanks for the tips.
So I think I've also found another way..just want to check that this makes sense. Chargepoint charger is 7.2 KwH, and if I know how long I charged for, which is on the display, then I've got it right?

iris said:
quote="iris"]Chargepoint charger is 7.2 KwH, and if I know how long I charged for, which is on the display, then I've got it right?

ChargePoint will give you full historical usage reports on their website. And their smartphone app will provide you with a summary for each active session. We found from the data other owners have posted on the forum that only about 85% of consumed energy will be stored in the battery when charging at 220V. This means that if CP reported 3.31 kWh used, only about 2.80 kWh will be added to the battery.

Click to enlarge

surfingslovak said:
iris said:
quote="iris"]Chargepoint charger is 7.2 KwH, and if I know how long I charged for, which is on the display, then I've got it right?

ChargePoint will give you full historical usage reports on their website. And their smartphone app will provide you with a summary for each active session. We found from the data other owners have posted on the forum that only about 85% of consumed energy will be stored in the battery when charging at 220V. This means that if CP reported 3.31 kWh used, only about 2.80 kWh will be added to the battery.

Thank you very much...I had looked at the CP website but couldn't find it..but I had to "add vehicle first" so thanks

iris said:
Thank you very much...I had looked at the CP website but couldn't find it..but I had to "add vehicle first" so thanks
Welcome to the forum, Iris. Glad it worked for you. I like ChargePoint, both the stations and their service are great.

iris said:
So I think I've also found another way..just want to check that this makes sense. Chargepoint charger is 7.2 KwH, and if I know how long I charged for, which is on the display, then I've got it right?
That's a good try, Iris, but, no, it doesn't work that way. That 7.2 kWh is the maximum rate the charging station can provide. If you had a Tesla (We can dream, can't we?) and were not trying to charge fully, then that would give you a pretty good estimate. But the LEAF can't pull power that fast out of any charging station. Another factor to consider, regardless of the car, is that charging slows down as the battery gets close to being full.

Ray

iris said:

I'll give you my example with the Blink: I charged for one hour to 80% (3 bars) and the Blink showed that I used 3.5kW hs, even though the charger in the rear of the car is only 3.3. So based on the 85% rule, only about 3kW hs went into the battery pack.

surfingslovak said:
iris said:

Hi again, so I added the vehicle to the CP website yesterday and charged the car last night and the vehicle usage shows no history, So how long does it take to be available on the CP website? Does your usage show your home CP too or just when you use the access card?
cheers
Iris

iris said:
Does your usage show your home CP too or just when you use the access card?
Iris, I believe that their website is updated almost instantaneously. I don't have a CP station at home, and I can't answer your question directly, but I can see the data for every session initiated with their access card at a public terminal.

Best,
George

LEAFfan said:
What happened with the last entry? It showed you were there around an hour, but hardly any charging.
Oh, the L2 terminal was taken and I plugged in Nissan's portable EVSE into the L1 socket. It seemed to work at first, but was showing an error when I returned, perhaps it wasn't properly grounded. This was at Solyndra, and I learned from their employees that they were not able to use L1 sockets built into the Coulomb stations successfully. Impressive attention to detail BTW :)

Here's what I did: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;)

the blink charger gives you the cost of each charge and the kwh used for each charge.
And it keeps up with monthly cost.

Got it all sorted now....I had to get my chargepoint charger provisioned to the chargepoint website and now it all works fine...thanks for all your comments and tips
cheers
Iris

Back