AV: Never seen such a horrible customer service

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dklabjan

I have scheduled a home assessment with AV and was at home from 1-5. No technician. No call from AV to apologize and reschedule. I called them a week later and rescheduled an assessment. They said they would tell me a specific hour 24 hours in advance. Clearly no call from them. Again, for the second time during the scheduled date of the appointment I was at home 1-5 pm and, guess what, nobody showed up. No call from AV. I called them and requested to speak to a supervisor. Nobody was available, so I thanked them for their service.

This industry will never succeed with such a customer service. Very disappointing and sad. Luckily for them I want the EV industry to succeed and won't blog and teach (I'm a professor) about this horrible experience.

I hope to have a much more pleasant experience with other vendors.

That's surprising. They were very good at communicating with me. The guy who came even refined the time window as it got closer. He was also very knowledgeable and forthcoming. My main complaint is that the assessment was a total waste of time and $100. I only did it because I thought Nissan wouldn't let me buy the car without it. All he did was look at the distance between the panel and the location where I was going to install it, and figure out whether or not there was enough capacity in my panel to handle the load (which I already knew it did). I balked when I found out how crazy expensive it was going to be to have them do the install.

dklabjan said:
I have scheduled a home assessment with AV and was at home from 1-5. No technician. No call from AV to apologize and reschedule. I called them a week later and rescheduled an assessment. They said they would tell me a specific hour 24 hours in advance. Clearly no call from them. Again, for the second time during the scheduled date of the appointment I was at home 1-5 pm and, guess what, nobody showed up. No call from AV. I called them and requested to speak to a supervisor. Nobody was available, so I thanked them for their service.

This industry will never succeed with such a customer service. Very disappointing and sad. Luckily for them I want the EV industry to succeed and won't blog and teach (I'm a professor) about this horrible experience.

Welcome to the forum ... hopefully you'll take some time to review all the other alternatives to the AV branded charger and find a suitable (and much less expensive) alternative -- I myself am going with a unit made by Schneider/Square D and having it installed by a local electrician for at the very least about $1,200 to $1,400 less than what AV would quote you. I would contact Nissan CS and have them grant to a waiver, save the $100 'fee' and check out the alternatives, it will be worth your time and effort -- it could also be that AV is 'new' to your area (you didn't mention where you're from) but still no excuse to miss an ppt. w/o calling you.

Aerovironment jobs the work out to local electricians.

After speaking to two different guys who had done work for AV, it did not sound like a very good model. AV tries to buy services below market price and then add their mark-up to charge above market.

If the electrician is busy with full margin work, he might not make the AV call.

Find a reliable local electrician and buy a unit yourself.

Aeolus said:
Aerovironment jobs the work out to local electricians.

After speaking to two different guys who had done work for AV, it did not sound like a very good model. AV tries to buy services below market price and then add their mark-up to charge above market.

If the electrician is busy with full margin work, he might not make the AV call.

Right, my solar installers used to do AV installs, but AV takes most of the $$ and they said they would only break even unless the particular job was harder than usual to do, where AV would pass the extra markup to them. They stopped working w/ AV and now do Coulomb & SPX installs instead.

Consider yourself fortunate that you didn't waste the $100. Do some research and decide what you need. You may not even need an L2 station at home if your daily mileage is low or you can charge at work. If you do need one, why would you want to pay AV $2K - $3K when you can get another one for half the price? Quite possibly, if you have an unused dryer plug or can install a 240v circuit with an outlet reasonably, you would be happy with what evseupgrade has to offer. (I certainly am.)

Ray

dklabjan said:
AV was very pleasant on the phone when I called them for my own charger.

As far as I understand they overcharge for having their contracted electrician do the installation. You always have the option of just buying the AV unit and contacting your own electrician to do the job. You'll probably save anywhere from $500 to $1,000 if you do it this way. The downside is you'll have to go without an in-house repair warranty on the AV unit, but with the savings you'll have, that's probably not a giant problem.

Why the heck does anyone even consider using AV when there are better choices. The units are cheap and over priced, the installers are terrible and a rip off. If you have done a basic search on AV then why? I really think people have been sacred into using this scam setup and Nissan is still guilty of playing along. Because people do not understand electricity and what these units do companies like AV are praying on that fear and doubt.

I never got a home assessment done, but I did buy my charger from AV, I never had a problem with calling the home office. From the looks of mine its built pretty well, it has to be since it is rated for outdoor service. I researched the other options and still bought one. It was the only charger that was "Wife proof". For us if the wife had a problem charging, then the EV thing was not going to work.You can get one on E-bay for $600 now for the 15' cable.

dklabjan -

You are not the only one experiencing this. I scheduled twice with AV for a home assessment, first time they never called and showed up. I called and they said they would have to reschedule since their local electrician was too busy and I called after the window - as if it is was my fault. The second time, they called half way through the window to confirm that I was still interested in having a guy come out. That made me nervous since they should have called in advance to confirm. Anyway, I said yes and my window was from 10 - 2. At 2 no one showed up so I called and the lady who handles appointments was out and was supposed to call in 45 minutes, two hours later I call again and she says the guy is 45 minutes away.

