dklabjan
Delivery Date: 05 Dec 2011

AV: Never seen such a horrible customer service

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:33 pm

I have scheduled a home assessment with AV and was at home from 1-5. No technician. No call from AV to apologize and reschedule. I called them a week later and rescheduled an assessment. They said they would tell me a specific hour 24 hours in advance. Clearly no call from them. Again, for the second time during the scheduled date of the appointment I was at home 1-5 pm and, guess what, nobody showed up. No call from AV. I called them and requested to speak to a supervisor. Nobody was available, so I thanked them for their service.

This industry will never succeed with such a customer service. Very disappointing and sad. Luckily for them I want the EV industry to succeed and won't blog and teach (I'm a professor) about this horrible experience.

I hope to have a much more pleasant experience with other vendors.

lincomatic
Delivery Date: 06 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 3819

Re: AV: Never seen such a horrible customer service

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:45 pm

That's surprising. They were very good at communicating with me. The guy who came even refined the time window as it got closer. He was also very knowledgeable and forthcoming. My main complaint is that the assessment was a total waste of time and $100. I only did it because I thought Nissan wouldn't let me buy the car without it. All he did was look at the distance between the panel and the location where I was going to install it, and figure out whether or not there was enough capacity in my panel to handle the load (which I already knew it did). I balked when I found out how crazy expensive it was going to be to have them do the install.

redLEAF
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:00 pm

dklabjan wrote:I have scheduled a home assessment with AV and was at home from 1-5. No technician. No call from AV to apologize and reschedule. I called them a week later and rescheduled an assessment. They said they would tell me a specific hour 24 hours in advance. Clearly no call from them. Again, for the second time during the scheduled date of the appointment I was at home 1-5 pm and, guess what, nobody showed up. No call from AV. I called them and requested to speak to a supervisor. Nobody was available, so I thanked them for their service.

This industry will never succeed with such a customer service. Very disappointing and sad. Luckily for them I want the EV industry to succeed and won't blog and teach (I'm a professor) about this horrible experience.

I hope to have a much more pleasant experience with other vendors.

Welcome to the forum ... hopefully you'll take some time to review all the other alternatives to the AV branded charger and find a suitable (and much less expensive) alternative -- I myself am going with a unit made by Schneider/Square D and having it installed by a local electrician for at the very least about $1,200 to $1,400 less than what AV would quote you. I would contact Nissan CS and have them grant to a waiver, save the $100 'fee' and check out the alternatives, it will be worth your time and effort -- it could also be that AV is 'new' to your area (you didn't mention where you're from) but still no excuse to miss an ppt. w/o calling you.
2015 VW e-Golf LE (CPO - 1.2K miles!)
Pacific Blue
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
Cayenne Red
(Chicago 2017) Tesla Model 3
reserved at Highland Park, IL 3/31/16
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

Aeolus
Delivery Date: 0-12-2011

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Aerovironment jobs the work out to local electricians.

After speaking to two different guys who had done work for AV, it did not sound like a very good model. AV tries to buy services below market price and then add their mark-up to charge above market.

If the electrician is busy with full margin work, he might not make the AV call.

Find a reliable local electrician and buy a unit yourself.
2011 Glacier Pearl SL adopted at MossyKearny Mesa, delivered 10/18/11.
Now powered by my 5.16 KW (AC CEC rating) rooftop PV system as part of my PV/EV project.

lincomatic
Delivery Date: 06 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 3819

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Aeolus wrote:Aerovironment jobs the work out to local electricians.

After speaking to two different guys who had done work for AV, it did not sound like a very good model. AV tries to buy services below market price and then add their mark-up to charge above market.

If the electrician is busy with full margin work, he might not make the AV call.

Right, my solar installers used to do AV installs, but AV takes most of the $$ and they said they would only break even unless the particular job was harder than usual to do, where AV would pass the extra markup to them. They stopped working w/ AV and now do Coulomb & SPX installs instead.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:17 pm

Consider yourself fortunate that you didn't waste the $100. Do some research and decide what you need. You may not even need an L2 station at home if your daily mileage is low or you can charge at work. If you do need one, why would you want to pay AV $2K - $3K when you can get another one for half the price? Quite possibly, if you have an unused dryer plug or can install a 240v circuit with an outlet reasonably, you would be happy with what evseupgrade has to offer. (I certainly am.)

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

haykinson
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 6516

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:24 pm

dklabjan wrote:I hope to have a much more pleasant experience with other vendors.

AV was very pleasant on the phone when I called them for my own charger.

As far as I understand they overcharge for having their contracted electrician do the installation. You always have the option of just buying the AV unit and contacting your own electrician to do the job. You'll probably save anywhere from $500 to $1,000 if you do it this way. The downside is you'll have to go without an in-house repair warranty on the AV unit, but with the savings you'll have, that's probably not a giant problem.
- ilya haykinson

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:25 pm

:shock: :shock: JUST CANCEL AND SAVE YOUR $100 :shock: :shock:

You can buy the charge equipment as styling and function suit your whim.
And the installation by a local electrician will be half what AV charges.

Summary of EVSE options
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV

EVDRIVER

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:24 am

Why the heck does anyone even consider using AV when there are better choices. The units are cheap and over priced, the installers are terrible and a rip off. If you have done a basic search on AV then why? I really think people have been sacred into using this scam setup and Nissan is still guilty of playing along. Because people do not understand electricity and what these units do companies like AV are praying on that fear and doubt.
Forum Moderator

Venk
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:58 am

I never got a home assessment done, but I did buy my charger from AV, I never had a problem with calling the home office. From the looks of mine its built pretty well, it has to be since it is rated for outdoor service. I researched the other options and still bought one. It was the only charger that was "Wife proof". For us if the wife had a problem charging, then the EV thing was not going to work.You can get one on E-bay for $600 now for the 15' cable.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”