Best Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlestonleafer

While I anxiously await the arrival of my Leaf, I've been doing a lot of reading on chargers. Which is the best charger for the money? I see that people are doing the EVSE mod, but what if I want to use it as a 120v sometimes when a 240 isn't around? Maybe I should just buy an already modified unit, so I can keep my original? Aerovironment is coming to my house tomorrow. I'm sure I won't use them, simply because I've read all over this forum that they're really expensive. I'd rather just run the wire myself, and have an electrician connect the ends to the Breaker panel and the charger. Anyway, what unit do you guys suggest for charging?

charlestonleafer said:
but what if I want to use it as a 120v sometimes when a 240 isn't around? Maybe I should just buy an already modified unit, so I can keep my original? Aerovironment is coming to my house tomorrow. I'm sure I won't use them, simply because I've read all over this forum that they're really expensive. I'd rather just run the wire myself, and have an electrician connect the ends to the Breaker panel and the charger. Anyway, what unit do you guys suggest for charging?

The EVSE mod makes the unit dual-voltage....it can still be used on 120v.

AV will sell you a unit on a cash-and-carry basis. It's something like $950, and you get a 3 year mail-in warranty rather than the 3 year in-home warranty you get with an AV installed unit.

There is no problem using the evseupgrade modified portable EVSE on L1 (120V).
You wouldn't necessarily need two. Personally I don't carry the portable EVSE with me unless I am going on an unusual trip that could test the range. Usually I am within comfortable distance of public charge spots in case I got into a low charge situation.

Okay, so maybe I don't understand the EVSE mod, what kind of plug does it have on the end that plugs into the wall? I thought after the conversion the plug wouldn't be a standard 120v plug?

It does come back converted with a 240 volt plug on it, but he also sells a simple adapter that it can plug into to go back to a 120 plug. Check out his website.

after the mod. is made it will have a 220v circular plug end. but they also offer a short length of cable that has a converted 110v end on it.(for $25.00)
http://evseupgrade.com/?2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

charlestonleafer said:
Aerovironment is coming to my house tomorrow. I'm sure I won't use them, simply because I've read all over this forum that they're really expensive. I'd rather just run the wire myself, and have an electrician connect the ends to the Breaker panel and the charger.

:shock: :shock: CANCEL THE APPOINTMENT TODAY :shock: :shock:

Save yourself the $100 to put toward your own installation.

Once I get a wall unit I will send in my OEM Nissan unit to get modified.

I really want the Nissan unit to stay in the vehicle for charging on the road rather than using it full time at home.

Here is a quick summary of what I think are the best options right now:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5842

I have been using the included L1 since May and driving close to 50 miles per day average. So don't panic to have something before your car arrives unless you have a very long commute.

DarkStar said:
charlestonleafer said:
Which is the best charger for the money?
The one that works! :D The cheapest one is the EVSEupgrade.com modification of the existing Level 1 EVSE that is included with the Nissan Leaf.

yes, it is the cheapest if you are upgrading the unit that comes with the car or if you just purchase it outright with the upgrade. For a Leaf only, this is probably the best charger. If you are thinking about future electric cars, then there is some merit to getting a unit that has a higher current carrying ability.

I've not used one, but I suspect from reading post here that the Blink will not be at the top of this list....too many issues. The only one below it would be the non-shipping, and when it does, non-functioning EVAmerica unit.
Not too many complaints about the AV unit other than the sleazy sales tactics and outrageous installation charges. Otherwise it seems to be a good unit.

Actually this exact question just got asked and a lot of responses were forthcoming:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back