When he gets to my house he speaks very little English and can't answer a single question I have. Additionally I was told that I would get an e-mail quote in two weeks and never got one even after multiple calls to AV. I was really pissed, and at that point I knew that I was not going to use their electrician for install.

I took some great advice on this forum and used another local electrician and decided to do what they call cash and carry with AV, this is where you can get a waiver from Nissan and just buy the AV unit for cash and have an electrician you prefer install. Most on here will probably tell you to buy a different unit, but I probably did stay with the AV unit because I felt comfortable with it and didn't really like anything better, with the exception of the Blink, but that was about $400 - $500 more.

kayne

Kayne said:
dklabjan -

You are not the only one experiencing this. I scheduled twice with AV for a home assessment, first time they never called and showed up. I called and they said they would have to reschedule since their local electrician was too busy and I called after the window - as if it is was my fault. The second time, they called half way through the window to confirm that I was still interested in having a guy come out. That made me nervous since they should have called in advance to confirm. Anyway, I said yes and my window was from 10 - 2. At 2 no one showed up so I called and the lady who handles appointments was out and was supposed to call in 45 minutes, two hours later I call again and she says the guy is 45 minutes away.

When he gets to my house he speaks very little English and can't answer a single question I have. Additionally I was told that I would get an e-mail quote in two weeks and never got one even after multiple calls to AV. I was really pissed, and at that point I knew that I was not going to use their electrician for install.

I took some great advice on this forum and used another local electrician and decided to do what they call cash and carry with AV, this is where you can get a waiver from Nissan and just buy the AV unit for cash and have an electrician you prefer install. Most on here will probably tell you to buy a different unit, but I probably did stay with the AV unit because I felt comfortable with it and didn't really like anything better, with the exception of the Blink, but that was about $400 - $500 more.

kayne

I am curious, if the customer service was so poor why did you even consider their product? If you have issues with the product in the future would you expect the same or better support based on your experience with AV?

I got a quote from AV. Suffered shock from their quote, when all they had to do was unbolt the existing EV charger from the wall (SPI), mount the AV J1772 unit re-using the existing 240V 40A dedicated EV charging circuit. They could have done the install for the same cost as the assessment and done it in less time than the assessment took. I had my cooktop replaced - same type of 240V 40A circuit. Appliance store charged me $99 to replace the existing cooktop. Replacing the cooktop for $99 was HARDER than replacing my existing EV charger because the cooktop installer had to trim the tile! My EV charger replacement was disconnect the wire nuts, unbolt the existing charger, bolt the new charger to the wall and connect the wire nuts. A less than 30 minute job!

Well, after discussing the realities with AV and them trying endlessly to convince me of the value of $1500 just for the additional testing and warranty of their unit and the install.... Well, I FIRED them! If your warranty is so important and SOOOooo valuable, it tells me there's a problem with your unit and I should look elswhere (or... you're ripping me off - in etiher case, I should go elsewhewere). It's a contactor and a small microcontroller - a lot less than the electromechanical and control systems in a dishwasher, clothes washer, etc. that sell for 1/2 to 1/4 the price and cost 15 times less to install. I know there issues of volume, but on the install side, any competent electrician can install after quickly reviewing the installation instructions for the unit.

The AV unit was $1000 last I heard without installation. And that's a dumb unit with no networking. Dumb units have their pro's and cons vs. a smart networked unit, but even in today's low volumes the dumb units should be well below $1,000 and we're seeing several coming in around $700 and dropping. (edit: I had $1200 for cash and carry AV price, but davewill pointed out the error of my ways! Thanks davewill!)

It's also shocking that with all the margin ($$$$ profit) AV is making on each install, that they can't even provide CONSISTENT, competent service! That's a large negative value add, or more properly - a value subtract. And of course if you talk to Nissan officially about charging they immediately re-direct you to AV where you are misled into their exhorbitantly over priced solution. I guess maybe you could expect that from a car company, but I expect more on service, accessories and negotiating the car price, since the charging install isn't an area of direct competition or profit for Nissan. ANd after being aware of this problem from the beginning, they still send you to AV, and not a more neutral party or at least a FAQ or listing of vendors where they could mark AV as preferred.

Nope. They deliver us poor sheep LEAF purchasers straight to the AV wolves! With all the hurdles to EV adoption and the work they've done to lower the cost of the LEAF, blowing an uneccessary, inflated $1,000 to $1,500 plus to AV hurts the LEAF and hurts the adoption of EVs.

I wouldn't rant quite so much, but when I see how they treat new customers who don't have the advantage of research or prior EV ownership to help them make a right choice and not waste $1,000to $1,500 plus, unlesss they consciously choose to do so being informed of the alternatives. .... Well, it hurts us all, and it hurts the sales of LEAFs and it hurts the quality of air we and our children breathe by having fewer rather than more LEAFs on the road.

Note the Ford deal with Best Buy to get the EV charger hardware Purchased AND Installed for $1499 !!! You can still do better on your own, but if Ford, Best Buy and Leviton - the manufacturer of the charger hardware can under cut AV by $1,000 at retail... Well, paint your own picture!!!

For those doing this now - get a competing quote from a competent local electrician to install and EVSE. You can find them from several sources, even order them from Home Depot and Lowe's. Plug In America's directory of chargers / EVSE: http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ElectricVehicle said:
... Note the Ford deal with Best Buy to get the EV charger hardware Purchased AND Installed for $1499 !!! You can still do better on your own, but if Ford, Best Buy and Leviton - the manufacturer of the charger hardware can under cut AV by $1,000 at retail... Well, paint your own picture!!! ...
I'd wait and see what Best Buy really quotes those installs for before assuming they'll be any cheaper than AV has been. The AV unit is $800 with install, $1000 cash and carry, not $1200. Of course, that just makes the install quotes even more outrageous. The rest of the post is spot on, source and buy your EVSE, then hire a local electrician to do the install.

The AV unit is a cheap plastic box with a few basic parts inside. The Nissan Panasonic unit blows it away in build quality, and components. Every time I hear someone buy one of these I am astonished. Why? I think there is some fear or perception that one must have a wall mounted unit and in a few years these will all be so cheap people will be wondering what the spent so much on a cord and plastic box. Th AV unit is as cheap and simple as it gets and they are ripping people off as bad as Ecotality, EVgo and others are. Watch what happens to these short term money grabs and companies that are squandering taxpayer money. If people on this forum new half of what is really going on in this space they would be more upset then they are. Don't think for a moment this companies care about getting a charging infrastructure out to the public at least not for the reasons people here do.

EVDRIVER said:
The AV unit is a cheap plastic box with a few basic parts inside. The Nissan Panasonic unit blows it away in build quality, and components. Every time I hear someone buy one of these I am astonished. Why? I think there is some fear or perception that one must have a wall mounted unit and in a few years these will all be so cheap people will be wondering what the spent so much on a cord and plastic box.
I agree with you in general, but for those of us living in a condo, a wall mounted charging dock makes a lot more sense. We have periodic breakins to our parking garage by thieves (happened again a couple of days ago, and yes, I live in a very nice neighborhood), and if the unit wasn't nailed down they might very well take off with it. Add to that the concern about liability with a plugin unit (a neighbors child fools with the plug and gets injured) and the wall unit really is the best choice for condo owners.

Stoaty said:
EVDRIVER said:
The AV unit is a cheap plastic box with a few basic parts inside. The Nissan Panasonic unit blows it away in build quality, and components. Every time I hear someone buy one of these I am astonished. Why? I think there is some fear or perception that one must have a wall mounted unit and in a few years these will all be so cheap people will be wondering what the spent so much on a cord and plastic box.
I agree with you in general, but for those of us living in a condo, a wall mounted charging dock makes a lot more sense. We have periodic breakins to our parking garage by thieves (happened again a couple of days ago, and yes, I live in a very nice neighborhood), and if the unit wasn't nailed down they might very well take off with it. Add to that the concern about liability with a plugin unit (a neighbors child fools with the plug and gets injured) and the wall unit really is the best choice for condo owners.
Some EVSE / charger units can mount over the plug, so you have to remove the unit first to access the plug. There are also lockable plastic outlet covers that enclose the plug, like you see on some outdoor outlets. So with the right unit or right locking outlet cover, you can still have the advantages of a plug connected EVSE with some level of additional safety / theft deterrance on the plug. Of course, it's a matter of degree - it wouldn't, nor would the charger, stand up if they come in with a sledge hammer looking to do damage!

Stoaty said:
All outdoor units can be hardwired. For security I would suggest Leviton with an all steel box with locked access to the mounting hardware.

Stoaty said:
EVDRIVER said:

You can buy a NEMA plastic box for about $40 that is very secure. FYI for those that want to protect or secure a unit. People breaking into garages are likely looking for other items besides an EVSE which they likely think is a cheap extension cord.

Interesting email I just got from Nissan:
Jeffrey, we are pleased to let you know that AeroVironment has reduced the standard price of the fully installed EVSE-RS charging dock. As soon as you schedule your assessment appointment, your AeroVironment certified installer will meet with you to prepare your home for the Nissan LEAF™ - and your quote will instantly reflect this exciting price reduction.
Our preferred partner, AeroVironment, provides you with a state-of-the-art charging dock and premier installation services that include:
- UL-listed EVSE-RS charging dock
- 30-amp capability for faster charging in the future
- Personalized household load analysis survey
- Panel upgrades based on your energy usage and load survey results
- Turnkey permitting
- Charging dock testing with or without your Nissan LEAF present
- Hands-on user training
- 24/7 single-point-of-contact support
- On-site unit replacement
- 3-year hardware and service labor warranty
For more details regarding your cost of charger and home installation, please call AeroVironment at 888-700-8034 or e-mail [email protected].
We look forward to seeing you soon to review your home charging needs in preparation for your 100%-electric, no-gas Nissan LEAF™.
==================================================================================
Purchase of the home charging dock and installation is an independent and separate transaction with AeroVironment. AeroVironment sets the price.

They don't say by how much they have lowered the price, but I'm still not interested.

Back